1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What’s your hardest struggle with diabetes?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by luv2spin, May 19, 2018.

1. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've explored the avenues you can since otherwise things are fairly flat. I thought I was really sensitive with a low basal requirement and 1u capable of dropping me up to 5.7 depending on the time of day. When I account for 'planned exercise' as it's called I am able to drop a good percentage of my bolus doses.

Hope your high is on the way down. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. jlarsson

jlarsson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You could probably argue for just about any of the effects it has on you, but sleep has probably done the most damage to me over the years. All those days of not being able to fall asleep due to crazy heartbeat, sweating and so on, or waking up in the middle of the night that way, or waking up when you're supposed to but feeling like you never fell asleep at all, or when you don't wake up when you're supposed to despite the alarm because of a severe hypo or whatever. Yeah, sleep for me, I think.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Smallbrit

Smallbrit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Stupid mornings at the moment. Because going to bed with a level of 6.2 and by the time I've got up and ready and walked kids to school and got to work and then made breakfast I'm at 10.5 is no fun.

I do know the theory and I do know the eat immediately you wake up and I have managed slightly better in the past. Just two kids and a cat on medication and life doesn't work that way. I'd really like to know what my body is thinking, because the same thing happens in the mornings if I've eaten a few chocolate digestives at bedtime and gone to bed with levels of 13. And I know which one I'd rather do... ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #23 Smallbrit, May 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  4. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try earl grey tea for the menopausal symptoms it helped me a great deal, I felt human again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. pollensa

pollensa · Guest

why dont you simply take your own low carb snacks in your bag, when sitting have a lovely coffee, I always take my seed crackers to a restaurant as do not eat bread, and I explain to the waiter why, and they are absolutely fine about it, so problem solved

6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Pollensa, that’s exactly what I do now!

7. pollensa

pollensa · Guest

Frustration the system allows so many variations, and not sufficient more indepth information presented by the medical world,
    Great to hear, your doing the same as my little "tip", as you did not mention you actually take along your own goodies, so nice to hear your doing this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. flexi06

flexi06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Ann1982 I don’t think I like it but I’m willing to give it a try, ( I got used to green tea after forcing myself to drink it) do you know the reasons behind it? How many cups a day

• Like Like x 1
  9. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My hardest struggle is the overwhelming feeling that I'm never winning!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. rom35

rom35 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My desire for bread...
    IMG_3320.jpg

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. TonyHancock

TonyHancock Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I struggled with bread, crackers (for cheese) and a breakfast cereal replacement.........until this week. I have not been one to follow lo carb recipes for replacements until I followed a couple of links from here and really enjoyed coconut porridge, low carb garlic bread and the crackers made from seeds, almond flour and coconut oil. I have really enjoyed them, not sure why I thought I wouldn't.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For me, and this has only been in the last two to three years of nearly twenty, has been the mild hypochondria brought on by the slight worsening of my retinopathy......

The hypochondria now subsided after being looked at again and again and insisting that the eye doctor explains in details what's going on....

I am quite overweight I would say and although I don't blame the insulin for it, I do believe its not helping me.....this isn't a struggle though, its just what it is......im still generally healthy....I can run about with the kids, hike up hills, so life's good..

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The constant effort required to maintain good control and unpredictability. I find even a good day takes effort and a bad day the same effort but with worse consequences following a low or high blood sugar!
    That said, my HbA1c is the best it’s ever been and I feel so much more in control so if I was asked this question years ago I would have said control in general.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just took a couple of cups a day it apparently has something to do with the bergamot in it but fortunately I liked it anyway

• Like Like x 2
  15. vanillapie

vanillapie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

For me it's finding foods that have the familiar crunch and crackle of things like crisps, chips, a baguette etc... I'm a very sensory eater and these are things I miss the most! Lots of nice substitutes, but nothing has quite matched up to it yet.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Pocketfullofroses

Pocketfullofroses Type 1 · Newbie

Ignorant people recommending faith healers and weight loss surgery.
    Honestly Heck off I already have it tough with my illness, I dont need judgement on top of it.
    Also I have t1 and weight loss cant cure it anyway

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep mine is doing guesstimates for carb calculations I tend to use Carbs and cals alot when i eat out, however it's not a guarantee I can get the calculation right as the foods might look similar but the carb values can be different and then getting it wrong and paying the price with corrections for hours afterwards..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here, mine is often entirely unpredictable, for instance yesterday I had pasta bake for lunch and a twirl, followed by a brisk 20 min walk round town (I work virtually in the middle of Marlow town centre), my sugar levels went up to about 13-14 for a number of hours til they started coming down at a fair old rate at about 4ish (y'know just before I'm getting ready to drive home - not helpful!), today, ate exactly the same things* and again went on a brisk walk around Marlow again, and it hasn't risen above 7.

So yeah the unpredictability for me is the worst, sometimes the insulin kicks in quickly, other times it takes its stinking time.

* I tend to batch cook my meals for lunch cos it means less cooking, less washing up and less effort :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. Allanmax

Allanmax Type 2 · Active Member

Agree with Mr pot. I've only been diagnosed type 2 less then eight weeks, I felt hard done to and annoyed at times but after reading what some of you people have to go through day after day I, ve really got nothing to moan about. So like Mr pots you have my fullest sympathy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dinet

Dinet Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

what is a DN?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook