Reversing diabetes with diet

Tannith

BANNED
Type 2 diabetes is a reversible condition

Published on: 13 September 2017

A body of research putting people with Type 2 diabetes on a low calorie diet has confirmed the underlying causes of the condition and established that it is reversible.

Roy-Standard.jpg

By studying the underlying mechanisms we have been able to demonstrate the simplicity of type 2 diabetes

Professor Roy Taylor

A body of research putting people with Type 2 diabetes on a low calorie diet has confirmed the underlying causes of the condition and established that it is reversible.

Professor Roy Taylor at Newcastle University, UK has spent almost four decades studying the condition and will present an overview of his findings at the European Association For The Study Of Diabetes (EASD 2017) in Lisbon.

In the talk he will be highlighting how his research has revealed that for people with Type 2 diabetes:

• Excess calories leads to excess fat in the liver
  • As a result, the liver responds poorly to insulin and produces too much glucose
  • Excess fat in the liver is passed on to the pancreas, causing the insulin producing cells to fail
  • Losing less than 1 gram of fat from the pancreas through diet can re-start the normal production of insulin, reversing Type 2 diabetes
  • This reversal of diabetes remains possible for at least 10 years after the onset of the condition
“I think the real importance of this work is for the patients themselves,” Professor Taylor says. “Many have described to me how embarking on the low calorie diet has been the only option to prevent what they thought – or had been told – was an inevitable decline into further medication and further ill health because of their diabetes. By studying the underlying mechanisms we have been able to demonstrate the simplicity of type 2 diabetes.”

Get rid of the fat and reverse Type 2 diabetes

The body of research by Professor Roy Taylor now confirms his Twin Cycle Hypothesis – that Type 2 diabetes is caused by excess fat actually within both liver and pancreas.

This causes the liver to respond poorly to insulin. As insulin controls the normal process of making glucose, the liver then produces too much glucose. Simultaneously, excess fat in the liver increases the normal process of export of fat to all tissues. In the pancreas, this excess fat causes the insulin producing cells to fail. http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160322080542.htm:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151201141231.htm
"The study also answered the question that people often ask me -- if I lose the weight and keep the weight off, will I stay free of diabetes? The simple answer is yes! - Prof Roy Taylor

For further info Google Newcastle University Prof Taylor

Last edited:
Reactions: Noo_Noo96 and Arlmy

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since VLCD has been proven to be rather effective....would someone take it a step further and consider a study on ZCD?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a small point but when you're posting an entire page as a quote, could you also post a link to the source material? It allows us to read more for ourselves (and bookmark as required) judge the quality of the source and, of course, acknowledge that the words belong to someone and who that someone might be (writers still own their words, even if quoted anonymously - I'll resist a rant on IP here).

Thanks.

Sock

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this has been discussed to death on other threads, @Tannith (mostly by yourself)

Why are you posting this again?

Tannith

BANNED
Just a small point but when you're posting an entire page as a quote, could you also post a link to the source material? It allows us to read more for ourselves (and bookmark as required) judge the quality of the source and, of course, acknowledge that the words belong to someone and who that someone might be (writers still own their words, even if quoted anonymously - I'll resist a rant on IP here).

Thanks.

Sock
Sorry, I accidentally posted a different link. Here is the correct one http://wwwtype2diabetesisreversible/.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/
Here is another one showing that similar research has been done with bariatric patients losing their pancreatic fat and withit their diabetes

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
I think this has been discussed to death on other threads, @Tannith (mostly by yourself)

Why are you posting this again?
This article has NOT been posted before by anyone as far as I know. A lot of people, especially on this thread if you take a closer look, are very interested in Newcastle. Further, I am not "discussing " it or giving my own opinion of it on here, but posting a useful link so that people can make an informed choice but . It worries me a bit that there are people on here who would rather as few people as possible did Newcastle and seem to want to suppress mention of it. Prof Taylor is a widely acclaimed diabetologist, internationally famous for his discovery of the mechanism that reverses diabetes. What about free speech on here?
Published on: 13 September 2017
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2015/12/pancreasstudy/ http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/

Last edited:

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This article has NOT been posted before by anyone as far as I know. A lot of people, especially on this thread if you take a closer look, are very interested in Newcastle. Further, I am not "discussing " it or giving my own opinion of it on here, but posting a useful link so that people can make an informed choice but . It worries me a bit that there are people on here who would rather as few people as possible did Newcastle and seem to want to suppress mention of it. Prof Taylor is a widely acclaimed diabetologist, internationally famous for his discovery of the mechanism that reverses diabetes. What about free speech on here?

I think you should post @Tannith - don't get frustrated. I think if you were posting something that was proven to damage people with Diabetes it should be moderated out. As has been said many times before - people don't have to read posts and I find nothing in the rules that say you cannot.

Many things on this forum are inspirational and as we know every day, unfortunately, more people join this and having a variety of subjects to read in recent posts is what kept me interested at least.

Personally I found this article very interesting and as long as the debate on how successful or not this treatment is rages - someone will come up with something even better and perhaps one day - a cure.

Reactions: Tannith

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
1. Is it really excess calories that causes excess fat in the liver, or is it excess sugar and starch?
2. Doesn't a starvation diet mess up your metabolism?
3. Does the Newcastle diet work better than a low carb diet for reversing type 2?

Reactions: AloeSvea and Indy51

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Is it really excess calories that causes excess fat in the liver, or is it excess sugar and starch?
3. Does the Newcastle diet work better than a low carb diet for reversing type 2?
They sound like three great research questions to me.
Let us hope that the next experiments done on this do this as it would help to understand.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have had an after thought. I am not trying to be argumentative just your note got me thinking quite a bit.
I still think they are great research questions but my thoughts are:-
On 1 - does it matter in terms of trying to improve? We are where we are? In his research he found high levels of fat in the pancreas and his diet removed it. How it got there is a deduction I would agree rather than evidenced based. And very difficult indeed to prove without subjecting mice I suppose to different diets.
On 2 - As T2 is a metabolic disorder, are we not already a bit messed up? What does messing up mean - and is the messing up easier to reverse than T2? I read in one of Jason Fung's texts that one of his intermittent fasting techniques speeds up metabolic rate so you could always do a course of those afterwards. That is on the assumption it worked mind you.
On 3 - why is that important - why pit them against each other.

I might have asked
4. Can a collection of techniques, including low carb, IM fasting, a two month calorie restriction and moderate exercising - together with sound measurement and monitoring give people the greatest change of achieving low blood G?

I still do no understand why a short 8 week diet which is still low carb is seen as a contrast to a low carb diet. It feels like they have to be mutually exclusive and I just do not understand why?

Reactions: pavlovsdog

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have had an after thought. I am not trying to be argumentative just your note got me thinking quite a bit.
I still think they are great research questions but my thoughts are:-
On 1 - does it matter in terms of trying to improve? We are where we are? In his research he found high levels of fat in the pancreas and his diet removed it. How it got there is a deduction I would agree rather than evidenced based. And very difficult indeed to prove without subjecting mice I suppose to different diets.
On 2 - As T2 is a metabolic disorder, are we not already a bit messed up? What does messing up mean - and is the messing up easier to reverse than T2? I read in one of Jason Fung's texts that one of his intermittent fasting techniques speeds up metabolic rate so you could always do a course of those afterwards. That is on the assumption it worked mind you.
On 3 - why is that important - why pit them against each other.

I might have asked
4. Can a collection of techniques, including low carb, IM fasting, a two month calorie restriction and moderate exercising - together with sound measurement and monitoring give people the greatest change of achieving low blood G?

I still do no understand why a short 8 week diet which is still low carb is seen as a contrast to a low carb diet. It feels like they have to be mutually exclusive and I just do not understand why?
1. I think it does matter whether the statement "Excess calories leads to excess fat in the liver" is true or not, since he then uses that as an argument as to why a calorie restricted diet works to defat the liver.
2. I was thinking of the story about how contestants on "The Biggest Loser" had their metabolism messed up by being starved: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...r-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/
3. It would be useful for people considering either option to know which would be more likely to be more effective or even if they are equally effective. Perhaps the Newcastle diet works by carb restriction and the calorie restriction is not necessary to defat the liver.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. I think it does matter whether the statement "Excess calories leads to excess fat in the liver" is true or not, since he then uses that as an argument as to why a calorie restricted diet works to defat the liver.
2. I was thinking of the story about how contestants on "The Biggest Loser" had their metabolism messed up by being starved: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...r-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/
3. It would be useful for people considering either option to know which would be more likely to be more effective or even if they are equally effective. Perhaps the Newcastle diet works by carb restriction and the calorie restriction is not necessary to defat the liver.

I think these as I said are great research questions.
I am always worried when people talk about a slowing of metabolism but I don't really understand it.

Lots of great options.
Jason Fung says a fast for five days does loads of good and does not slow metabolism.
So easy solution might be - fast five days - eat 2000 calories for 4 days - that equates to around 800 a day on average - fast for five days and repeat till 8 weeks is up. I think the Newcastle diet is often confused (and not by you) with shakes and high carb and I don't know why and prof taylor says it is the rapid weight loss over short period - typically 8 weeks.

It is the research around this which I think holds the key to the future.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In my case, it's carbs that have led to excess fat in the liver. I am sure of that since I now consume more calories than I used to, but fewer carbs and my fatty liver has gone.

yes this happened to me too.

The ND may also work because fat is very restricted. It's the combo of fat and carbs that cause the problem, so you are right, the reduced calories may be irrelevant.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really do not know about slowing metabolism - so I did a bit of research.

TBH I found quite a balance in research and theory. What I did find was that there was strong evidence of people who lost weight through a crash diet did slow their metabolism down - and the general hypothesis was that you burn muscle mass during a crash diet and of course muscle burns more calories than fat. So what you do want to do is lose fat when you diet and that is very difficult to control.

When I undertook my ND - I did lose some muscle mass - in the last couple of weeks of it - but what I tried to do was do more muscle exercise as I was aware of the danger and the outcomes of not keeping my muscle mass going. I still do more and more press ups every morning to try build muscle.

Overwhelmingly though - other than an impacted thyroid gland and a few medical conditions - putting weight back down after a diet was attributed to eating too many calories. And I would add the wrong kind of calories.

I can only talk for myself as I tried it - lost a ton of weight pretty quickly - 4 months on not really put much of it back on. Now starting to do exercise and I am certainly eating more now than I did before the diet and it is more or less the same macros as before but I know we are all different.

Reactions: jpscloud

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I know a few people with fatty liver but no blood glucose problem.