Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Chris1957 - all I do is take my pump off and hand it to someone at security for a visual inspection so it doesn’t go through x-ray and collect once i’ve gone through, I keep supplies in hand luggage and a copy of my gp letter though i’ve never been asked for it.

Reactions: Chris1957
D

Deleted Account

Take twice as much of everything than you think you'll need.
Take backups (finger prick meter for CGM and pens for pump ... unless you can get a loaner pump).
Take a letter from your doctor.
Keep everything in your hand luggage.

Do not put your pump through the x-ray.
You can go through the metal detector arch.
If you are asked to go through the body scanner (box where you put your hands above your head), explain you have a pump. They will either manually scan you or suggest you take off your pump which they will scan separately.
If they question this or pressure you to go in the body scanner with your pump, show them the letter from your doctor.

Be polite at all times and try not to wind up security.
(At times, I have had to smile through gritted teeth but it is better than getting them agitated.)

Then have an absolutely amazing holiday.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Forgot I'm also on a guardian 2 link

That’s ok it’s the pump which needs to handed to security to avoid x- ray, they see many insulin dependent diabetics so should be straight forward.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I go through domestic security (Australia) no problems. I have the enlite CGM and Medtronic 640g. I have a drs letter on hand, but I never need it, I just walk right through.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DO not go through the body scanner even without the pump, itll total the CGM (apparently)