Low blood glucose reading?

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a late breakfast of flaxseed muffin (including Ceylon cinnamon and walnuts) and coffee with cream. I just took my blood and the reading was 4.9!! Is that too low? Surely the cinnamon can't make that much difference??

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No, 4.9 is not too low. You seem to have found a meal that suits you. Well done.

As to the cinnamon, sorry, have no idea but it is said to help with bg so I wouldn't knock it.

Reactions: cmor16

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
By the way, what was your reading beforehand?

D

Deleted Account

I had a late breakfast of flaxseed muffin (including Ceylon cinnamon and walnuts) and coffee with cream. I just took my blood and the reading was 4.9!! Is that too low? Surely the cinnamon can't make that much difference??
Diabetes.co.uk is an amazing resource.
The members of the forum are amazing.
In addition, there is a really great reference library which is very easy to search.
For example, searching “BG target” quickly came up with this page: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you make those muffins yourself or buy them. They sound delicious and I am always looking for breakfast ideas!

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you make those muffins yourself or buy them. They sound delicious and I am always looking for breakfast ideas!
They were home made (by my hubby not me!). I'll get the recipe and post on here later :)

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, the recipe is: 2 oz ground flaxseeds, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, sweetener to taste, 1 tsp oil (butter, coconut oil or whatever). Beat the egg, add sweetener add baking powder. Beat well and leave to stand while you blitz your flax seeds. Add them to the mixture, then add whatever you want to add and microwave for approx. 1 1/2 mins on 800 then turn out onto a plate. If the muffin feels a bit soft but it in for another 30 secs. He put 2 teaspoons of Ceylon cinnamon in today along with a handful of chopped walnuts. They aren't fantastic but make a nice change from bacon & eggs! You can also make savoury ones with onion, garlic, parmesan etc. The possibilities are endless :)

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Omg I want to try those they sound super yummy
I'm not going to lie Ziggy-they are OK but not fantastic. But...they help to keep everything moving and are just nice to have for a change :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long after beginning your breakfast did you check your bg? Sometimes even testing after 2 hours one can get a very low reading because things are moving slowly and the carbs in the meal haven't yet showed up as bg. So it's as if one were still fasting. If you can bear to use several strips, and take the time, I suggest testing tomorrow before the meal, after 1 hour, 2 hours and, if the reading is low again, 3 hours.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How long after beginning your breakfast did you check your bg? Sometimes even testing after 2 hours one can get a very low reading because things are moving slowly and the carbs in the meal haven't yet showed up as bg. So it's as if one were still fasting. If you can bear to use several strips, and take the time, I suggest testing tomorrow before the meal, after 1 hour, 2 hours and, if the reading is low again, 3 hours.

It was two hours. I always test after 2. Strangely tonight I got a reading of 10.0 after eating!! I did it again a few minutes later and it had gone down to 6.6. My readings are normally quite stable so goodness knows what's going on.