I've got a date :p

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the consultant later this month with a view to moving from Lantus to Tresiba :nailbiting:, and I've finally managed to get B&D Viva 4mm needle tips on my repeat prescription, that only took one Drs appointment and 3 surgery visits to give written info as to what I was asking for (4mm B&D micro fine +) but they got there in the end, or nearly as I think these may be the dearer option.

I'm quite nervous about this insulin change but all too frequently I see myself having to take correction doses as the Lantus seems to vary in potency and I blame it for my ears sticking out :oops:

Tresiba then, anyone use it who's into keep fit and can advise on stability with training days and days off?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I thought I was getting Tresiba but I was given Toujeo300 instead.
I'm not getting steady numbers any more on it so I have to increase after a basal test. Losing metformin has caused more units needed. :(
I cannot remember whose on Tresiba but users seemed happy with it.
Hopefully some users will be along soon. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the consultant later this month with a view to moving from Lantus to Tresiba :nailbiting:, and I've finally managed to get B&D Viva 4mm needle tips on my repeat prescription, that only took one Drs appointment and 3 surgery visits to give written info as to what I was asking for (4mm B&D micro fine +) but they got there in the end, or nearly as I think these may be the dearer option.

I'm quite nervous about this insulin change but all too frequently I see myself having to take correction doses as the Lantus seems to vary in potency and I blame it for my ears sticking out :oops:

Tresiba then, anyone use it who's into keep fit and can advise on stability with training days and days off?

Aaaaawwww, Kev - I thought it was our big opportunity to advise on the socks with sandals, shirt tucked in/shirt outside dilemas. :)

Good luck with the change. I'm sure it'll be a learning curve.

Reactions: DJC3

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thought of me in sandals, with or without socks is going to have me smiling all day! :)

Reactions: Brunneria

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w . You've led me here under false pretences sir.
I feel I should report this thread:):):), but such humour can be missed in some quarters.
I was expecting to tell you how far to go on a first date, what to expect and not to feel to despondent if you don't get it.
Like I'm an expert anyway:banghead::banghead::banghead:.
Can't comment on the switch from lantus. I'm sure it'll be different but as an experienced T1 you'll figure it out.
Good luck.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good luck, kev-w, I was hoping for Tresiba too but was palmed off with Levemir. Cheaper? Not liking the gaps in its coverage!

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck, kev-w, I was hoping for Tresiba too but was palmed off with Levemir. Cheaper? Not liking the gaps in its coverage!

That's an odd one and if it was me I'd be phoning the clinic to moan 3 times a day a bit, I'm saying Tresiba as Levemir is (in my mind) similar to Lantus, the consultant suggested it the last time I saw him but I didn't fancy it at the time (pre libre) but hasn't mentioned it in my notes, so the DSN has referred me back to him as I've rung a few times recently to ask for it changing, even going to the GP to about it, and I avoid the local surgery for diabetes issues as they can struggle.

The problem (s) I have with Lantus are that sometimes it seems not to work properly, DSN says sites but I don't think so, as it seems to work again when I throw that pen away and use a new one after a couple of days trending up to 15, if this happened on a training day off I'd understand but it can happen after a busy day or a slack one, that and a couple of years back I was given a box of Lantus from Poland, with Spanish stickers on it and it didn't work, I woke at 27 and used a lot of Humalog to come under 10, same the next day so went back to the pharmacy to complain and got another script, again from another country (Hungary) but with Italian stickers and that didn't work either, I went to a different chemist with a 3rd prescription in 5 days, received English Lantus and woke with a blood of 7....

Lost faith in the brand, and sanofi said it was because the GlucoRX tips weren't approved for the Solostar when I sent them the insulin back, and there was nothing wrong with what I sent them... Which imho was a load of ball hooks.

But anyway, beats pork insulin hands down :p

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You can get the ears pinned back you know.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
blind-date-2017-start-date-817601.jpg

I got me hat ready chuck.

Let us know how you got on with Tresiba...? :D

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good luck again! The surgery I go to don’t want to do anything without Consultant say-so, and they hadn’t even heard of Tresiba, or fiasp, last time I saw them. Another appointment next week so I’ll be having another go at them.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get the ears pinned back you know.

Would my glasses still fit tho? :p

View attachment 26428

I got me hat ready chuck.

Let us know how you got on with Tresiba...? :D

It's ages since I've seen Mrs Mangel from Neighbours :p

I suspect that @kev-w years of playing rugby would probably result in a hell of a lot of pins to hold his lug holes back.:):):):):):)

And folk would look at you oddly if you went out with them taped up!

Good luck again! The surgery I go to don’t want to do anything without Consultant say-so, and they hadn’t even heard of Tresiba, or fiasp, last time I saw them. Another appointment next week so I’ll be having another go at them.

Pester pester works for me (but not always), and good luck if you're looking to change meds, oh and not every CCG has allowed Fiasp as far as I'm aware, our don't for one...

Last edited:

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed from lantus to tresiba and saw the difference in a week or so. I had muscle pains with lantus (nurse told me it couldn't be related) and they've gone and I've also found BG more stable. I pretty much wake up in line with the BG I went to bed with. Bit of DP sometimes, but a lot more consistent.

Took a little while to get the right level of tresiba though.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is a long lasting, once a day insulin, really the best and most flexible option for someone who is physically active and may require a reduction in basal often....?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed from lantus to tresiba and saw the difference in a week or so. I had muscle pains with lantus (nurse told me it couldn't be related) and they've gone and I've also found BG more stable. I pretty much wake up in line with the BG I went to bed with. Bit of DP sometimes, but a lot more consistent.

Took a little while to get the right level of tresiba though.

I'm not 'blaming' Lantus for anything particularly but rather trying to find a more stable base line; my enthusiasm for trying Tresiba has waned somewhat having read @Levy thread mind....

Is a long lasting, once a day insulin, really the best and most flexible option for someone who is physically active and may require a reduction in basal often....?

To be honest with Lantus I've always taken the same amount (unless ill then a couple of u more) and carb load before swimming if needed, I inject the basal around 10pm and around now see a drop that would hypo me unless I either time tea for now, or have a rich tea or two seeing me through to my tea time bolus, reduce basal by 2u and in 48 hours I'm running high bloods, but still dropping off now....

But that's sugar I guess :banghead:

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not 'blaming' Lantus for anything particularly but rather trying to find a more stable base line; my enthusiasm for trying Tresiba has waned somewhat having read @Levy thread mind....

To be honest with Lantus I've always taken the same amount (unless ill then a couple of u more) and carb load before swimming if needed, I inject the basal around 10pm and around now see a drop that would hypo me unless I either time tea for now, or have a rich tea or two seeing me through to my tea time bolus, reduce basal by 2u and in 48 hours I'm running high bloods, but still dropping off now....

Haha, not sure I'd take my issues with Tresiba as something common, I seem to be the exception to the rule. Everything I've ever read from anyone else is really positive so I wouldn't worry!

To be fair, it is relatively stable. I had a light lunch at 12 and the 16u I took last night have kept me quite stable until just now! My problem is that I need far less basal overnight so the 16u seem spot on during the day, but are too much for overnight.

Screenshot_20180508-190010_LibreLink.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha, not sure I'd take my issues with Tresiba as something common, I seem to be the exception to the rule. Everything I've ever read from anyone else is really positive so I wouldn't worry!

To be fair, it is relatively stable. I had a light lunch at 12 and the 16u I took last night have kept me quite stable until just now! My problem is that I need far less basal overnight so the 16u seem spot on during the day, but are too much for overnight.

View attachment 26473

I read your thread and thought "oh no" :) but as you say, most folk are reasonably positive about it, and I'd be quite happy with a line like that, and I guess I'll not know till I try it!

I do so hate change tho.

Reactions: Levy

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I suppose it just depends on whether weight is an issue......some folk who exercise want to avoid taking on carbs and so would favour reduction in insulin, but everyone has different needs and levels of intensity where the physical activity is concerned...