Carnivore Diet

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Shortly after commencing the LCHF diet, the symptoms I was suffering with, brain fog, fatigue, joint pain etc. began to improve. Since being able to tolerate certain carbohydrates due to further weight loss and including these in my diet, these symptoms have returned and have recently become worse, even though my BG doesn’t rise above 8.5. Due to this I decided to try the Carnivore Diet, only eating meat, fish, eggs and a small amount of diary and drinking water, except for a coffee in the morning with thick cream. During this time, my BG remained below 5.5 the whole time.
The effect of this as been very interesting. The symptoms I have described above have reduced again and also some other unexpected changes. My sinuses have become clear and I can now breathe easily through my nose and the tinnitus I had suffered with has gone. I have also developed a level of mental clarity that I don’t think I have ever experienced before.

After 7 days, I introduced some carbs back into my diet and within a day started to feel the symptoms return and after a birthday meal where I ordered the least carb meal possible, felt worse than ever the next morning.

From this, I am starting to think that high circulating Insulin is the cause of my symptoms and due to the difficulty of maintaining the Carnivore Diet with my employment, wondered whether Metformin would be worth a try?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given the low risk and cost of metformin it is worth trying if your GP will agree.

But I expect you will get better results from taking your own food to work so you can avoid all carbs.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My response is respectful, but to me more obvious....give up the carbs. Your tests indicate you are carb intolerant. With the numbers you were getting circa 5.5, why would you not do everything to prepare your meals to fit into this method - just my view.

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the prompt replies.

I do understand but I travel around the UK, Ireland and occasionally Europe and can be away from home for 3-4 consecutive days. LCHF was doable but Carnivore makes it much harder. I was hoping that I could do just meat while not away and LCHF when away, but if doing just meat makes LCHF react the way it just did, it doesn’t seem probable.

BTW I enjoyed the Carnivore diet. Aldi 28 day rib eye with 2 fried eggs 5/6 days a week is fine with me.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
My response is respectful, but to me more obvious....give up the carbs. Your tests indicate you are carb intolerant. With the numbers you were getting circa 5.5, why would you not do everything to prepare your meals to fit into this method - just my view.

What he said.....

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Do you eat above-ground vegetables as well?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you eat above-ground vegetables as well?
not on the eat meat drink water diet.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I do understand but I travel around the UK, Ireland and occasionally Europe and can be away from home for 3-4 consecutive days. LCHF was doable but Carnivore makes it much harder. I was hoping that I could do just meat while not away and LCHF when away, but if doing just meat makes LCHF react the way it just did, it doesn’t seem probable.

BTW I enjoyed the Carnivore diet. Aldi 28 day rib eye with 2 fried eggs 5/6 days a week is fine with me.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, ham and cheese roll (literally not bread rolls) for lunch and steak on expenses! sounds awesome to me :)

Reactions: ringi and darenu

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @darenu good job being willing to experiment! When you are traveling, could you not get hot breakfasts where you are staying that would provide bacon, sausages, eggs and so forth? Could you not stash some cheese and hard boiled eggs in your fridge in your hotel room if one is provided? I would think with a little creativity you could have your carnivore diet even when on the road! Oh, and also yogurt could be kept....I would encourage you to go for the good bg' and feeling better! Being more alert is always a good thing too!! Cheers/L

Reactions: darenu

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @darenu good job being willing to experiment! When you are traveling, could you not get hot breakfasts where you are staying that would provide bacon, sausages, eggs and so forth? Could you not stash some cheese and hard boiled eggs in your fridge in your hotel room if one is provided? I would think with a little creativity you could have your carnivore diet even when on the road! Oh, and also yogurt could be kept....I would encourage you to go for the good bg' and feeling better! Being more alert is always a good thing too!! Cheers/L

Thanks and yes, I’ve just been looking at getting a cool box to put in the boot of my car to stash all the no carb goodies

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I go off for a weeks camping once a year, and always take a box of cooking things - small gas cookers and little pots and pans, even a tiny wok, and my chopping boards and sharp knives. Once I have run through the things I take with me I head for the butcher's shop where I am known of old and at the end of each afternoon I carry a slice of meat back to the van to cook it.
I am the envy of many as the smell of the cooking wafts over the cricket ground where I park - I am sure I could set up a 'pop up' eatery just on the smell alone.

trotskyite

Shortly after commencing the LCHF diet, the symptoms I was suffering with, brain fog, fatigue, joint pain etc. began to improve. Since being able to tolerate certain carbohydrates due to further weight loss and including these in my diet, these symptoms have returned and have recently become worse, even though my BG doesn’t rise above 8.5. Due to this I decided to try the Carnivore Diet, only eating meat, fish, eggs and a small amount of diary and drinking water, except for a coffee in the morning with thick cream. During this time, my BG remained below 5.5 the whole time.
The effect of this as been very interesting. The symptoms I have described above have reduced again and also some other unexpected changes. My sinuses have become clear and I can now breathe easily through my nose and the tinnitus I had suffered with has gone. I have also developed a level of mental clarity that I don’t think I have ever experienced before.

After 7 days, I introduced some carbs back into my diet and within a day started to feel the symptoms return and after a birthday meal where I ordered the least carb meal possible, felt worse than ever the next morning.

From this, I am starting to think that high circulating Insulin is the cause of my symptoms and due to the difficulty of maintaining the Carnivore Diet with my employment, wondered whether Metformin would be worth a try?
Certain meats eg beef and white fish are highly insulinogenic. Sean baker the carnivore MD, who I follow, has managed to attain diabetic levels of bg following a beef only diet also sky high LDL and an elderly woman's level of testosterone. Look it up

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Certain meats eg beef and white fish are highly insulinogenic. Sean baker the carnivore MD, who I follow, has managed to attain diabetic levels of bg following a beef only diet also sky high LDL and an elderly woman's level of testosterone. Look it up
I am guessing you mean Shawn Baker MD? Could you point me to where he shares this info? All I’ve even read about him is that he advocates the carnivore diet? Thanks

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Here's where Shawn Baker discusses his lab results after 15 months of zero carb:

http://robbwolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Paleo-Solution-385.pdf

No, his testosterone level was not that of an elderly woman, just at the low end of what's the normal range for men in their 50s.

No, he did not have diabetic levels of blood glucose.

No, his diet had no effect on his LDL, but increased his HDL and lowered his triglycerides.

Reactions: CassandraGreensmith

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's where Shawn Baker discusses his lab results after 15 months of zero carb:

http://robbwolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Paleo-Solution-385.pdf

No, his testosterone level was not that of an elderly woman, just at the low end of what's the normal range for men in their 50s.

No, he did not have diabetic levels of blood glucose.

No, his diet had no effect on his LDL, but increased his HDL and lowered his triglycerides.

But like WFPB proponents why let the truth get in the way of a good yarn...

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check the Joe Rogan podcast where he has Shawn in for a chat, very good. The ones with Dom D'Agostino for Keto are good too.

CassieJayneT1

For those following a carnivore diet, How do you Inject insulin for the protein? And how much does the high amount of protein affect your BG?
Thanks