Morning Stomach Ache

ghost_whistler

This has been a problem for some time. I'm not sure what causes it.

After breakfast I often have some discomfort, sometimes it can be more pronounced than others. I added fibre at the start of the year to ease constipation.

However I seem to have developed almost the opposite symptom. the other day I had three visits to the loo in one morning. Good job I didn't need to catch a bus as I often do in the morning (and nearly got caught short a week earlier!). It's not per se diarhea, but it's certainly not constipation. It's not painful or bloody.

I can't figure out what I'm eating that's causing this. Is this a normal thing on low carb?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

After breakfast I often have some discomfort, sometimes it can be more pronounced than others. I added fibre at the start of the year to ease constipation.

However I seem to have developed almost the opposite symptom. the other day I had three visits to the loo in one morning. Good job I didn't need to catch a bus as I often do in the morning (and nearly got caught short a week earlier!). It's not per se diarhea, but it's certainly not constipation. It's not painful or bloody.

I can't figure out what I'm eating that's causing this. Is this a normal thing on low carb?

What do you actually eat ? Is it low carb ?
Do you take metformin which Can actually create exactly this kind of problems ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You are not diabetic, so its not metformin or any other diabetic meds causing the problem.

I would say its just one of those things. We are not machines, so our bodily functions vary from day to day. If it continues to be a daily thing, or more than three times a week, I would seek medical advice if I were you. If not, have a think about what you ate that day and see if it happens again.

ghost_whistler

What do you actually eat ? Is it low carb ?
Do you take metformin which Can actually create exactly this kind of problems ?
it is low carb.

meat: chicken or pork
veg: spinach, sometimes broccoli.

I take flaxseed as fibre: about 50g cooked in a muffin eaten in slices with each meal.

Reactions: Fruitella

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is low carb.

meat: chicken or pork
veg: spinach, sometimes broccoli.

I take flaxseed as fibre: about 50g cooked in a muffin eaten in slices with each meal.

well flaxseeds are not healthy in that amounts every day, there is something in it that can be poisonous if one eat too much of it, no more than a spoonful every other day , you know almost like if one eat too many bitter almonds...https://www.livestrong.com/article/538409-flax-meal-cyanide/
https://universityhealthnews.com/da...seed-benefits-your-health-or-not-part-3-of-3/
you would do yourself a favour if you make a diet plan that varies much more, there is also something in spinach that is not healthy if eaten every day as the oxal acid in it can take calcium out of ones bones, https://www.nutriliving.com/nutriti...1965-i-read-you-shouldnt-eat-raw-spinach-true

both kinds of foods are healthy if eaten maybe once or twice a week, but there are so many other kinds of foods that you could mix into your diet also without quitting those two favorite foods totally..

I think it is true that a diet should be varied and not monotone ... if you hate always shifting, then make a menu that changes over 30 days but written so that you don´t have to find new ideas all the time

you can also find ways to use psyllium husk in your cake as kind of fibre for your stomack https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/psyllium-husks-powder.html

Last edited:

ghost_whistler

well flaxseeds are not healthy in that amounts every day, there is something in it that can be poisonous if one eat too much of it, no more than a spoonful every other day , you know almost like if one eat too many bitter almonds...https://www.livestrong.com/article/538409-flax-meal-cyanide/
https://universityhealthnews.com/da...seed-benefits-your-health-or-not-part-3-of-3/
you would do yourself a favour if you make a diet plan that varies much more, there is also something in spinach that is not healthy if eaten every day as the oxal acid in it can take calcium out of ones bones, https://www.nutriliving.com/nutriti...1965-i-read-you-shouldnt-eat-raw-spinach-true

both kinds of foods are healthy if eaten maybe once or twice a week, but there are so many other kinds of foods that you could mix into your diet also without quitting those two favorite foods totally..

I think it is true that a diet should be varied and not monotone ... if you hate always shifting, then make a menu that changes over 30 days but written so that you don´t have to find new ideas all the time

you can also find ways to use psyllium husk in your cake as kind of fibre for your stomack https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/psyllium-husks-powder.html
Well that's depressing, but I have to say it's not terribly conclusive. Some people like a more varied diet, but I'm not one of them.

I eat what I eat because it tastes nice, which is important, and is affordable. But I'm not immediately taken with these claims. They are no more convincing thatn the sorts of claims made by the anti LCHF crowd - 'fats may be unhealthy' IYSWIM

Is there solid eevidential basis for varying a diet? WHat sort of variety would that involve? Spinach is, afaik, very healthy. What would you eat instead that's still low carb (<20g)?

Maybe I'm getting flax cyanide poisoning, but I'd need to see more evidence to be convinced I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.

I have tried psylium in the muffins but unfortunately it dries everything out and it's also very expensive. Flax is a lot cheaper £1 a bag from Grape Tree

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that's depressing, but I have to say it's not terribly conclusive. Some people like a more varied diet, but I'm not one of them.

I eat what I eat because it tastes nice, which is important, and is affordable. But I'm not immediately taken with these claims. They are no more convincing thatn the sorts of claims made by the anti LCHF crowd - 'fats may be unhealthy' IYSWIM

Is there solid eevidential basis for varying a diet? WHat sort of variety would that involve? Spinach is, afaik, very healthy. What would you eat instead that's still low carb (<20g)?

Maybe I'm getting flax cyanide poisoning, but I'd need to see more evidence to be convinced I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.

I have tried psylium in the muffins but unfortunately it dries everything out and it's also very expensive. Flax is a lot cheaper £1 a bag from Grape Tree

what I really wanted to point out is that maybe the flaxseeds are what gives you the stomack problems
http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/serious-side-effects-flax-seeds/#gref

by a varied diet, I only mean a diet that concludes all essential nutrients minerals and trace minerals and vitamins, and fat-types in the optimal ratio...

I am not against low carb high-fat diet, on the contrary, I think it is a very fine way of eating, as long as one do keep an eye on what is essential to the human health brain and body to thrive

Last edited:
Reactions: lucylocket61

ghost_whistler

Not sure what to do about this. If i cut flax, I cut a major source of fibre. I struggled on keto with low fibre. It wasnt pleasant.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Not sure what to do about this. If i cut flax, I cut a major source of fibre. I struggled on keto with low fibre. It wasnt pleasant.
You could try some ispaghula husk - made for up to three times daily intake. Most excellent addition.

Edit - added daily.

ghost_whistler

You could try some ispaghula husk - made for up to three times daily intake. Most excellent addition.

Edit - added daily.
How much is it?

I buy flax because it's cheap. £1 for a week's worth from the shop and it has good fat, omega 6 and a bunch of other stuff (apparently - it's considered a 'superfood', which is porbably as meaningless as '5 a day')

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that you are overdoing the flaxseed - 50 gm is a large dose - maybe try half that or less and see if it is still effective without the unwanted effects.
If it is whole seeds you are starting off with, maybe try soaking them overnight in order to hydrate them and remove unwanted minerals - like we used to do with rice but seem to have stopped thinking is important.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
My post was really in response to you saying flax was your major source of fibre.

Ispaghula husk is just fibre, nothing else. It is very good for that purpose, and is safe.

Price - don't know, you need to check that at a Chemists. It’s certainly a lot more expensive than £1 a week.

ghost_whistler

I suspect that you are overdoing the flaxseed - 50 gm is a large dose - maybe try half that or less and see if it is still effective without the unwanted effects.
If it is whole seeds you are starting off with, maybe try soaking them overnight in order to hydrate them and remove unwanted minerals - like we used to do with rice but seem to have stopped thinking is important.
I grind up the seeds in a blender. I'm not sure about soaking them. Is that necessary?

I picked 50gm to get good a good dose of fibre. I average about 20g a day. The dietary recommendations, for what they are worth, advocate 30, which seems pretty huge.

ghost_whistler

My post was really in response to you saying flax was your major source of fibre.

Ispaghula husk is just fibre, nothing else. It is very good for that purpose, and is safe.

Price - don't know, you need to check that at a Chemists. It’s certainly a lot more expensive than £1 a week.
Yeah that's the problem with these supplements. Psyllium is the same. A shame because the latter is very high fibre. Don't know what other nutrients it has, compared to something like flax or chia, but it's very expensive.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just noticed on my bag of chia seed, the maximum daily amount is 15gm.
The 50 gm of linseed in your muffin, is, I am pretty sure, over the recommended amount.

ghost_whistler

I just noticed on my bag of chia seed, the maximum daily amount is 15gm.
The 50 gm of linseed in your muffin, is, I am pretty sure, over the recommended amount.
max daily amount? I've never seen any such recommendation on any packet of chia or flax. Why is this? Does it say?

Seems incongrous with the recommendation that people are meant to get 30g fibre a day

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seeds can be a problem for people who have diverticulitis. Maybe you have that and it is causing the pain? But if you insist on eating massive amounts of flax seeds against all logic, then live with the consequences. Your body, your choice.

Reactions: lucylocket61