pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a bit more complicated that that, and Lucozade is no longer appropriate because of the reduced sugar content.
I'd forgotten about that. Does the NHS use an alternative since my diagnosis?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oral glucose tolerance test.
IMO carefully checking pre and post prandial bg is much more appropriate. This shows you what is happening to your bg every day in real life, eating the foods you actually eat and in the quantities you normally consume. It also lets you test before and after 2 hours, to catch possible belated spikes due to delayed stomach emptying (a diabetic complication from which I and many diabetics suffer). Were I to take this test, I would almost certainly be cleared as having no problem whatever with my bg, and then, unrecorded, I'd have a huge spike after eg 4 hours.

Reactions: whitech

Peridot67

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you eat and drink at this meal?
Fresh smoked salmon, salad with homemade quacamole & hummus on the side with some oatcakes.. Yeah I know, weird but playing with stuff to try and replace my carbs as I am still hungry after meals atm..

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fresh smoked salmon, salad with homemade quacamole & hummus on the side with some oatcakes.. Yeah I know, weird but playing with stuff to try and replace my carbs as I am still hungry after meals atm..
Sorry, but lots of carbs in oatcakes, some in hummus and depending on the contents, a few in the salad. But the fat content could stand being bumped up a lot, which would make you feel fuller, and the protein content is probably a bit lacking too. Of course I'm not suggesting you avoid all carbs, but IMO it's a good idea to be aware of exactly how many one is eating, and also to deliberately replace them with protein and fat.

Btw not weird at all, just the kind of meal I'd have enjoyed before realising I needed to eat low carb.

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic in dec 2017 with an HBA1C of 42 :/
I then strictly followed Dr McDougalls recomendations of a whole foods plant based diet with no added fats or OILS, and 3 mths later my HBA!C came back at 35.
Dr said i was fine and left it at that, but obviously I was headed in a bad direction so I am continuing with a HCLF diet instead of how i was eating and keeping an eye on things.
Most days i eat about 300 grams of carbs and less than 20 gm fat . (80/10/10)

I bought a glucose meter to keep a track of things myself.
I think most of my morning fastings are fine, but i had one day, a stressful day where a pet of our was killed where I measured a spike of 13.6 1 hr ppd / 11.3 2 hr ppd which freaked me out!
I assume it was due to stress as I eat that same meal often and am fine?
It also may be that I didn't know I had to wash my hands before testing, and had food residue on them, seeing as i only had the meter for a few days!
The same day is the day the fasting glucose was 6.2

10/4/18
4.8 fasting

11/4/18
6.2 fasting :/

12/4/18
fasting 5.1

14/4/18
fasting 5.5

15/4/18
Fasting 5.9

16/4/18
Fasting 5.6

17/4/18
Fasting 5.0

18/4/18
Fasting 5.4

19/4/18
Fasting 5.4

20/4/18
Fasting 4.8

21/4/18
Fasting 4.8

22/4/18
Fasting 4.9

23/4/18

24/4/18
Fasting 4.7

25/4/18
Fasting 4.4

26/4/18

27/4/18
Fasting 5.3

28/4/18
Fasting 5.3

29/4/18
Fasting 4.9

30/4/18

1/5/18

2/5/18

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do people check the moment they wake up or just before they eat breakfast? Sometimes it can be at least 90mins between getting out of bed and eating for me

Last edited:

trimanfour

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic in dec 2017 with an HBA1C of 42 :/
I then strictly followed Dr McDougalls recomendations of a whole foods plant based diet with no added fats or OILS, and 3 mths later my HBA!C came back at 35.
Dr said i was fine and left it at that, but obviously I was headed in a bad direction so I am continuing with a HCLF diet instead of how i was eating and keeping an eye on things.
Most days i eat about 300 grams of carbs and less than 20 gm fat . (80/10/10)

I bought a glucose meter to keep a track of things myself.
I think most of my morning fastings are fine, but i had one day, a stressful day where a pet of our was killed where I measured a spike of 13.6 1 hr ppd / 11.3 2 hr ppd which freaked me out!
I assume it was due to stress as I eat that same meal often and am fine?
The same day is the day the fasting glucose was 6.2

10/4/18
4.8 fasting

11/4/18
6.2 fasting :/

12/4/18
fasting 5.1

14/4/18
fasting 5.5

15/4/18
Fasting 5.9

16/4/18
Fasting 5.6

17/4/18
Fasting 5.0

18/4/18
Fasting 5.4

19/4/18
Fasting 5.4

20/4/18
Fasting 4.8

21/4/18
Fasting 4.8

22/4/18
Fasting 4.9

23/4/18

24/4/18
Fasting 4.7

25/4/18
Fasting 4.4

26/4/18

27/4/18
Fasting 5.3

28/4/18
Fasting 5.3

29/4/18
Fasting 4.9

30/4/18

1/5/18

2/5/18
You really need to look at your fat intake, and get it up to at least 45% of your daily intake!! Then, your carbs intake is WAY to high!! In the end, this is the key to better health - get your carbs intake to less than 50 grams per day!! Try this for just two weeks and feel the wonderful result!!

trimanfour

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
Read more about the "Craft Assay" on pre-diabetes, it is a wake-up call for every person interesting to get rid of this problem of pre-diabetes!! If you do nothing about it, you will as surely as day follows night get full blown Diabetes!!! CUT THE CARBS, GET YOUR INTAKE OF THE GOOD KINDS OF FAT WAY UP, eat moderate protein, and see how miraculous pre-diabetes disappears!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do people check the moment they wake up or just before they eat breakfast? Sometimes it can be at least 90mins between getting out of bed and eating for me

Immediately on getting out of bed (after washing hands) otherwise what you do in that 90 minutes will have a major effect.

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I test when i first get up to go to the loo in the morning before I do anything else.
Last two days : steady 4.9

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Read more about the "Craft Assay" on pre-diabetes, it is a wake-up call for every person interesting to get rid of this problem of pre-diabetes!! If you do nothing about it, you will as surely as day follows night get full blown Diabetes!!! CUT THE CARBS, GET YOUR INTAKE OF THE GOOD KINDS OF FAT WAY UP, eat moderate protein, and see how miraculous pre-diabetes disappears!!

There is actually very well documented success in not only reversing Pre-diabetes, but also full blown diabetes, in people who follow a whole food, plant based, NO ADDED OILS diet with a total intake of fat from natural sources such as avocado and olives kept below 10%.
The added bonus is also the Lipid panels falling to much better levels etc and cutting risk of heart disease.

I was eating alot of fat, which was the problem!
I have cut the fat out and my levels have improved.

You are right - if you do NOTHING , you will have a big problem on your hands!
People that are actually proactive, and research and take the best approach for them, usually have a better chance at success.
Which for either camp means cutting out the ****, the sweets, the pizzas and sodas, and eating a different way.
I think alot of people put it in the "too hard basket" and just continue on, which is what my Aunty did and she is the classic case of terrible consquences with her health.

Eating lots of carbohydrates with alot of fat is asking for trouble!
You can either do one, or the other.

I got a wake up call with that blood test and it was the motivator for me to finally put down the chocolate bars and change, and by the time they let me have the next test, it was much better!
My hba1c was 35, and hopefully next test even better as that was while still eating white naan breads with my soup and white rice etc occasionally, and i was having a bagel for breakfast every morning, which I now do not do.
I knew to stop eating refined sugars, but i didn't realise I should only pick the whole grains, and not the white.
I know better now as I joined a group of experienced people that have helped me work it out, many who have been very ill with diabetes and now are not.

Everyone needs to take control of their own health, as it's their body that suffers the consequence.
I have read info from both camps, and this is the route I choose, and it is showing results.
I think it's important to be open minded and also to allow others to do what they know is working for them even if it's different from what we would choose.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Warning About the Type 2 Testing Program , mainly because I didn't realise they were sending every quarter and BILLING me £29.91 PER quarter !! I was sure it was a one off then they'd send me strips (which they did ) little did I know I was being billed £29:91 per quarter ! (not even a new Lancet gun !) Not per year . As I thought? I have a TEE 2 now but don't use it as much since I was diagnosed 'normal ' in January . Just received another 2 Nexus test strips @£ 29:91 Aaargh! (I'm hopefully getting a refund . ( Will make a new thread for this I think aswell but want to give my old Prediabetes pals the heads up BEWARE ) Love and Best wishes ~ PreDiet

P

pollensa

Those are impressive numbers, a question, are you prediabetic? Plus, what is your current A1C ?
Excellent numbers, re question current A1C and pre diabetic?? good question, but also not an easy question to use as guide, I give example...

"Once I had first A1C 8.1% this turned out to be lab error only after I asked for recheck! for fact it was discordant with normal finger prick levels it registered against this 8.1% 108mg/dl average sugars!?? Normally 8.1% is around 186mg/dl, hence I hounded "the system", to double check, told ignore don't take notice, I did not ignore as you can imagine.

Then I have have A1C that is 6.5% i.e. with 146mg/dl average sugars?? but Spain views 6.5% as DIABETIC RANGE, BUT new Zealand my home view 6.5% as pre diabetic

Keep in mind, I am labelled one country Diabetic and the other Pre diabetic....

Recent A1C 5.5% showed average of 108mg/dl average sugars the SAME as an A1C of 8.1%??????

Its where do we go, perhaps, whether we are pre something that may or may not happen situation, or Diabetic, if the numbers are good i.e. on the normal levels, that's wonderful.

Currently my last A1C 5% showed average levels sugar equating to this 5% as 186mg/dl oh my goodness so do I presume A1C is typographical error again i.e. should be 8% or do I just ignore again as Doc says, for fact, all my
finger testing numbers for 13 months have been totally normal range, consistently, daily and three monthly intervals, i.e.
fasting 84mg/dl 2 hour after eat 82, random anytime after breakfast 86mg/dl and even same one number up or down
either way even testing in June, and then again Sept, so its not just a matter of a good day or a LUCKY day all showing good, its consistently the same, real blood finger test.

the question I have is how reliable is A1C errors x 1 confirmed possibly two and discordant average blood sugars against the result of A1C leave a lot to be desired, but that's only my own experience.

Bewildering and in wonderment, I take the results any with a pinch of salt and if I am up one day higher on fasting, but majority is lower 2hr and random, I view the majority over the one higher, same if its 2hr higher, but fasting and random normal levels, always I take the majority.

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but new to all of this so apologises in advance.

After a HbA1c of 43 I was told I was pre-diabetic about a year ago but have not really done anything about it. Recently after buying a monitor and started taking readings I have been taking things more seriously. I have lost 6lbs in the last 4 weeks although I am not too over weight anyway. My fasting readings are usually between 5.6 -5.8 and after meals below 6.8 within 2 hours [except when I have chips or teacakes?]. I have re-started exercises [which I have done pretty much all my life but stopped 6 months ago due to a knee injury].

I have, after reading articles and postings on this forum reduced Carbs and this is a problem for me I think because twice now in the last 10 days whilst doing aerobic exercise [about 10 minutes in] I start feeling weird. The first time I took my blood sugar and it was 3.5/ rechecked and it was 3.2 so had some milk and after 15 minutes was 5.7. Today it happened again but this time 2.9/recheck 2.6 and 15 minutes later after milk and some chocolate 4.7. It is really worrying me. I had for lunch 2 hours earlier of 3 slices wholemeal bread, 2 eggs and a banana and so would have thought my sugars would not have been too low before exercising [but did not check and perhaps I need to].

The first time it happened I cut my 30 minute aerobic session into two 15 minutes sessions 4 hours apart and I thought that was it cured. I never have a problem with the morning session.

To be honest I am really confused - on the one hand I want to exercise and I have been told by many this is the route to avoid diabetes but the exercise is lowering blood sugar too much so I have to wonder if I am diabetic at all? People say avoid carbs but this seems to be creating problems for me. I just don't understand what I need to do from here.

Any advice/ suggestions much appreciated.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
"pre" is just a label & #'s are just that..... Any type of elevated blood sugars (or lows) should be taken seriously w/LC diet & no sugar/grains/processed foods. (The only reason why we need labels is for insurance companies.) Borderline readings are a warning. So if you are having "lows" yes you are still on the pre-D T2D spectrum. Milk,bread, bananas & chocolate are not good choices for pre-D control.