1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Xenical

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Petaluk, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Petaluk

Petaluk Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What do you all think of Xenical?
    My doctor wants me to take it, plus increase my metformin up to twice daily ( 2 x 500mg)
    This was in my original hospital letter from the endocrinologist, who I was receiving treatment from for another condition I had.
    They stated my level was - after fasting then a glucose drink was - was 13 mmol

I’ve been on just 1 x 500mg metformin ( not increased as asked) and have been on very low carbohydrate diet ( under 20g sugar) Atkins style and within 14 - 17 days my fasting blood glucose levels have been around 5.1 - 5.6 ( my dn gave me a meter - )

I was eating tons of carbohydrates before, no one ever mentioned to me how many carbohydrates I was consuming or asked what my diet was :/

2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven’t taken Xenicol myself. However are you loosing weight on low carb and Metformin? I’ve lost over 5 1/2 stone on low carb and Metformin 3 x 500 per day.
    Xenicol, I’ve heard is pretty horrible to take. If you are already losing weight why does your dr want you to take it?

3. Petaluk

@Rachox I am obese. I was 118kg when she wrote the letter. I have since lost weight. About a stone. So maybe her advice in the letter to my GP won’t apply now.

Well done for losing 5 1/2 stone!!! That’s amazing! You must feel so much better :)

So metformin is good then? I worry that it will mess my organs up as it stops you producing insulin or something?!
    I’ve used Xenical in the past - and it is nasty probably would only take it if I had a very high fat meal - just don’t want it to mess up my bg!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Metformin does not stop you producing insulin neither does it mess up your organs.
    It is a mild appetite suppressant and can help with excessive glucose produced by the liver and is considered to be a safe drug which has been around for a long time.
    Having said all that, Metformin has only minimal effects on blood glucose levels, lowering the amount of carbohydrates in your diet has a much greater affect on weight and on overall health as @Rachox has said.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Rachox

Staff Member

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I think @ickihun has taken Xenical.

7. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@Petaluk hello. Things may have changed since I took xenical about 4 years ago but it reacted to fat you had eaten which resulted in awful stomach effects. I was eating more carbohydrates as I couldn't eat fats as you need to fill up on something. I was diagnosed with diabetes soon after. I felt that the xenical just tipped the balance for me.
    If you are losing weight with low carb and are offered the slow release metformin it sounds good to me. Many of us have lost weight like that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Xenical is nasty stuff. My husband was prescribed it for a few years after being diagnosed and he had a miserable time. Eat any more than a speck of fat and you end up having a lost of messy, oily accidents and anal leakage.

He was particularly upset one Greek holiday when, three mornings running, he ended up washing the sheets in our villa as he was too ashamed and embarrassed to let the cleaning maids see the mess. He ate a lot of bread and salad on that holiday and wouldn't touch anything that had had oil near it. I felt so sorry for him.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Petaluk

11. Petaluk

Wow - amazing information.
    I think I will increase my dose to 1000mg as advised by the endo doc,and see how I get on.
    My weight loss has stalled :(
    But in saying that I’ve not been as active - I hurt my knee a year ago and it’s starting playing up today grrr
    Had a bad weekend - the diagnosis is still sinking in - no more McDonalds, pizza or getting drunk ever again boohoo

• Hug Hug x 2
  12. Rachox

Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook