Retail Therapy Ideas?

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh good they arrived safely then. I told you DHL are reliable - you could have sent me a PM to say you had them! Did the courier have to leave them in the wheelie bin or were you back from the clinic in time? Was the leather one the right colour?

Haha! Yes they were all lovely, thanks. The leopard print and the red leather are my favourites.

I was going to get around to letting you know they arrived but, as you can imagine, I've spent all day in front of the mirror working out matching accessories etc.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was going to get around to letting you know they arrived but, as you can imagine, I've spent all day in front of the mirror working out matching accessories etc.
Well now I know you like the leather one I can send the shoes that match. I've had shoe stretchers in them all day.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my sister's charity shop

try here for your flares! You'd be surprised! Believe it or not, they (flared jeans, that is) often turn up amongst the clothing rails, both male and female. And they shouldn't blow your retail budget completely. Plus, you can always re-donate them when you reach your sylph-like target and they no longer fit. :angelic:

I love browsing around junk shops, or second-hand places of all sorts of random items, in fact, anywhere that has a lot of what I call 'nicky, nacky, noo' "things" for sale. Believe it or not, you can find some great bargains in places you least expect to find them.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
try here for your flares! You'd be surprised! Believe it or not, they (flared jeans, that is) often turn up amongst the clothing rails, both male and female. And they shouldn't blow your retail budget completely. Plus, you can always re-donate them when you reach your sylph-like target and they no longer fit. :angelic:

I love browsing around junk shops, or second-hand places of all sorts of random items, in fact, anywhere that has a lot of what I call 'nicky, nacky, noo' "things" for sale. Believe it or not, you can find some great bargains in places you least expect to find them.

That's a good point, I need to ask my sister to look out for flares. I think I did a very long time ago but she's probably forgotten by now!

Yes I love junk shops. I can't believe I haven't visited one for such a long time.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you are a foodie or a keen cook how about a top of the range knife set? Before dx I had family club together to get me a set of Wusthof knives (then hammered the family for a set of Le Creuset saucepans!). I cannot recommend these highly enough, they are an investment.

Reactions: AdamJames

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Can be expensive though and Im not a millionair!
Odorant is definitely on the cards, lord knows I need it.

I only started getting posh odorants recently, and only because they sometimes come into my sister's charity shop and she started persuading me that they may be a good idea!

Look out for any aftershaves / perfumes still packaged and not used (obviously!) as they could be worth a fair amount. If they are before 2008 they can include ingredients such as oak moss and others that are now banned. Old formula scents before 2008 ( can go for a £2 or £300 (maybe more if a discontinued aftershave..)

Worth knowing..

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a foodie or a keen cook how about a top of the range knife set? Before dx I had family club together to get me a set of Wusthof knives (then hammered the family for a set of Le Creuset saucepans!). I cannot recommend these highly enough, they are an investment.

I'm not a foodie but it's something I'd like to be. I'd find it hard to justify more knives right now, but then I suppose not feeling the need to justify things is a big part of retail therapy!

I do love knives but generally the outdoor sort. I did go through a phase of using a huge "Leuku" knife for kitchen use. Apparently the Sami / reindeer herders used them for everything, from building shelters to preparing food, so I thought I'd try it out in the kitchen. It was very cumbersome compared to a kitchen knife but was a lot of fun.

I don't know why but I'm thinking some sort of quality thing that does routine domestic chores is along the right lines however. Maybe I thought of something recently and it's slipped my mind.

Reactions: Guzzler

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
steak and eggs.

I've just got back from Aldi and I bought some belly pork. I also have eggs. Does that count?

Top tip to whom it may concern: Aldi's belly pork is now even cheaper - reduced from about 2.25 to 1.99.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can be expensive though and Im not a millionair!

Look out for any aftershaves / perfumes still packaged and not used (obviously!) as they could be worth a fair amount. If they are before 2008 they can include ingredients such as oak moss and others that are now banned. Old formula scents before 2008 ( can go for a £2 or £300 (maybe more if a discontinued aftershave..)

Worth knowing..

Definitely worth knowing! How frustrating - the last lot was indeed in a boxed set of 3, apparently unused, and I've already slung the box and started using them. I'll do some research next time I get hold of some.

Hotpepper20000

I've just got back from Aldi and I bought some belly pork. I also have eggs. Does that count?

Top tip to whom it may concern: Aldi's belly pork is now even cheaper - reduced from about 2.25 to 1.99.
I’ve never had pork belly and eggs. Let me know how it is.
Nothing like a good steak and a egg on top. And when you cut into the yolk it runs over the meat.:hungry::hungry::hungry:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it wrong to want a corduroy jacket?

I'm thinking a rich deep brown or green. Ideally with patches on the elbows.

Could work well with a pair of flairs as well.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having gone down 3 sizes in the last year, it was getting expensive buying smaller clothes, so aswell as taking my old ones to the charity shops I’ve also picked up a few bargains from them in smaller sizes too :happy: I also like a long soak in the bath with a bath bomb from Lush :)

Reactions: AdamJames

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooooooh, that's top of my list so far. It seems so obvious with hindsight!

Slightly out of my price range, but I'm sure everyone will be more than happy to have a whip-round to help my dreams come true.

Crowdfund it after taking out life insurance.
You might only need to pay one installment before you plummet into a field. The insurance will pay your 'investors' back. They might even make a small profit.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well normally when I do Retail Therapy it involves buying gadgets, but it seems there's a definite trend here for the clothing / personal grooming route and I might be persuaded.

I could get some scented candles, have a long candle-lit soak in a bath with a Lush Bath Bomb (never heard of bath bombs, thanks @Rachox), then slowly towel my lovely glistening body down with an Egyptian Cotton Bath Towel, odorise myself with a prohibitively expensive Custom Made Scent, then squeeze myself majestically into @bulkbiker's Secondhand Bedazzled Jeans- no! God no! I mean the new pair of flairs I'll buy from eBay.

Either that or buy an electric-powered cooler box I can plug into the car.

I still haven't decided. Does anyone else take so long deliberating how they are going to do Retail Therapy that the urge fizzles out before they do it? That hasn't happened yet but I feel the clock is ticking.

Reactions: Rachox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having gone down 3 sizes in the last year, it was getting expensive buying smaller clothes, so aswell as taking my old ones to the charity shops I’ve also picked up a few bargains from them in smaller sizes too :happy: I also like a long soak in the bath with a bath bomb from Lush :)

For a little while, when I was taking things to the charity shop, I was finding Jaeger jackets and Diane von Furstenberg dresses. Needless to say I both donated and donated, if you know what I mean. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well normally when I do Retail Therapy it involves buying gadgets, but it seems there's a definite trend here for the clothing / personal grooming route and I might be persuaded.

I could get some scented candles, have a long candle-lit soak in a bath with a Lush Bath Bomb (never heard of bath bombs, thanks @Rachox), then slowly towel my lovely glistening body down with an Egyptian Cotton Bath Towel, odorise myself with a prohibitively expensive Custom Made Scent, then squeeze myself majestically into @bulkbiker's Secondhand Bedazzled Jeans- no! God no! I mean the new pair of flairs I'll buy from eBay.

Either that or buy an electric-powered cooler box I can plug into the car.

I still haven't decided. Does anyone else take so long deliberating how they are going to do Retail Therapy that the urge fizzles out before they do it? That hasn't happened yet but I feel the clock is ticking.

My OH calls my retail style "circle, circle, circle,............ SWOOP!"

Reactions: EllieM

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @AdamJames so glad to see you being a bit lighthearted since the beginning of your initial post:) Made me realize that things have become a bit of drudgery for me as well and I need some Retail Therapy - so thank you - the Hubby won't thank you though!!

My birthday is this coming week and so a perfect time to go shopping! I am going to head to our bookstore and get a new journal, new colored pens and get organized for recording my stats re: diabetes management. Oh, and some gold stars so that when I reach a particular goal, I can reward myself with a gold star, or two depending on the goal.

I know it is diabetes related, but it is fun to use the different colors for my wt, B/P, BGs Carbs, etc.......I'm not ready for flares, but, I did get myself some pinstripped summer capris - something I haven't worn for about 30years!! I was finally brave enough to wear something other than "solid color" bottoms:) Cheers/L