PD to T2 - Have I crossed the line

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys, This forum is so encouraging, not sure why I did not stumble across earlier.

I am 45 and have been PD for last 15 years and have maintained the condition with minor lifestyle and diet changes but it seems it is progressing now, I have been doing random tests time and again and was reassured with the numbers that I was still a PD even after such a long duration (they say 5 years max and then you cross the bridge).

in 2003, I started off with removing all sugary drinks and most deserts, lost weight (123Kgs in 2003, now 95, best was 92), brought in carb control (Purpose of life for Indians is to eat carbs and more plain carbs every meal - not being a racist), exercised intermittently all these years. My numbers were in the range of 6.1 / 6.5 FBG all these while, PPG was always between 8.9 and would drop to below 5.5 on most days after 4 hours.

As part of my intermittent tests I was surprised this morning,
Fasting (131) 7.2 (half a toast, 2x scrambled eggs)
PPG-Breakfast- 1hr (159) 8.8
PPG-Breakfast- 2hr (149) 8.3
Pre-Lunch (110) 6.1
PPG lunch - 2 hr (169) 9.3 (2 slices of brown bread + lentil soup + Large Salad raw veg)
PPG lunch - 3 hr (150) 8.3

I am going for A1C done tomorrow, it was 6.2% (45) last year and has been in 6% (42) range always

Do I need to see an endo? Have I crossed the line? Will I benefit from Metformin?

I intend to make some more serious changes starting today and I love "denial" and not be officiated as T2, I do not want the stupid GTT to classify me - I would never ever drink 75g of sugar normally, so..

Your words guys, need some serious support here - mentally!!

Thanks.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
See how the A1C goes tomorrow, but don't worry about it. Your numbers look manageable: they are a bit high, but within the pre-diabetic range for the most part, especially with such carby meals. The reason I say don't worry about it is that if (and it's only if) you have gone full type 2, you will soon find that the lifestyle needed to control type 2 (normally) is remarkably similar, if not indistinguishable from that needed to control pre-D. And on the other side of that, if it turns out you are still pre-D, then you can start aiming for your best control to stave off the type 2. So it's all a bit of a moot point: Keep calm, carry on, get control.
I reckon you'll be OK: let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Sue192 and ziggy_w

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for sharing your journey with prediabetes. I'm coming up to 7 years and definately finding it needs a bit more effort (carb cutting) each year to stay the same.

We have one member that celebrated 10 years since diagnosis with prediabetes last year. In the UK prediabetes was not really used as a term until more recently. If you were lucky, you might be told that your test results were edging close to T2 levels. A lot of missed opportunities.

Well done on the weight loss and control for 15 years!!! I've definately been struggling with motivation these last few years and participating on the forum really helps with those days I feel like giving up.

There is some interesting research here about progression http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046669.php

Try not to worry and let us know how you get on.

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK guys, so it's official now A1c is 7.08% - 53 I would say?

Will try and see an endo tomorrow, what do you reckon? Metformin 50g 2x/day would be his call?

BTW my 2 hr PPG/Post lunch today was (125) 6.9., as I started my very low carb diet.

Any words for me?

Last edited:

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it really very low carb? What did you eat?
What I implied with ver low was, no bread or rice, Generous portion of mixed diced veggies with 1x breast of chicken grilled with Nando's sauce and cheese, followed by half fruit (Chickoo) Sapodilla.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I implied with ver low was, no bread or rice, Generous portion of mixed diced veggies with 1x breast of chicken grilled with Nando's sauce and cheese, followed by half fruit (Chickoo) Sapodilla.

I suspect your diet would more usually be called "moderate carb", although of course it is much lower in carbs than the man in the street might eat
  • Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
  • Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
  • Very-low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs

Reactions: KMPMBA

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, now this one is confusing for me, FBG today @7.30am is 119 / 6.8 (obviously no meds and just 1 day of restricting carbs compared to my usual consumption), after a late 10.30pm dinner of some raw veggies, grilled meat and chicken and half white pita bread and half fruit.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, now this one is confusing for me, FBG today @7.30am is 119 / 6.8 (obviously no meds and just 1 day of restricting carbs compared to my usual consumption), after a late 10.30pm dinner of some raw veggies, grilled meat and chicken and half white pita bread and half fruit.

Don't get too hung up on your fasting readings.
They hop about like a pea on a drum for many of us, and there are a lot more factors (sleep quality, exercise the day before, stress levels, anticipated stress levels, time of food the day before, etc.etc)

If you want to get useful info out of fasting levels, then I suggest you look at trends over a month or longer, and try not to fixate on individual readings - because doing that leads to confusion and frustration. :)

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..and so my Doc has put me on Metformin 1x 500mg / night for 20 days.

Last edited:

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.. and not taking meds , Should I be taking the meds yet as my numbers are as below after diet modification;

FPG / pre meal: 5.8 - 6.4
PPG: 6.4 - 8.1 (based on meal type)

Am I correct in my logic that;

if I start Metformin now I am already paving a path for increased dosage after a certain period of time, so if I manage the condition without meds now I save my self to be treated with a smaller dosage later and hence I avoid more aggressive therapy / dosage for a longer period of time?

Does progression get affected with how I treat myself today with meds or diet?

I have progressed slowly over the years but my progression recently has been fairly quick after my last year's numbers of HbA1c of 44.3 / 6.2% to 53 / 7% - is there a link on how fast one progresses and how well the condition is managed with / without diet and meds? is there a progression trend / prediction?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.. and not taking meds , Should I be taking the meds yet as my numbers are as below after diet modification;

FPG / pre meal: 5.8 - 6.4
PPG: 6.4 - 8.1 (based on meal type)

Am I correct in my logic that;

if I start Metformin now I am already paving a path for increased dosage after a certain period of time, so if I manage the condition without meds now I save my self to be treated with a smaller dosage later and hence I avoid more aggressive therapy / dosage for a longer period of time?

Does progression get affected with how I treat myself today with meds or diet?

I have progressed slowly over the years but my progression recently has been fairly quick after my last year's numbers of HbA1c of 44.3 / 6.2% to 53 / 7% - is there a link on how fast one progresses and how well the condition is managed with / without diet and meds? is there a progression trend / prediction?
Some research has suggested that Metformin works better if you take it early rather than later. Personally, I am getting good results from very low carb plus Metformin 2000mg, much better than I was getting with diet alone. I suggest you read up on Metformin and its beneficial side effects. You might find this article interesting: http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261
You could also benefit from reading up on Jenny Ruhl's site for her views on bg targets and also Metformin. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
There is also a wealth of information onDr Bernstain's site: http://www.diabetes-book.com
Both these authors are themselves living with diabetes, have survived in good shape into old age, and are well-respected.

Reactions: Petaluk and KMPMBA

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK guys, so it's official now A1c is 7.08% - 53 I would say?

Will try and see an endo tomorrow, what do you reckon? Metformin 50g 2x/day would be his call?

BTW my 2 hr PPG/Post lunch today was (125) 6.9., as I started my very low carb diet.

Any words for me?

You can get back under no probs.. I was 46, 48, 51, down to 42, gave up smoking and up to 51, 49, 48 and last weeks was 47. I’ve always managed by diet and exercise and I take cinnamon tablets and bitter from heath shop as they naturally lower blood. I told myself if I get back over 51 I’ll start taking meds but seem to be ok so far.. I hope to be under 45 in next test, just cut out white rice, white bread, pasta. Good luck.

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect your diet would more usually be called "moderate carb", although of course it is much lower in carbs than the man in the street might eat
  • Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
  • Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
  • Very-low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs
Please tell me what food people eat for low carb or mod carb daily intake.