Likely results of LCHF diet for an already thin person?

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The LCHF diet has many health benefits but is also known for enabling/causing weight loss. What is likely to happen to an already thin person who doesn't want/need to lose weight if they go low carb? Is it possible to say? (My technical knowledge is somewhat lacking here.) Many thanks in advance...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is perfectly possible to maintain weight on the Atkins way of eating - you can get the book free on line to read how, or it used to be possible to buy a copy for pennies - Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution - the latest edition you can find - not later versions done by the Atkins Corporation, you need the man himself.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The LCHF diet has many health benefits but is also known for enabling/causing weight loss. What is likely to happen to an already thin person who doesn't want/need to lose weight if they go low carb? Is it possible to say? (My technical knowledge is somewhat lacking here.) Many thanks in advance...

Many people find when trimming back the carbs that they lose some weight, but where that's not desirable, it only lasts until the individual can find their mantenance point. Many end up reducing carbs, without adding in some additional fat. Often that results in a caloric imbalance.

I would say give it a whirl, but weight yourself maybe more frequently than you might usually, and see how you go. If you start dropping weight, my sweet spot was discovered by firstly just eating a bit more of everything I was eating, then adding a bit more protein, then upping the fats.

It took me a short while to achieve the sweet spot, but then I was happy enough trimming up to begin with.

I now hold a steady weight, skirting around the 48kg mark. I'm very slight. When I needed to add some weight after surgery a couple of years ago, it took a while to get in on, bearing in mind I didn't want to move away from my reduced carb, with balancing fats way of eating.

Reactions: Aly67

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow a LCHF diet, and initially did lose about 8 lbs, which was very scary. But I asked on this site and was advised to add more fat in, which I did, and more food in general and put a little bit back in. I’ve now plateaued at that weight (50 kg). I didn’t think I needed to lose 4 lbs, but I feel a lot healthier than I did now my blood glucose is controlled, so maybe I did!

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it's possible. I am naturally thin and was underweight when I started low carb diet. Gained 7 kg since and now maintain a normal weight.

You just need to check your weight frequently to make sure you are not losing and top up calories with fat and protein if you are.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
It is possible to maintain weight on this diet. I have been LCHH for over 4 years now, with a BMI of around 23. Initially I dipped to below 21, and drs advised I should come off the diet unless I put on weight. So I went higher fat. I have a bulletproof coffee (30g coconut oil and 30g butter in coffee) every morning with breakfast, always choose fatty cuts of meat (chicken legs and wings, rump steak, chops etc). I have plenty of double cream and avoid all low fat options. My HDL (good cholesterol) is surprisingly very good and I am much healthier now than before.

Rusne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thin all my life and putting on weight was my struggle at times.
I lost 9kg before diagnosis due to dka which was horrible. And when I switched to lchf I gained all that weight back. I think it depends how much you eat. I have around 30g carbs a day and around 2000-2500 cal a day, probably 75% of calories in fat.
After getting back to my normal weight I just stayed there.
Besides, if you want to gain some weight just do some strenght exercising and build muscle. That is the only way for me to gain weight.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A low carb diet is not necessariily a weight loss diet, it's also a glucose management diet, and can be and is used purely for this pupose.. It's a balancing act, and for me this means keeping carbs low enough to control my glucose levels and eating fat for my main fuel. Eating enough fat means I don't (need to) burn off any body fat - if I eat less than I need then I'll also burn off stored fat and lose weight. As aleady suggested you need to find your own maintenance point.

I initially cut the major carby foods out of my diet and didn't lose any noticeable weight, but brought my glucose right down to pre-diabetic levels. But I have always eaten normal fat food - my only compromise was semi skimmed milk. I then used the Atkins diet (induction phase) on GP's advice for weight loss -so basically very low carb. I ate around 20-25g carbs a day and lost a lot of weight fairly quickly. Increasing carbs back up to a max of 50g a day and eating enough full /normal fat foods has since kept my weight stable and improved and kept my glucose levels stable for four years now.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on low carb for 4 years. I did need to lose weight, and that weight all came off in the first 9 months. Since then I have maintained my current weight. It does require a lot of monitoring at first to find the right balance of calories without increasing the carbs. I used my weighing scales and food diary, and kept a close eye on matters. I added in extra fats from protein sources such as eggs and cheese, and also added cream in my coffee. Once I found the right balance I haven't needed to do much monitoring and am the same weight I was in 2014. My jeans now tell me if I need to do a bit of monitoring again!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for all the helpful and informative replies. This forum is really great! :)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I managed to lose weight and gain weight on a low carb diet. I think I may not be a typical case - most people report that LCHF reduces their appetite, but I seem to be able to eat any sort of food in crazy amounts unless I consciously monitor what I eat. So it's certainly possible for some people - me being one example - to gain weight while eating low carbs.

Whether or not you'd feel you needed to uncomfortably force food down you in order to maintain / increase weight is a matter I guess you can only judge if you try it.

Reactions: dbr10

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is perfectly possible to maintain weight on the Atkins way of eating - you can get the book free on line to read how, or it used to be possible to buy a copy for pennies - Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution - the latest edition you can find - not later versions done by the Atkins Corporation, you need the man himself.

I have bought the 2002/2003 version as you suggested in nearly new condition for 1p plus £2.79 post. There is a good deal of helpful advice and info within its pages.

I had previously got the impression that Atkins had been discredited but what I heard is clearly unfair judging by what I have read so far. Thank you for recommending it. I am getting prepared to start going low carb... :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might want to start off at the higher levels of carb and work your way backwards - removing the foods in the reverse order to the way listed on the carb ladder in ongoing weightloss at the rate of 10 gm per week at first then 5 gm increments - using your meter to see how your BG is responding.
I never went above half way through the ongoing weightloss section - I am so sensitive to carbs that I could not go any further and not put on weight, but Atkins is actually quite adaptable - there is no magic, so starting off at - maybe 150 gm of carbs per day and then reducing could work as a BG control method without causing weightloss.
I wish you every success.

Reactions: pdmjoker