8 weeks in and need a little advice

mastrs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
I was recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes with an HB1ac of 97 at 37 yrs of age. This was 2 months ago and at the time, I was in total shock, but thanks to the contributors on here, I feel much more positive about what lies ahead.

After much reading and taking in my GP’s and dieticians advice I have decided to take an hybrid approach to advice on here and to the advice the NHS provide. I hope that this doesn’t mean neither approach will work for me!

The reason for this was due to my family history and high cholesterol. The detrimental impact of a high fat diet could be catastrophic for me so I resisted the urge to go for a strict LCHF diet. One thing I am trying to do is lose 1/6 of my bodyweight, which equates to around 17kg. I’ve read that quick weight loss can reverse diabetes and I know there are studies at Newcastle University which seem to back this up. After 8 weeks I am around a third of the way to my goal

I had planned to rapidly increase my exercise, but I’ve had to curtail this due to side effects with Metformin. I take the 500Mg table twice a day. I’ve been feeling , nauseous and feint and these symptoms had not subsided after 4 week, until I relaxed my diet. Now the medication is more tolerable, but now I’m worried that I’m eating too much carbs and possibly consuming too much sugar. It seems like a classic catch 22 situation and I’m finding it really frustrating.

Over the last week I’ve been developing tingling sensations in my extremities. This can be quite painful at times and is making me apprehensive that my sugar levels are out of control. I’ve heard that this can be a side effect of the medication as well. One thing which exacerbates all my symptoms is my anxiety over my health and I believe this has contributed to a lot of my ailments over the years. I’ve had high BP and a damaged liver in my late teens and I believe my anxiety has contributed to this, and in turn contributed to my diabetes. There is no definitive prove of this, but I really think it is a contributing factor. Strangely enough since I’ve recognised and identified I have anxiety (which is over the last 12 months) my BP has normalised. The constant adrenal surge of being in fight or flight mode may be causing chemical reactions which are hurting my body.

Anyway I would to hear if anybody else has had these tingling symptoms and problems with the meds. I am really interested to see if anxiety has played a part in their symptoms.

Finally, I was told by my GP that a sugar monitor was not necessary for me, but I think I need one to reassure me that I’m on the right track. Could someone recommend a monitor which is reasonably priced, accurate and more importantly easy to use!

Thanks for all your help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you do need a meter, and this will help you with your food choices. You can test immediately before eating and again 2 hours after first bite. Any significant rise in levels will tell you if there were too many carbs in that meal for your body to cope with. Used alongside a food diary with portion sizes it will be of great benefit. Once you get a meter, we can help you use it to your best advantage.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Reactions: flexi06

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox can give you the codes for the SD CodeFree meter which has the cheapest strips. When ordering your kit, make sure you also get the control solution. I use 8 strips a day, 200 per month. You are blind without a meter.

Reactions: flexi06 and Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox can give you the codes for the SD CodeFree meter which has the cheapest strips. When ordering your kit, make sure you also get the control solution. I use 8 strips a day, 200 per month. You are blind without a meter.

See above!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Regarding the tingling. You know when you sit funny on your leg and you don't feel the numbness until you change position and then get pins and needles? That can sometimes happen with mild neuropathy, as the nerves 'heal' they can sometimes become super sensitive but the tingling subsides eventually. I must stress that this may happen in some people with mild neuropathy but not in others. I would advise you speak with your Health Care providers on any aspect involving new or unaccustomed symptoms.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mastrs!

I did The Blood Sugar Diet by Dr Michael Mosley, based on The Newcastle Diet research, for a couple of months and it kick started my weight loss nicely - if you haven't got a copy I'd recommend it. He goes into detail of the causes of diabetes and recommends a 'lowish carb' Mediterranean-style diet for both the rapid weight loss period and later when you are upping your calories again - I like accessible way he has written the book and made everything really easy to follow. I also recommend, if you are on very low calorie diet for a while, this book, which has some great meal ideas: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals...qid=1525786180&sr=1-4&keywords=cals+and+carbs.
These are just a couple of things which helped me as well as LCHF - good luck with your continued weight loss, sounds like you are off to a great start!

As others have mentioned above - a blood sugar monitor will put your mind at rest as to where your sugars are now. I got a bit of tingling/pins and needles when starting out, and I think in my case it was my nerves healing from previous damage.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are an advocate of control solution, maybe you can explain how it is supposed to work. I expected it to say control A should read 6.0 or something but it gives a range like 5.9-8.9 what use is that? Sorry this is off topic a bit.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are an advocate of control solution, maybe you can explain how it is supposed to work. I expected it to say control A should read 6.0 or something but it gives a range like 5.9-8.9 what use is that? Sorry this is off topic a bit.

Agreed. All it shows is the meter is reading within the normal expected tolerance at the lower levels and the higher levels. It does nothing else.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that when doing the Newcastle diet all medication was stopped.
My weightloss probably amounts to 1/6th of my bodyweight, and I can certainly eat more carbs - but if I went back to 'normal' eating I'd soon put weight on again - so I will be sticking to low carb foods from now on. In one way diabetes is the least of my problems.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is useful to ensure the meter is operating within range, helps spot a dodgy meter.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Talk to your GP about changing to slow release metaformin as it reduces the side effects.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought that when doing the Newcastle diet all medication was stopped.

That was done for research reasons and so GP did not stress about hypos etc, it is just as valid to monitor BG etc, and then reduce meds if needed.

mastrs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all the advice. I'll get the meter and see what my results are. As for my diet i think ive went from being too strict to too lapse with ny choices. i really hope my Hb1ac has improved!

I'll share my 3 month results when i get them.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

AnnH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the advice. I'll get the meter and see what my results are. As for my diet i think ive went from being too strict to too lapse with ny choices. i really hope my Hb1ac has improved!

I'll share my 3 month results when i get them.
I am a newbie too, terrified at the diagnosis but found peace of mind here. I got a meter after reading the forums and it is the best thing I did as it lets me know I am on track with my diet. I am in a wheelchair so exercise is limited and diet is really the only tool I have to fight this with. Good Luck

Jessiefless

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey

I’m 14 weeks in so hopefully my experience to date is relevant as still relatively newly diagnosed.

Firstly you have to do what is right for you - I went really low carb for the first 1-4 weeks and to be honest it didn’t suit me but someone has mentioned the blood sugar recipe book and the meatballs are amazing!!

I now use MyFitnessPal app as my guide, I have upgraded (paid for version) so it lets me set my targets in detail so I personally go for around 100g to 150g per day and I’m loosing weight.

No you don’t have to get a meter as a Type 2 we don’t run the risk of low blood sugar however I have one and I use it for piece of mind every now and again - I certainly don’t test every day every meal.

Metformin or Megafartin as I’ve also seen it called has its side effects, they will pass it has taken me around 3months of patience and perseverance!! I haven’t had pins and needles but I have had cramps, wind (omg I’m not sure how I produced some of those smells), vile taste in the back of my throat for 2 weeks, dry heaving at the smell of meat (not that good for a low carb diet). I am now over it and yes the wind is still there but the smells have gone thank god! I’ve used peppermint tea and peppermint oil tablets from Holland & Barrat and that has helped counteract the side effects.

You can be referred by your GP to a course called DESMOND, if you have go on it, if you haven’t ask about it. This was really useful and has hugely changed how I think about food - does this mean I haven’t had a takeaway or a slice of cake absolutely not but I am aware I have to compensate for the remainder of the day. Who knew 3g of carbohydrate = 1tsp of sugar, or the fact that products that are labelled cholesterol free are a bit of a con....cholesterol only exists in the body so of course the product is cholesterol free!! What is a good fat vs a bad fat.....I didn’t know and there is so so so much more to learn.

My approach has not been to try and reverse it but to treat my body better and if I reverse it then it is a bonus if I can manage it then I am winning.

I just had my 3mth check and 1) I have gone from 62 to 43, 2) BP 117/73, 3) lost 12.2lbs so BMI has come down and 4) I have reduced my medication from 4 to 3/day. Do what is right for you take one or two things at a time don’t try and do it all - if it isnt working try something different.

In regards to the exercise do try and get out there it is so so beneficial - just not thinking about your diagnosis for a while helps and the endorphins the body releases will help you I found the diagnosis overwhelming. I actually forwarned the people I trained with that I would be stepping out if I needed to take some time for myself - let’s just say thank god the music is loud. I make it sound like I enjoy it - I do when it’s over!!

Hope this helps a little bit and the one thing I can say is that everyone on the forum may have their own views and opinions but we all agree on the fact we are on your side!

Reactions: Petaluk

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@mastrs, first of all well done for getting to grips with this and your approach sounds very sensible. You will get a huge amount of conflicting advice from your NHS staff ... and in here. Take it all in and do what is right for YOU - that is the only thing I will tell you you MUST do!

My ‘journey’ (cos that’s what this is) began 2 years ago with a ‘number’ like yours (it scared the hell out of me), and I needed to loose probably a bit more than you do. I also had high BP and cholesterol. I also point blank refused ANY medication from the start (and now don’t need it anyway). I also didn’t bother with a meter to begin with; it would have probably freaked me out, but have one now and sometimes check ... just to make sure all is ok (I actually got a good fitness tracker long before I got a meter). I lost 6 stone (probably too much) so put a stone back on. I’m now incredibly fit - and love my phys daily - find an exercise / sport you will enjoy, that way you are more likely to stick with it (for me it is mountain biking / spinning / and road cycling), so yes I am definately that MAMIL, and the wife says I look damned good in it and have fantastic legs ; oh and we got a wonderful dog who needs loads of walking. I now enjoy a VERY healthy diet.Yes I am ‘carb conscious’ just very sensible with those I do eat .... just as many healthy people do. I find I can still have the odd takeaway or, occasional pizza, and a couple of beers .... just as many healthy people do. I find this is not a life of continual denial or abstinence, more being sensible and mindful.

My hba1c numbers .... and ALL the other numbers are now consistently in the healthy range and I choose to think of myself as a ‘healthy’ person (a word you will see I’ve used a few times here) despite the ‘branding’ I now carry for life!

Good luck .... get yerself ‘healthy’ I feel fantastic now!

Best wishes
H

Reactions: Sam50 and NannyP 2

NannyP 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I am just a few weeks in myself. I am an avid reader so have combed this forum for various information which I have found extremely useful. I have a blood sugar meter (mother in laws) but found the test strips to expensive for the testing that i want to carry out. So I have ordered the Tee2 testing meter and strips meter was free and the strips are very very reasonably priced per pack. With the testing I have found certain things that spike my sugar level and other foods that don't. one thing that I see time and time again is that each person is individual and one size does not fit all. Best regards.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jenny Ruhl says that using the control solution is a waste of a strip. She has never in all her huge experience as a T2 and member of forums known the control solution to show up a faulty meter or strip.
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/strange-readings-check-your-meter.html

I agree with her 100%. I never once used it on my Codefree, and only once on my Accu Chek when I was seeing some strange numbers. The strange numbers turned out to be nothing to do with the meter.