Great HbA1c result but got told off for it...

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2s do not suffer from hypos unless they are insulin dependent T2s.

Weakness due to low carb diet, yes. But not usually hypos experienced by T1s.

Glicazide - a T2 medication which I was prescribed on diagnosis can also induce hypos - by stimulating your own insulin production.

It's why my GP gave me a glucometer and strips.

I was also told to stop taking it if I got my glucose leves down to 5/6 mmol/L - which I did within a month.

Reactions: ringi

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Forgive a little cynicism here.

If you look at this from a Doctor's perspective running glucose levels slightly high, is a risk and consequence of the natural progression of the disease.

Hypo's caused by medication are - by definition iatogenic - ie the doctor will get the blame.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and dbr10

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It is not only nurses who give this sort of advice. My GP used to tell me the same thing. 20 years on and he died young and I’m retired and tripping around the world skiing.
Actually there is some research to support higher HbA1cs in some situations, even in the absence of hypos. But the diabetes community is not interested in inconvenient details.
Do you have a link to this research? I’d be interested to read it :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have seen many other threads on here where T1s have been told off for low HbA1cs. They seem paranoid about hypos
Dr Bernstein explains this. If a diabetic has to have his/her feet cut off, or goes blind or dies of kidney failure, his/her doctor can just point to the "known" fact that diabetics do deteriorate and develop these complications. No fault of the doctor. If however the diabetic hypos and dies, the doctor can be blamed and sued. Therefore, much safer to oblige the diabetic to keep his/her levels way above anywhere a hypo could possibly occur. Safer for the doctor, that is.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a link to this research? I’d be interested to read it :)
I think it was the ACCORD study. It was later exposed as completely misleading. The figures had been fraudulently manipulated. A retraction and apology was published in a prominent medical journal, but sadly the retraction has been forgotten and the research continues to be cited.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it was the ACCORD study. It was later exposed as completely misleading. The figures had been fraudulently manipulated. A retraction and apology was published in a prominent medical journal, but sadly the retraction has been forgotten and the research continues to be cited.
Here is Jenny Ruhl on the ACCORD study: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/35169265.php

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Bernstein explains this. If a diabetic has to have his/her feet cut off, or goes blind or dies of kidney failure, his/her doctor can just point to the "known" fact that diabetics do deteriorate and develop these complications. No fault of the doctor. If however the diabetic hypos and dies, the doctor can be blamed and sued. Therefore, much safer to oblige the diabetic to keep his/her levels way above anywhere a hypo could possibly occur. Safer for the doctor, that is.
Exactly.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, I have just committed the sin of posting on as thread started by a T1 And citing Jenny Ruhl, who is herself T2 and mainly writes for T2s. Before anyone complains, I'd like to point out that the ACCORD study in question was done exclusively on T2s.

Reactions: dogslife and dbr10

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Glicazide - a T2 medication which I was prescribed on diagnosis can also induce hypos - by stimulating your own insulin production.

It's why my GP gave me a glucometer and strips.

I was also told to stop taking it if I got my glucose leves down to 5/6 mmol/L - which I did within a month.
Hello bamba. Snap! I'm T2 and was issued with a meter and strips when I was prescribed Gliclizide, due to the risk of hypos, after being refused them for all the years I was only on Metformin. I had quite a few hypos due to reducing my carbs and had to have my dose reduced. So yes type 2's definitely do have hypos. I was interested to read that you had been told to stop taking it when your levels went down to 5/6. ( Well done!) No-one has given me that advice. Best wishes.:)

Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, I have just committed the sin of posting on as thread started by a T1 And citing Jenny Ruhl, who is herself T2 and mainly writes for T2s. Before anyone complains, I'd like to point out that the ACCORD study in question was done exclusively on T2s.
Why worry?

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why worry?

I think it was just a point of courtesy and clarification to flag the information that they had posted was not relevant to the OP and moreover to the T1 sub forum on which this thread is posted ("Use this area of the forum for all discussion specifically relating to Type 1 Diabetes").

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it was just a point of courtesy and clarification to flag the information that they had posted was not relevant to the OP and moreover to the T1 sub forum on which this thread is posted ("Use this area of the forum for all discussion specifically relating to Type 1 Diabetes").
True, but she made a useful contribution. Should that be excluded?
The forum would be poorer without insightful contributions.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
True, but she made a useful contribution. Should that be excluded?
The forum would be poorer without insightful contributions.
T2 research would be more useful / relevant outside of the T1 sub-forum. But if posted here (T1 sub forum) it is helpful to flag that you're talking non T1 research, issues, etc.

It's at best confusing but at worst dangerously misleading.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 research would be more useful / relevant outside of the T1 sub-forum. But if posted here (T1 sub forum) it is helpful to flag that you're talking non T1 research, issues, etc.

It's at best confusing but at worst dangerously misleading.
Yes, that's true.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been attacked by T1s for posting on a thread that was not on the T1 sub Forum. What I posted was not irrelevant to the OP and included referring them to that stalwart T1 Dr Bernstein. I can understand that as a minority T1s resent intrusion by T2s onto their territory, especially if it results in advice being given that is not appropriate. However IMO anyone looking to criticise someone else's post should take care at least to read it carefully first. I have the impression that some T1s may be a touch trigger happy. By contrast I don't think I have ever seen a T2 objecting to a T1's contribution to any thread or Forum.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been attacked by T1s for posting on a thread that was not on the T1 sub Forum. What I posted was not irrelevant to the OP and included referring them to that stalwart T1 Dr Bernstein. I can understand that as a minority T1s resent intrusion by T2s onto their territory, especially if it results in advice being given that is not appropriate. However IMO anyone looking to criticise someone else's post should take care at least to read it carefully first. I have the impression that some T1s may be a touch trigger happy. By contrast I don't think I have ever seen a T2 objecting to a T1's contribution to any thread or Forum.
Even if a contribution is irrelevant, it should be taken in good faith; and if it is suggesting something unwise or dangerous, it should just be corrected. Part of the learning process for us all.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As the OP, I welcome any and all contributions to my questions. It’s easy to see who has what from their avatar and sig. I find the T2 perspective very interesting, as it also affects several people in my life. I’ve learned so much about it from here, especially advice regarding food, which I’ve adapted to my own needs.

So thank you all, of whatever type for your support, advice, info and further reading in this - every single reply has value to me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alcohol mixed with insulin is a big risk increaser.
The leaflet that comes with Metformin advises strongly against drinking more than a very little alcohol while taking it. I believe the two together can lower bg a lot. Maybe that might account for the apparent hypos you heard about.