Interesting for me and your advise needed

Peterseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
G’day Everybody - I am very new at this T2 thing and GP put me on metformin- one more medication to add to the heap I need for GOPD and heart problems
I am a little tubby and with the wife ate the LCHF way but I moved from 110k to 95 k and them for ages drifted between 95 and 98 no matter what I do
The wife cooks all our meals except for maybe once every couple of months when we go out for a meal but even then it’s guarded

Finally GP suggested Optislim so I started last Wednesday and so far the change is interesting I have lost 2.5 k must better is my BG

Usually I was in 6/7 first out of bed but this morning I was just 4.5 and this evening before dinner 4.4

Will take a reading around 8 pm and let you know later

What concerns me is how we move back to LCHF and not regain all the weight I intend to lose over the next eleven weeks on Optislim when I expect to weigh 70 k

Would value the way you did it

Have a beaut day

Kind regards

Peter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost all my weight by eating very low carb and skipping breakfast.
Blood sugars normalised and no meds.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Peterseaford welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 for her info and welcome pack. Looking at what you have put, you and your wife went on LCHF and lost weight. Why do you think if you start LCHF again you will gain weight? Your Bg seem ok. What is your HbA1c? Do you fast on LCHF? Only answer what you feel comfortable with. Try taking a BG when you start a meal and then again 2hours later to see the difference this will help with meal control.
I personally do LCHF. Fast 18/6, no food after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, only having black tea or coffee, water or vitamin water as needed during fast. I also limit my carbs to 15 - 20% per day I test BG after 12 hours and again after 18 hours. Good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask. :)

Reactions: lindijanice

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you know that amount of carbs you can eat to lose weight and the amount to maintain then you are in charge - it is not a one size fits all diet but a way of eating for weight control.
Have you got a copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution?
It is the only way of eating I have come across which covers all aspects from forcing weightloss on the resistant metabolism to maintaining weight when at goal - even advice on not regaining it afterwards, so it is a fairly rare item in the world of dieting.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost all my excess weight by eating low carb. Once I reached target weight I lowered my carbs even more to help the blood sugars, and increased my fats and protein bit by bit until I found the right balance and stabilised my weight. That was in 2014. My weight is still stable.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi you have posted this in the low carb diet section but you are doing a low cal shake diet.

There is a section on the forum for low cal diets in the food and nutrition area, the most popular at the moment being the Newcastle diet. You might want to discuss your concerns about going back to normal eating with others doing similar low cal shake diets or get this post moved there by asking a moderator.

P

pollensa

G’day Everybody - I am very new at this T2 thing and GP put me on metformin- one more medication to add to the heap I need for GOPD and heart problems
I am a little tubby and with the wife ate the LCHF way but I moved from 110k to 95 k and them for ages drifted between 95 and 98 no matter what I do
The wife cooks all our meals except for maybe once every couple of months when we go out for a meal but even then it’s guarded

Finally GP suggested Optislim so I started last Wednesday and so far the change is interesting I have lost 2.5 k must better is my BG

Usually I was in 6/7 first out of bed but this morning I was just 4.5 and this evening before dinner 4.4

Will take a reading around 8 pm and let you know later

What concerns me is how we move back to LCHF and not regain all the weight I intend to lose over the next eleven weeks on Optislim when I expect to weigh 70 k

Would value the way you did it

Have a beaut day

Kind regards

Peter

G.Day? have a "beaut" day, do I detect an Australian, I ask as nice to see a welcome of G.Day, considering I am from a beautiful spot in Australia Byron Bay the most easterly point, although residing now in another beaut spot, called Pollensa Mallorca a gem of the Island in the Mediterranean. Enough of that, just thought I would ask?

Great news weight loss. I think it all depends on individuals circumstances, but I can quote my own success if any assistance to base any decision making one way or the other.

• changed lifestyle from what was previously healthy organic eating lifestyle to a more healthier lifestyle, i.e. no potatoes, pasta, rice or bread.
  • Eat low carb keto www.dietdoctor.com recipes. Portions size of airline meals 3 meals a day NO SNACKING
  • intermittent fast three times a week, two mornings no breakie, one day no breakie or lunch this is to aim the insulin issues
  • Exercise over and above daily surfing, min walk 5 to 9klm daily depending commitments
Overall, these simple changes have resulted in total control sugar levels to normal for fasting, 2 hr after eat and random, and recent A1C now 5% i.e. normal non diabetic range and finally ...

"in 11 months weight loss 24 kilos, 23cm off the waist". Feeling great energized and still surfing at the ripe young age of 68.

As you asked, above is how I did it, and may assist someway, have a beaut day!
Mallorca.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Peterseaford

Hello Peter and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll join the others who’ve said they lost weight by eating low carb. I’ve lost 36.5kg by reducing my carbs but only eating enough fat to stop me feeling hungry.