Testing - what - how - when

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, spitting, dog poop on the pavement
Hi guys - sorry if these questions have been asked before..
1, Is it necessary for type 2 to test their blood sugars?
2, If so how often?
3, What meters would you recommend?
4, What levels are you looking for?

Thank you for your patience...

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Ellenw

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want to lower your bg by eating a lower carb diet, you need the feedback a meter can give you. We are all different and whereas one person may be able to consume 150g carbs daily, another (eg me) has to reduce their carbs to <20 daily. We only find out by testing.

These two are the meters many of us on this Forum who self-fund use. They have probably the cheapest strips.

(1) The TEE2 meter is free, but alas not the strips to use with it, which cost £7.75 for 50 ex VAT.

With your free meter you get a useful little carrying case, 10 free strips, 10 free lancets (which will last for ages if, like me, you re-use them) a free lancet gun and free bottles of testing fluid. Customer service is fantastic. You can speak directly to a REAL PERSON 24/7 on a freephone line (0800 881 542 whenever you have a question or if you prefer not to order online. Your order arrives pretty much by return of post. You can have a replacement gun, more batteries and more testing fluid all free. The meter works fast and it only requires a small drop of blood. It supposedly will transfer readings to an app by bluetooth, but only some phones and tablets are suitable. Mine aren't.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Alternatively you can buy a CodeFree meter starter kit for £12.89 here:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

The advantage of the Codefree meter is that the strips work out slightly cheaper than for the TEE2 if you buy 50 (£7.69), but much cheaper if you buy in bulk. (To do this you have to put in a special code, available here on the Forum.) One disadvantage is that the Codefree customer service is way inferior to that of the TEE2 and only available during working hours Monday to Friday. This is particularly important if one is new to testing, as it means with the TEE2 one can get advice at any time of the day or night. One's Codefree order arrives much more slowly than the TEE2. So if, like me, you have a tendency to forget to order until you are about to run out, the TEE2 is better. With the Codefree not only do you have to pay for the meter, you also pay for any replacement batteries or testing fluid you may need later.

Don't forget that as a diabetic you don't have to pay VAT. You can sign up for this on the order forms.

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Discount codes for the strips for the Code Free from Homehealth are as follows:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
The codes can be used over and over

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Discount codes for the strips for the Code Free from Homehealth are as follows:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
The codes can be used over and over
Thank you - very helpful..:)

Reactions: dbr10

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you want to lower your bg by eating a lower carb diet, you need the feedback a meter can give you. We are all different and whereas one person may be able to consume 150g carbs daily, another (eg me) has to reduce their carbs to <20 daily. We only find out by testing.

These two are the meters many of us on this Forum who self-fund use. They have probably the cheapest strips.

(1) The TEE2 meter is free, but alas not the strips to use with it, which cost £7.75 for 50 ex VAT.

With your free meter you get a useful little carrying case, 10 free strips, 10 free lancets (which will last for ages if, like me, you re-use them) a free lancet gun and free bottles of testing fluid. Customer service is fantastic. You can speak directly to a REAL PERSON 24/7 on a freephone line (0800 881 542 whenever you have a question or if you prefer not to order online. Your order arrives pretty much by return of post. You can have a replacement gun, more batteries and more testing fluid all free. The meter works fast and it only requires a small drop of blood. It supposedly will transfer readings to an app by bluetooth, but only some phones and tablets are suitable. Mine aren't.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Alternatively you can buy a CodeFree meter starter kit for £12.89 here:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

The advantage of the Codefree meter is that the strips work out slightly cheaper than for the TEE2 if you buy 50 (£7.69), but much cheaper if you buy in bulk. (To do this you have to put in a special code, available here on the Forum.) One disadvantage is that the Codefree customer service is way inferior to that of the TEE2 and only available during working hours Monday to Friday. This is particularly important if one is new to testing, as it means with the TEE2 one can get advice at any time of the day or night. One's Codefree order arrives much more slowly than the TEE2. So if, like me, you have a tendency to forget to order until you are about to run out, the TEE2 is better. With the Codefree not only do you have to pay for the meter, you also pay for any replacement batteries or testing fluid you may need later.

Don't forget that as a diabetic you don't have to pay VAT. You can sign up for this on the order forms.
Thank you for your in depth reply..I have ordered a meter...:)

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
well I did my first test with my brand new meter ..(I checked it first with the test solutions) and my BG 2 hours after lunch was 11.5..:(..It was a celebratory work lunch with cake... But all the same that's rather high...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I did my first test with my brand new meter ..(I checked it first with the test solutions) and my BG 2 hours after lunch was 11.5..:(..It was a celebratory work lunch with cake... But all the same that's rather high...
Indeed it is .. so what have you learnt from the experience?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Don't feel bad. You would not have seen that rise without the meter so look on it all as a lesson well learned.
Plenty of recipes for low carb cakes out there and when you test them against your meter you will probably be delighted! Well done on getting the best tool any Diabetic could have.

Reactions: Smallbrit

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't feel bad. You would not have seen that rise without the meter so look on it all as a lesson well learned.
Plenty of recipes for low carb cakes out there and when you test them against your meter you will probably be delighted! Well done on getting the best tool any Diabetic could have.
It is indeed..Thank you for your kind reply.. ..It's also about educating others..My partner bought me some salted caramel ice cream last night and was a bit miffed I only had a smidgen and called him a feeder...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is indeed..Thank you for your kind reply.. ..It's also about educating others..My partner bought me some salted caramel ice cream last night and was a bit miffed I only had a smidgen and called him a feeder...

Ahhhh, ask him for Oppo Ice Cream, it is very popular on the forum and apparently lower carb and tasty.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhhh, ask him for Oppo Ice Cream, it is very popular on the forum and apparently lower carb and tasty.

Oppo ice cream is delicious and one of the flavours is salted caramel :hungry:

Reactions: Hwad and Ellenw

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No regular cake at least...maybe check out some lower carb alternatives..or if you can do no cake ever then even better.
Thank you - yes..I can do no cake...:)

P

pollensa

Hi guys - sorry if these questions have been asked before..
1, Is it necessary for type 2 to test their blood sugars?
2, If so how often?
3, What meters would you recommend?
4, What levels are you looking for?

Thank you for your patience...

Not a Doctor, and individuals cases differ one to another, but generally speaking.

1. Here Mallorca, conflicting advices, some doctors say testing waste of time, others say every 14 days sufficient, others say 3 monthly others say not at all, just have A1C, that really does not help anyone decide unfortunately. I think for peace of mind one should check when ever they feel, personally as pre diabetic I check only every 3 months, and my numbers in this space period always come up the same consistently with very little variations, indicating its not just a good day, good luck.

As No.1 above.

There is fabulous lancing device GENTEEL, no pain, no pressing for blood, no sore fingers, you can test, arm, knee, palm hand, and go with any monitor of choice.

Now this is the big question! what is the correct 100% level to aim for either A1C and/or finger testing, as to my understanding from reputable sources, all the levels set anywhere in the world, levels by expert committees or other they are arbitrary set as acknowledged by ADA and WHO, all or any changes, ultimately, are at the end of the day ARBITRARY set, chosen, at whim random choice. This I feel personally is not a healthy situation for anyone with insulin issues when efforts motivation and will power to achieve below cut off levels, to give an example, in Spain a person with 6.5% A1C result is viewed as Diabetic yet if they jump on a plane back home to New Zealand they are viewed Pre Diabetic as NZ cut off level is 6.6%. So its a case of where you are resident time of diagnosing, determines your results, basically, two countries can view same A1C cut off 6.5% yet diagnose that result differently, It would be wonderful if no variations existed, levels viewed same worldwide without causing frustration, wonderment an to allow people to be testing and aiming for a level that the world follows strictly i.e. Why dont the so called experts or committees who anyone else, choose a level backed and supported by medical and clinical evidence, that final chosen level has to be strictly adhered and followed by every country to save situations where variations exist, to a degree that one is placed in a position of being given a label of Diabetic one country and pre diabetic in another country based on the same A1C result level number. Unfortunately and sadly, the question of doubt remains, "what is the 100% correct number level that one has to aim for....continues as currently to my understanding are Arbitrary set, so aiming for a particular level, varies from country to country unfortunately.

I guess, base levels of cut offs in the country one is resident time of testing is the simplest method or what ones doctor or other indicates?