1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin pump and cgm.

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Chris1957, May 3, 2018.

1. Chris1957

Chris1957 · Member

Hi im of on hoiday soon I'm getting confused what have i got to do at the airports.

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Chris1957 - all I do is take my pump off and hand it to someone at security for a visual inspection so it doesn’t go through x-ray and collect once i’ve gone through, I keep supplies in hand luggage and a copy of my gp letter though i’ve never been asked for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris1957

Chris1957 · Member

Forgot I'm also on a guardian 2 link

4. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Take twice as much of everything than you think you'll need.
    Take backups (finger prick meter for CGM and pens for pump ... unless you can get a loaner pump).
    Take a letter from your doctor.
    Keep everything in your hand luggage.

Do not put your pump through the x-ray.
    You can go through the metal detector arch.
    If you are asked to go through the body scanner (box where you put your hands above your head), explain you have a pump. They will either manually scan you or suggest you take off your pump which they will scan separately.
    If they question this or pressure you to go in the body scanner with your pump, show them the letter from your doctor.

Be polite at all times and try not to wind up security.
    (At times, I have had to smile through gritted teeth but it is better than getting them agitated.)

Then have an absolutely amazing holiday.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

That’s ok it’s the pump which needs to handed to security to avoid x- ray, they see many insulin dependent diabetics so should be straight forward.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I go through domestic security (Australia) no problems. I have the enlite CGM and Medtronic 640g. I have a drs letter on hand, but I never need it, I just walk right through.

7. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

DO not go through the body scanner even without the pump, itll total the CGM (apparently)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook