Keto - no weight loss

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1 egg and 1 strip of short cut bacon for breaky. 300 gms tuna on lettuce for lunch. Red/white meat with colliflour or broccoli peas amd zucchini or zuccini spirals with fish or mince meat for dinner. 3 cups of tea through the day. 8 gms of dehydrated zuccini fir afternooon snack
Desert is zero carb zero sugar zero cal jelly 130 mls.
Avetage 2 1/2 lts water

I used to have 2 cups of coffee 4 x toast and vegimite for breaky
1 sandwich multiple fillings in summer and 1 pie or sausage roll for lunch.
Dinner was 1 bowle of rice or pasta with multiple fillings.
Desert was ice cream and fruit.
Heavy spattering of cheese throught the day. Sometimes a midnight of cheese on bread.
Monday was fish and chip night.
5 lts minimum of water
And still Hungry.
What you are now eating looks ok but not much fat..as I said before I'm a bit worried you are slowing your metabolism which as the "Biggest Loser" study shows is not a great thing to be doing. Be careful.

BundyBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BundyBob - As @bulkbiker suggests you are skirting with your metabolism slowing down. For some, when this hapens it doesn't recover, meaning longer term they are unable to eat much and their ability to rereduce weight is significantly impacted too.

There are several people on this site, mainly, but not all women, for whom this has become an issue.
I will keep an eye out. What would be the signs?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also as far as weight loss, i still have 20 more kgs to go yo my target weight of 85 kgs

It doesn't matter a jot whether you are skinny, near skinny or more generously proportioned, starvation has the potential to damange the metabolism.

P

pollensa

Hi there

I did a trial in keto a couple of months ago, but I wasn't very successful.

I didn't calculate any macros, I simply kicked out anything grain based, sugars and fruit. I mainly ate eggs, meat and fish, and some veggies (but not a lot). I did drink alcohol in the weekend while I was on the diet. I also didn't count calories.

I did loose a couple of pounds, but quickly plateaued. My weight loss wasn't anything even close to what other people report they are loosing.

Any tips?

P.S. I don't have diabetes, just trying to loose weight
One question if I may, as you did not mention if your doing all or any daily exercise? This may be the problem if not???

I am on Keto low carb, and basically kicked the items as yourself, the difference I jump on the tread mill for 10 mins after breakie, lunch dinner to burn off any foods I eat, if you dont have tread dont worry take a brisk walk, I ensure to do min 5klm up to 9klm walking depending on time commitments daily, without fail, so bascially, the keto low carb diet and exercise 3 days intermittent fasting i.e. 2 morning no breakfast only black coffee, one day no breakfast or lunch, result is have lost 24 kilos in 11 months, 23 cm off my waist and feeling so fit and healthy.

It may be you are excercising, perhaps you need to add just a little more, as only diet change will not get rid of weight as I understand unless its combined with exercise, and one small trick of the trade, eat only airline portion size of food is great help.

Hope this assists in some way?

BundyBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn't matter a jot whether you are skinny, near skinny or more generously proportioned, starvation has the potential to damange the metabolism.
Thank you for the advice.
A bit more info for you.
I have spinal damage at l4/l5.
I am on high doses of morphine and don't have a great deal of control down there.
For the past 20 years my gp has been trying to get my weight down.
A lot has improved since my diabetic diagnosis.
The first is my weight loss.
My first 2 weeks I was on zero carbs and I lost 5 kgs. Mostly water weight as i was always thirsty.
My constapation got worse as I lost my entire fibre input. This stabilised the following week and am regular for me again.
I have little ability to exercise but manage my 1000 steps a day.
I now have more energy since hitting ketosis. I woke up one morning and the energy levels have stayed high.
I am having fun trying new recipes.
Except for the morning spike in bgl i was level all day. This was solvef by having cream in my morning coffee.
Thank you all.

P

pollensa

Nope that's not correct for me at least ..50kg gone with no extra exercise..
Well done, I was speaking generally for most, and people I know who have found some struggles along the way as average to get the weight off no exercise, so...your very lucky as it seems your metabalism has done you well, wish I had the same, so well done and congratulations!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
as only diet change will not get rid of weight as I understand unless its combined with exercise,

Similar to what @bulkbiker says. I lost 33% of my body weight and have normal blood sugars etc. No additional exercise. I walk my dog twice a day, but always have done. I do housework etc but always have done. No disputing that exercise is good for us, but it isn't essential in the weight loss game.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my view, @BundyBob , exercise is the icing on the cake of any weight loss programme, if anyone want to do it, but to quoye Dr Aseem Malhotra, "You can't outrun a bad diet". I firmly believe that. For myself, I'm quite an active person, but I'm not a gym bunny for sure.

I haver no challenge whatsoever with your choice to be keto. I'm LC sometimes and probably keto the rest, although ketosis haas never been a particular marker for me. Where my challenge is is your proposal to love on c500 calories a day for any length of time. That's it, quite simply. At that level, you may well be beautifully fat adapted, but mu concern would be that you are also metabolising your own muscle.

If you are using body analyser scales you could gain a bit of an insight there, but probably not definitively so.

Peterseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The wife and I were both on LCHF way of eating but lost very little and I drifted between 100 - 95 /98 for months

My BG on rising was 6/7 so Dr suggested Optislim and we started last Wednesday so a week tomorrow

Looks like I have moved from 98 to 95 k but BG on rising is now 5 - 5.4. So that looks good to me

Am on metformin and a truckload of drugs for my heart , cholesterol and blood pressure

Have a nice day

Peter