What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What exactly did you eat yesterday?

Breakfast was 2 eggs with 1tbl heavy cream, 2 slices of prosciutto and 1 tbl mascarpone.
Lunch 1 cup arugula with 2tbl feta and the cap of a red pepper with a tin of sardines in olive oil
Dinner 1 quarter avacado a small burger I cooked in butter plus 2 leafs of cabbage sautéed with the top of one scallion and 2 mushroom caps plus one hard boiled egg

Reactions: ianpspurs

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was 2 eggs with 1tbl heavy cream, 2 slices of prosciutto and 1 tbl mascarpone.
Lunch 1 cup arugula with 2tbl feta and the cap of a red pepper with a tin of sardines in olive oil
Dinner 1 quarter avacado a small burger I cooked in butter plus 2 leafs of cabbage sautéed with the top of one scallion and 2 mushroom caps plus one hard boiled egg
I'm not an expert but that looks the perfect food for low readings. Have you eaten similarly over the previous days? Sometimes my higher readings reflect carbs eaten over 2 to 3 days prior to testing high!

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not an expert but that looks the perfect food for low readings. Have you eaten similarly over the previous days? Sometimes my higher readings reflect carbs eaten over 2 to 3 days prior to testing high!

That’s how I’ve been eating since diagnosed about a month ago. It seemed to be working well but now my numbers are creeping up. I don’t understand. I did have a bit of wine over the last week but had none last night. Like binge amounts for several days running due to stress. Stupid. Maybe that has a lasting effect. I don’t know. Am hoping the readings go down in the next few days.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s how I’ve been eating since diagnosed about a month ago. It seemed to be working well but now my numbers are creeping up. I don’t understand. I did have a bit of wine over the last week but had none last night. Like binge amounts for several days running due to stress. Stupid. Maybe that has a lasting effect. I don’t know. Am hoping the readings go down in the next few days.
I think the wine is the culprit. I've been on LCHF since 8 Dec. Readings coming down...until I introduced wine. Instead of my jugs of water 1 glass a night (large) not every night but most as i read it can help BS... and 2 on a Saturday (large with my kebab no pitta! ). Thought it might help with my weight too as don't want to lose any more tbh. But instead of being in the 4s in now in the 5s so from tonight I'm back on water. I understand wine being a tonic for your stess levels though as I had that t shirt until I left the job! Not often possible to do that though :-(

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the wine is the culprit. I've been on LCHF since 8 Dec. Readings coming down...until I introduced wine. Instead of my jugs of water 1 glass a night (large) not every night but most as i read it can help BS... and 2 on a Saturday (large with my kebab no pitta! ). Thought it might help with my weight too as don't want to lose any more tbh. But instead of being in the 4s in now in the 5s so from tonight I'm back on water. I understand wine being a tonic for your stess levels though as I had that t shirt until I left the job! Not often possible to do that though :-(

Lucky you could leave the job! I wish that was an option. For now I will keep chugging chamomile tea and stay away from the wine and see what happens. I had been in the 6’s at first so am def not happy with where it’s headed.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you could leave the job! I wish that was an option. For now I will keep chugging chamomile tea and stay away from the wine and see what happens. I had been in the 6’s at first so am def not happy with where it’s headed.
All you need is a slight change. You are doing really well and on it! Just try no wine for about 3 days as a test to see if it goes down (your food seems perfect to me) that's what I'm doing too! I'm going to treat myself on Saturday though!! Try not to eat afyer 6pm. Leave it as late as possible for breakfast. Have a read about intermittent fasting and see if it's for you. I do skip breaky now and again and it helps lower readings. Also if you can have a walk after eating (where possible). It tends to help lower BS.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All you need is a slight change. You are doing really well and on it! Just try no wine for about 3 days as a test to see if it goes down (your food seems perfect to me) that's what I'm doing too! I'm going to treat myself on Saturday though!! Try not to eat afyer 6pm. Leave it as late as possible for breakfast. Have a read about intermittent fasting and see if it's for you. I do skip breaky now and again and it helps lower readings. Also if you can have a walk after eating (where possible). It tends to help lower BS.

I am typically eating dinner about 5. I tried skipping breakfast this morning and the BG went up further. ☹️ now am afraid of fasting. I have been walking about 2 miles each day but sometimes that makes the BG go up as well. But sometimes it goes down. Trying to get the timing right! Not a straightforward disease, I am finding. On the bright side I’m not where I started which was 21!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am typically eating dinner about 5. I tried skipping breakfast this morning and the BG went up further. ☹️ now am afraid of fasting. I have been walking about 2 miles each day but sometimes that makes the BG go up as well. But sometimes it goes down. Trying to get the timing right! Not a straightforward disease, I am finding. On the bright side I’m not where I started which was 21!
Ok that sounds good. When do you test? I would test on waking. Then before breakfast and 2 hours after. Same with lunch and dinner. You are aiming for a rise of no less than 2 points. If it's higher then I believe carbs are the culprit. I usually test before bed too (I'm obsessed to testing I'm thinking!!! Costibg a fortune but it wont be forever, just til I get my head around everything and how different foods and combinations effect me)

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s how often I test as well. Sometimes before and after exercise too just to see what’s going on. Hopefully things will settle and I can reduce at some point but I don’t see that happening for a while. I try to limit my carbs to about 20 g or less per day. 2 cups greens 1 cup above ground veg. I am not weighing things yet but I did figure out how many carbs per 100 g veg on what I eat so that helps me gauge. Recent rise has to be the wine. View attachment 26592That’s my list of options.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s how often I test as well. Sometimes before and after exercise too just to see what’s going on. Hopefully things will settle and I can reduce at some point but I don’t see that happening for a while. I try to limit my carbs to about 20 g or less per day. 2 cups greens 1 cup above ground veg. I am not weighing things yet but I did figure out how many carbs per 100 g veg on what I eat so that helps me gauge. Recent rise has to be the wine.View attachment 26591. That’s my list of options.
I'm reckoning so. See how you go on over the next few days. Any chance work will get less stressful?

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Likely not in the short run but I’m trying to make the best of it.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are welcome, not sure how useful it is, there are far more knowledgeable people on the daily excercise thread.
I walk almost every day, and the excercises are an attempt to excercise the rest of me. Re your second question, how does it help with with BG; if i dont excercise for a few days my fasting BG will sneek up to approx 6.4 , and my daily average also around 6.2( 2 hours post meal). So about 0.7 mmol/L decrease with the excercise. There is probably a longer term effect also, if you loose weight, gain some muscle....that sort of thing.

Hi Canvaspic,,
How are you feeling on this day, as good as you expect to be, I hope?

Well I have done parts of your routine the last 2 days and this morning my BGL's were, 8.7 so I found them a bit tiring, but doable, so again thank you! Stemar, (Downunder)

Last edited:

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you all feeling on this day , as good as you expect to be I hope?

Well my BGL's this morning at 05.30 hrs were 8.7, which for me at this time is about normal, but now with a weights routine and walking again, I hope to see some improvement in a few weeks, hopefully!

Last edited:

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you all feeling on this day , as good as you expect to be I hope?

Well after 2 days of routine workout my BGL's this morning were 8.7 at 05.00 hrs, hopefully they will decrease with this routine as long as I keep it up, but that's up to my commitment though!