What’s your hardest struggle with diabetes?

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here, mine is often entirely unpredictable, for instance yesterday I had pasta bake for lunch and a twirl, followed by a brisk 20 min walk round town (I work virtually in the middle of Marlow town centre), my sugar levels went up to about 13-14 for a number of hours til they started coming down at a fair old rate at about 4ish (y'know just before I'm getting ready to drive home - not helpful!), today, ate exactly the same things* and again went on a brisk walk around Marlow again, and it hasn't risen above 7.

So yeah the unpredictability for me is the worst, sometimes the insulin kicks in quickly, other times it takes its stinking time.

* I tend to batch cook my meals for lunch cos it means less cooking, less washing up and less effort :)

Ooohhh Marlow is so pretty- when I win the lottery I will buy a nice house there.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps you could stake out the houses in your break, break in and squat in a vacant one. I will assist if needed lol

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Same here, mine is often entirely unpredictable, for instance yesterday I had pasta bake for lunch and a twirl, followed by a brisk 20 min walk round town (I work virtually in the middle of Marlow town centre), my sugar levels went up to about 13-14 for a number of hours til they started coming down at a fair old rate at about 4ish (y'know just before I'm getting ready to drive home - not helpful!), today, ate exactly the same things* and again went on a brisk walk around Marlow again, and it hasn't risen above 7.

So yeah the unpredictability for me is the worst, sometimes the insulin kicks in quickly, other times it takes its stinking time.

* I tend to batch cook my meals for lunch cos it means less cooking, less washing up and less effort :)
And then you face the anxiety that the "experiment" will turn out the same as the previous day.

Reactions: flexi06

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Ooohhh Marlow is so pretty- when I win the lottery I will buy a nice house there.
Even in my post stag-night state on the morning of my brother's wedding, while standing east of the parish church, I think on a jetty, bridge or something (in 1986!) over the Thames, I was struck by its beauty.

P

pollensa

My desire for bread...
View attachment 26664
I can relate to this, nothing better than slice lovely bread, vintage cheese and glass of red vino, what a combination, always a solution for all, look at www.dietdoctor.com. I make the super keto low carb mediterranean flat bread, made with coconut flour, pysillium husks no carb, rosemary, olive oil and parmesaen cheese, wow, its fantastic and so low carb to enjoy when the craving of bread kicks in. Make a big batch, stick it in the freezer, and take out as and when you want, I pop into toaster mornings and top with avocado and tomato, black pepper, so delicous, an great to mop up any sauces too....so happy cooking in the kitchen with Keto med flatbread.

Hope this helps when that desire kicks in...really you want to go back to normal bread again.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My hardest struggle is just being T1D and then saying "sod it" and getting on with life

Reactions: mountaintom
P

pollensa

[/QUOTE]
POST BELOW REFERS TO QUESTION WHAT IS MOST DIFFICULT STRUGGLE DIABETES.

Although previously gave post on issue question, frustration for lack of transparency in the system, re previous post question "most difficult struggle with diabetes",and lack of more indepth information presented by doctors time of diagnosis to gain a better picture of Diabetes 2 overall lacking. I add to this post if I may, simply as I saw the other day, a debate about the "system" i.e. referring to variations worldwide of cut offs, some members quoted various cut off levels, which I am sure were in a care and good will way by showing information to allow us all on the site to gain more knowledge, that perhaps many are unaware of, as some of us out there, whether your in UK or any other country may be under the impression, that all cut offs thresholds are actually the same worldwide, unfortunately with current system, thats not the case, so to see members, take the time effort to display differences was greatly welcomed by myself anyway, for whats thats worth, i cannot speak for others, as the general help info/chat that took place, was interconnected with my own frustration of the current system of variations worldwide.

Regards frustration lack of transparency and information, I take the liberty to ask anyone are you in a position out there, you are from one country, yet residing another, where variations cut offs thresholds exist, between the two countries, that may cause anxiety, worry, bewilderment, and doubt, due to such system in place that can affect a person overall?

Unfortunately, I am one of those people, a "victim" of the diabetes system of variations. My story which may assist, allow others gain knowledge if only of interest only, to put into perspective and how welcoming the other day, others showed the differences of other countries, as it can affect may, so thank you for that, I explain. British, yet resided years Australia/new Zealand, now resident Mallorca. Initially although diagnosed Diabetes 2 in Mallorca, lab A1C results turned out discordant finally, error typographical result, thankfully demands by myself, for 2nd test, not without great difficulties I might add resulted in lower results, in Spain still labelled diabetic, yet in New Zealand and other countries viewed Pre diabetic. Big difference between diabetes 2 and pre Yes or No? Although that is the better news, the not so good news is the system situation due to countries differences of variations i.e.

A1C result of 6.5% in spain diagnoses Diabetes, metformin, v. New Zealand A1C 6.5% diagnoses pre Diabetic, no medications, lifestyle change, diet, monitory and further test 6 months using a pragmatic approach as their cut off for diagnosis is 6.7% 50mmol/mmol equal to or above, with symptoms, and if two separate tests show on or above 50mmol/mol.

Here we have the same A1C result of 6.5% my case, viewed differently two countries. That does not help the recipient of results inbetween, and one becomes a victim of the current variations existing regards diabetes diagnosing.

Ultimately, this example indicates "it depends where one resides time of being diagnosed" at the end of the day, not a comfortable, position to be in and frustrated as one could imagine.

This situation should not be existing its appalling and deplorable, that the Diabetes Industry allows a person any person, to be in such a situation.

Yes, I agree, I am residing in Spain, as such, bad luck for myself, that their cut offs differ to new Zealand, today I am viewed diabetic, yet if I jump on the plane back home to New Zealand overnight, I become pre diabetic. Who is right, spain or New Zealand, both is the reply, neither are wrong, Spain following its criterias of diagnosing, as is New Zealand, but that does not help the victim in the middle as ultimately, doubt remains what is the correct cut off, is one to feel they are pre diabetic and or diabetic. Vast difference between the two.

NEW Zealand views Label of Diabetes current a "lifetime" one with many downstream effects, daily life, insurance travel other, drivers licence, employment etc to name a couple, these downstream effects and can also add to unnecessary anxiety on what is normally other good health, their approach is pragmatic they have higher cut offs, I am not saying they are right, but until your a victim of difference of variations caught in the middle of this situation in existance, is cause for frustration, infuriation overall.

What did I do, took sensible approach, put it all together, I respect I reside spain, and as such have to accept and respect I am, labelled on official medical records as diabetic 2, however, I also took the view, that does not mean spain is correct in their cut offs diagnosing, and decided to view myself under New Zealands cut off that my A1C under their criteria was Pre diabetic.

The just of this story, is regards what one finds most difficult re Diabetes, hopefully the within, will indicate, to those out there, who were not aware of vast variations of differences in the system of Diabetes worldwide, of how that can affect a persons situation when diagnosed, and hope the story proves of interest overall. So thank you the other day all who posted, various levels, I related to them all, as you can well imagine.

My personal viewing as to all those who may be between two countries as myself, I am sure you will agree, this situation should be addressed, reviewed and changed, the way I see and and my suggestion box would be to stay such situation in place is for the so called experts, committees who finally decide on cut offs,who allow worldwide variations take place, I ask you all sitting round the round table lowering and changing cut offs, allowed differences variations exist, why dont you under your role responsibilities review and change this to ensure a cut off is chosen for Real Blood finger tests, and A1C, that chosen figure is based on sound, medical and clinical proof of evidence, not assumed what what may or may not happen, but on medical evidence as to why that cut off level is chosen, that final cut off is to be strictly adhered to worldwide in order, that people being diagnosed will not fall under the umbrella of worry, stress anxiety, frustration, infuratiation, that the current Diabetes Industry allows a person to be caught between variations of worldwide diagnosing levels, I ask anyone out there,
how would you feel if the country you reside time of Diagnosed tells you your diabetic, yet your home country states your pre only?

Two countires view same result differently resulting diagnosing and prescribing medications differently, one gives Metformin, the other, lifestyle change first and foremost, I choose the lifestyle change with common sense instincts under the circumstances, thankfully I did.

Story has a good ending, being a victim of differences, two weeks ago, my tests revealed A1C 5% thankfully fell within the category in Spain and New Zealand as non diabetic range. Result of which, spain has and rightfully so, deleted my diabetic records to read non diabetic range.

That does not take away the trauma worry anxiety that has been endured due to variations worldwide. Thank you members for putting forward valued and differences of levels as you pointed out the other day to others, who may not fully understand the importanace of your raising to awareness the importance of sharing your knowledge of differences.

Whats left, the doubt question continues, what is the correct cut off threshold???????

Until the diabetes system changes this, I doubt it will, but there is hope, as you can imagine I have a most sceptical vision of diagnosing cut offs and with regret to say, suspicious overall of the current arbitrary set cut offs whether in ones own counry or worldwide, and how can blame a person in the middle of two countries when diagnosed?

for all those out there, this indicates, if you were not aware, how important it is for everyone to be aware of differences, and how it may affect individuals overall, lets hope one day, the system changes in best interests of Diabetes Industry, doctors, and most importantly those awaiting results to see if they are normal, pre or diabetic, as currently it all depends

"Where one is residing time of diagnosed".

thats my difficulty coping with diabtes......what am I pre or diabetic situation or both???

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Having diabetes for decades has been a struggle lately, I think it's reaching 60 (OAP !) a couple of medical problems and also losing my dear dad that really pushed it home, also the constant planning, injections, testing, etc that has been a bit of a blip, it never stops..................... but I will keep going.

P

pollensa

Frustration the system allows so many variations, and not sufficient more indepth information presented by the medical world, PLUS...

RELATED TO WHAT IS HARDEST STRUGGLE RE DIABETES
Although previously gave post on issue question, frustration for lack of transparency in the system, and lack of more indepth information presented by doctors time of diagnosis to gain a better picture of Diabetes 2 overall lacking. I add to this post if I may, simply as I saw the other day, a debate about the "system" i.e. referring to variations worldwide of cut offs, some members quoted various cut off levels, which I am sure were in a care and good will way by showing information to allow us all on the site to gain more knowledge, that perhaps many are unaware of, as some of us out there, whether your in UK or any other country may be under the impression, that all cut offs thresholds are actually the same worldwide, unfortunately with current system, thats not the case, so to see members, take the time effort to display differences was greatly welcomed by myself anyway, for whats thats worth, i cannot speak for others, as the general help info/chat that took place, was interconnected with my own frustration of the current system of variations worldwide.

Regards frustration lack of transparency and information, I take the liberty to ask anyone are you in a position out there, you are from one country, yet residing another, where variations cut offs thresholds exist, between the two countries, that may cause anxiety, worry, bewilderment, and doubt, due to such system in place that can affect a person overall?

Unfortunately, I am one of those people, a "victim" of the diabetes system of variations. My story which may assist, allow others gain knowledge if only of interest only, to put into perspective and how welcoming the other day, others showed the differences of other countries, as it can affect may, so thank you for that, I explain. British, yet resided years Australia/new Zealand, now resident Mallorca. Initially although diagnosed Diabetes 2 in Mallorca, lab A1C results turned out discordant finally, error typographical result, thankfully demands by myself, for 2nd test, not without great difficulties I might add resulted in lower results, in Spain still labelled diabetic, yet in New Zealand and other countries viewed Pre diabetic. Big difference between diabetes 2 and pre Yes or No? Although that is the better news, the not so good news is the system situation due to countries differences of variations i.e.

A1C result of 6.5% in spain diagnoses Diabetes, metformin, v. New Zealand A1C 6.5% diagnoses pre Diabetic, no medications, lifestyle change, diet, monitoring, further test 6 months using a pragmatic approach as their cut off for diagnosis is 6.7% 50mmol/mmol equal to or above, with symptoms, and if two separate tests show on or above 50mmol/mol.

Here we have the same A1C result of 6.5% my case, viewed differently two countries. That does not help the recipient of results inbetween, and one becomes a victim of the current variations existing regards diabetes diagnosing.

Ultimately, this example indicates "it depends where one resides time of being diagnosed" at the end of the day, not a comfortable, position to be in and frustrated as one could imagine.

This situation should not be existing its appalling and deplorable, that the Diabetes Industry allows a person any person, to be in such a situation.

Yes, I agree, I am residing in Spain, as such, bad luck for myself, that their cut offs differ to new Zealand, today I am viewed diabetic, yet if I jump on the plane back home to New Zealand overnight, I become pre diabetic. Who is right, spain or New Zealand, both is the reply, neither are wrong, Spain following its criterias of diagnosing, as is New Zealand, but that does not help the victim in the middle as ultimately, doubt remains what is the correct cut off, is one to feel they are pre diabetic and or diabetic. Vast difference between the two.

NEW Zealand views Label of Diabetes current a "lifetime" one with many downstream effects, daily life, insurance travel other, drivers licence, employment etc to name a couple, these downstream effects and can also add to unnecessary anxiety on what is normally other good health, their approach is pragmatic they have higher cut offs, I am not saying they are right, but until your a victim of difference of variations caught in the middle of this situation in existance, is cause for frustration, infuriation overall.

What did I do, took sensible approach, put it all together, I respect I reside spain, and as such have to accept and respect I am, labelled on official medical records as diabetic 2, however, I also took the view, that does not mean spain is correct in their cut offs diagnosing, and decided to view myself under New Zealands cut off that my A1C under their criteria was Pre diabetic.

The just of this story, is regards what one finds most difficult re Diabetes, hopefully the within, will indicate, to those out there, who were not aware of vast variations of differences in the system of Diabetes worldwide, of how that can affect a persons situation when diagnosed, and hope the story proves of interest overall. So thank you the other day all who posted, various levels, I related to them all, as you can well imagine.

My personal viewing as to all those who may be between two countries as myself, I am sure you will agree, this situation should be addressed, reviewed and changed, the way I see and and my suggestion box would be to stay such situation in place is for the so called experts, committees who finally decide on cut offs,who allow worldwide variations take place, I ask you all sitting round the round table lowering and changing cut offs, allowed differences variations exist, why dont you under your role responsibilities review and change this to ensure a cut off is chosen for Real Blood finger tests, and A1C, that chosen figure is based on sound, medical and clinical proof of evidence, not assumed what what may or may not happen, but on medical evidence as to why that cut off level is chosen, that final cut off is to be strictly adhered to worldwide in order, that people being diagnosed will not fall under the umbrella of worry, stress anxiety, frustration, infuratiation, that the current Diabetes Industry allows a person to be caught between variations of worldwide diagnosing levels, I ask anyone out there,
how would you feel if the country you reside time of Diagnosed tells you your diabetic, yet your home country states your pre only?

Two countires view same result differently resulting diagnosing and prescribing medications differently, one gives Metformin, the other, lifestyle change first and foremost, I choose the lifestyle change with common sense instincts under the circumstances, thankfully I did.

Story has a good ending, being a victim of differences, two weeks ago, my tests revealed A1C 5% thankfully fell within the category in Spain and New Zealand as non diabetic range. Result of which, spain has and rightfully so, deleted my diabetic records to read non diabetic range.

That does not take away the trauma worry anxiety that has been endured due to variations worldwide. Thank you members for putting forward valued and differences of levels as you pointed out the other day to others, who may not fully understand the importanace of your raising to awareness the importance of sharing your knowledge of differences.

Whats left, the doubt question continues, what is the correct cut off threshold???????

Until the diabetes system changes this, I doubt it will, but there is hope, as you can imagine I have a most sceptical vision of diagnosing cut offs and with regret to say, suspicious overall of the current arbitrary set cut offs whether in ones own counry or worldwide, and how can blame a person in the middle of two countries when diagnosed?

for all those out there, this indicates, if you were not aware, how important it is for everyone to be aware of differences, and how it may affect individuals overall, lets hope one day, the system changes in best interests of Diabetes Industry, doctors, and most importantly those awaiting results to see if they are normal, pre or diabetic, as currently it all depends

thats my difficulty coping with diabtes......what am I pre or diabetic situation or both???
This post in avoidance of doubt as relating to question

P

pollensa

Share your answer
Sorry if this post is repeated, for some strange reason this was an "added" post on top of a previous I made, and it seems not to shown? even though pressed post reply, so apologies, if its a repeat as it is rather long missive post, having said that hope contents within prove of some valuable or gained knowledge overall, in case one has a similar situation, I would not wish that on anyone, it may assist in persons own experience under the current diabetes system overall.

Although previously gave post on issue question, frustration for lack of transparency in the system, re previous post question "most difficult struggle with diabetes",and lack of more indepth information presented by doctors time of diagnosis to gain a better picture of Diabetes 2 overall lacking. I add to this post if I may, simply as I saw the other day, a debate about the "system" i.e. referring to variations worldwide of cut offs, some members quoted various cut off levels, which I am sure were in a care and good will way by showing information to allow us all on the site to gain more knowledge, that perhaps many are unaware of, as some of us out there, whether your in UK or any other country may be under the impression, that all cut offs thresholds are actually the same worldwide, unfortunately with current system, thats not the case, so to see members, take the time effort to display differences was greatly welcomed by myself anyway, for whats thats worth, i cannot speak for others, as the general help info/chat that took place, was interconnected with my own frustration of the current system of variations worldwide.

A1C result of 6.5% in spain diagnoses Diabetes, metformin, v. New Zealand A1C 6.5% diagnoses pre Diabetic, no medications, lifestyle change, diet, monitoring, and further test 6 months using a pragmatic approach as their cut off for diagnosis is 6.7% 50mmol/mmol equal to or above, with symptoms, and if two separate tests show on or above 50mmol/mol.

for all those out there, this indicates, if you were not aware, how important it is for everyone to be aware of world variation differences, and how it may affect individuals overall, after all it may be yourself out there, lets hope one day, the system changes in best interests of Diabetes Industry, doctors, and most importantly those awaiting results to see if they are normal, pre or diabetic, as currently it all depends

Thats my difficulty struggling coping with diabetes explained, .....what am I ? pre or diabetic situation or both??? at the moment, normal non diabetic range officially on medical records, but who knows in the future in the hands of the system.

Thank you all for cut off info the other day, warranted and very important information, and I hope others out there are not a victim inbetween two countries.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if this post is repeated, for some strange reason this was an "added" post on top of a previous I made, and it seems not to shown? even though pressed post reply, so apologies, if its a repeat as it is rather long missive post, having said that hope contents within prove of some valuable or gained knowledge overall, in case one has a similar situation, I would not wish that on anyone, it may assist in persons own experience under the current diabetes system overall.

A1C result of 6.5% in spain diagnoses Diabetes, metformin, v. New Zealand A1C 6.5% diagnoses pre Diabetic, no medications, lifestyle change, diet, monitoring, and further test 6 months using a pragmatic approach as their cut off for diagnosis is 6.7% 50mmol/mmol equal to or above, with symptoms, and if two separate tests show on or above 50mmol/mol.

for all those out there, this indicates, if you were not aware, how important it is for everyone to be aware of world variation differences, and how it may affect individuals overall, after all it may be yourself out there, lets hope one day, the system changes in best interests of Diabetes Industry, doctors, and most importantly those awaiting results to see if they are normal, pre or diabetic, as currently it all depends

Thats my difficulty struggling coping with diabetes explained, .....what am I ? pre or diabetic situation or both??? at the moment, normal non diabetic range officially on medical records, but who knows in the future in the hands of the system.

Thank you all for cut off info the other day, warranted and very important information, and I hope others out there are not a victim inbetween two countries.
Why does it matter so much to you? If you are close to the edge of a cliff you know what to do, move back to a safe distance. If you want to be sure you are below official prediabetic levels use the lowest level and aim for that.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Do you accept positive contributions from down under? With 51 years on insulin there could be plenty of negatives to throw in BUT: I have fluked only a minor set of complications so far: cataracts, carpal tunnel syndromes L and R and some trigger fingers.
I have had a better diet than most of my peers over the years, been more pro-active about my health than them, done some crazy-stupid things like going on 7 day canoe trips through wilderness and proved that planning ahead works, and as a doctor )now retired) I have been able (i think and hope) to understand what it is like for patients to be diabetic or unwell in some other condition and, perhaps because of my own experience, I have advocated more strongly for them than many of my past colleagues ever did.
The above may all be a load of cobblers but it beats the alternative.

P

pollensa

Why does it matter so much to you? If you are close to the edge of a cliff you know what to do, move back to a safe distance. If you want to be sure you are below official prediabetic levels use the lowest level and aim for that.
Dear Mr Pot,
Thank you for comments, noted therein. In case there may be misunderstanding, may I enquire as an example,

"if you from South Africa, yet are resident in England time of your A1C the result diagnoses you in England as Diabetes 2, such decision you have to respect and accept for the fact you are residing in England at the time, yet, if you fly home to South Africa, or even continuing residing in England, the same A1C test in your home country views and diagnoses you Pre diabetes rather than Diabetes 2, what would your reaction be in such a situation? just a question no more or less for curiosity.

wishing you a nice day.