1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low blood glucose reading?

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by cmor16, May 7, 2018.

1. cmor16

cmor16 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I had a late breakfast of flaxseed muffin (including Ceylon cinnamon and walnuts) and coffee with cream. I just took my blood and the reading was 4.9!! Is that too low? Surely the cinnamon can't make that much difference??

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

No, 4.9 is not too low. You seem to have found a meal that suits you. Well done.

As to the cinnamon, sorry, have no idea but it is said to help with bg so I wouldn't knock it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

By the way, what was your reading beforehand?

4. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Diabetes.co.uk is an amazing resource.
    The members of the forum are amazing.
    In addition, there is a really great reference library which is very easy to search.
    For example, searching “BG target” quickly came up with this page: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PenguinMum

PenguinMum · Well-Known Member

Did you make those muffins yourself or buy them. They sound delicious and I am always looking for breakfast ideas!

6. cmor16

I forgot to take it! I'm having the same brekkie tomorrow so will definitely make sure I take it beforehand.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cmor16

They were home made (by my hubby not me!). I'll get the recipe and post on here later :)

8. cmor16

Hi, the recipe is: 2 oz ground flaxseeds, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, sweetener to taste, 1 tsp oil (butter, coconut oil or whatever). Beat the egg, add sweetener add baking powder. Beat well and leave to stand while you blitz your flax seeds. Add them to the mixture, then add whatever you want to add and microwave for approx. 1 1/2 mins on 800 then turn out onto a plate. If the muffin feels a bit soft but it in for another 30 secs. He put 2 teaspoons of Ceylon cinnamon in today along with a handful of chopped walnuts. They aren't fantastic but make a nice change from bacon & eggs! You can also make savoury ones with onion, garlic, parmesan etc. The possibilities are endless :)

9. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

Omg I want to try those they sound super yummy

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. cmor16

I'm not going to lie Ziggy-they are OK but not fantastic. But...they help to keep everything moving and are just nice to have for a change :)

11. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

@cmor16 still worth a try :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

How long after beginning your breakfast did you check your bg? Sometimes even testing after 2 hours one can get a very low reading because things are moving slowly and the carbs in the meal haven't yet showed up as bg. So it's as if one were still fasting. If you can bear to use several strips, and take the time, I suggest testing tomorrow before the meal, after 1 hour, 2 hours and, if the reading is low again, 3 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cmor16

It was two hours. I always test after 2. Strangely tonight I got a reading of 10.0 after eating!! I did it again a few minutes later and it had gone down to 6.6. My readings are normally quite stable so goodness knows what's going on.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook