What's going on??

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry for going on about this but I can't lose weight and can't work out why. I am not a person who loses quickly, I know that, but 6lbs in a month is ridiculous considering the amount I was eating before...and I don't seem to have lost a single ounce in well over a week.

I am testing with my meter and everything is looking really good. All my results are "normal" so why can't I lose anything?

Has anyone got any tips or advice? I am really desperate to get this thing turned round and it's really upsetting me.

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
get this thing turned round
Sounds like you have normalised your blood sugar readings? If that is correct then you have turned it around.. weight loss takes time and patience as your body could well be in a state of healing itself. It will prioritise that over weight loss at the start.

Reactions: cmor16 and Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Weight loss often seems to cough and splutter at first and many people experience a stall when nothing seems to be happening but our bodies were designed to hold onto fat stores so a little patience is needed before we can go full throttle. It is thought that a slow and steady loss is kinder on the system than a dramatic, sudden fall. Yours will come soon, keep at it, lass.

Reactions: cmor16

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry for going on about this but I can't lose weight and can't work out why. I am not a person who loses quickly, I know that, but 6lbs in a month is ridiculous considering the amount I was eating before...and I don't seem to have lost a single ounce in well over a week.

I am testing with my meter and everything is looking really good. All my results are "normal" so why can't I lose anything?

Has anyone got any tips or advice? I am really desperate to get this thing turned round and it's really upsetting me.

It seems type 2 diabetics many times have a very hightened level of insulin in some a 10 times higher level than other non diabetics, as long as insulin is much higher we store fat and cant burn it , so all foods that raise insulin and keep it up will sabotage your weightloss , but we need to have proteins in the right amount even when losing , most need around at least 55-70 grams of protein in a day ,proteins also raise insulin levels , the intemittent fasting style helps insulin down by one only having a Window of 6-7 Hours to eat in, by the way I also cant seem to lose Wright at the moment and being on a low calory diet it is a riddle but I Think it is due to High insuline, one could eat only fat and have only 1 meal with all the proteins , maybe a very difficult diet but the Best at lowering insulin

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you have normalised your blood sugar readings? If that is correct then you have turned it around.. weight loss takes time and patience as your body could well be in a state of healing itself. It will prioritise that over weight loss at the start.

Well it's early days yet but I am well pleased the way things are going...apart from the weight loss bit!

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss often seems to cough and splutter at first and many people experience a stall when nothing seems to be happening but our bodies were designed to hold onto fat stores so a little patience is needed before we can go full throttle. It is thought that a slow and steady loss is kinder on the system than a dramatic, sudden fall. Yours will come soon, keep at it, lass.

Thanks Guzzler. I've never been so determined to lose weight and I think my body is saying "Ha! That's what YOU think!" On the plus side I am much fitter, feel/look slimmer, am eating well and to be honest, being in control of my eating makes me feel happier.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6lbs in a month isn't a bad weight loss at all. The recommended target is between 1lb and 2lb a week. It seems you are on target with that. Some weeks there may be no weight loss as such, but a shift in body shape. Do you measure yourself? (waist and hips). You may find your waist is disappearing faster than you think.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems type 2 diabetics many times have a very hightened level of insulin in some a 10 times higher level than other non diabetics, as long as insulin is much higher we store fat and cant burn it , so all foods that raise insulin and keep it up will sabotage your weightloss , but we need to have proteins in the right amount even when losing , most need around at least 55-70 grams of protein in a day ,proteins also raise insulin levels , the intemittent fasting style helps insulin down by one only having a Window of 6-7 Hours to eat in, by the way I also cant seem to lose Wright at the moment and being on a low calory diet it is a riddle but I Think it is due to High insuline, one could eat only fat and have only 1 meal with all the proteins , maybe a very difficult diet but the Best at lowering insulin

I am tracking all my macros in my fitness pal and am having decent amounts of protein (but not too much!) and fats so God only knows what's going on. I am going to take everyone's advice and just keep on the way I'm going but banish the scales!

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6lbs in a month isn't a bad weight loss at all. The recommended target is between 1lb and 2lb a week. It seems you are on target with that. Some weeks there may be no weight loss as such, but a shift in body shape. Do you measure yourself? (waist and hips). You may find your waist is disappearing faster than you think.

I was eating so much (and badly!) before that I would have expected to have a decent loss in my first week then would be content with 1lb or so per week but it hasn't happened that way this time. I did measure my thighs but have lost the bit of paper I wrote it down on! I will just gauge by my clothes as I am going to try my best to keep off the scales.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

This is exactly what happened to me at the beginning, you just reminded me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it's early days yet but I am well pleased the way things are going...apart from the weight loss bit!
How often are you eating? Maybe reducing your eating window would help as it doesn't trigger an insulin response. Try skipping either breakfast or dinner to extend your overnight fast.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How often are you eating? Maybe reducing your eating window would help as it doesn't trigger an insulin response. Try skipping either breakfast or dinner to extend your overnight fast.

I have breakfast but normally miss out lunch as I'm not hungry. I have an underactive Thyroid and am wary about cutting my calories too much so I'm finding that I haven't eaten enough after my dinner (or tea where I'm from!). I am going to have to up my fat a bit I think.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I never lost at the beginning. I too was frustrated. I changed my diet and I started losing nicely. I lost over 3st and Xmas 2016 indulgence.
I stopped cheese, nuts and cream, pork scratchings and the high fat element of lchf.

Edited to add.
I'm on insulin therapy. I still lost on low carb but my insulin didn't like dealing with all the dietary fat.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The diabetes education pair were baffled by my lowered Hba1c but no significant loss in weight - a couple or maybe three pounds I think - but I still had a poor hysterical pancreas pouring out insulin even after some months on low carb.
It took a while, but gradually my energy levels increased - so I knew that normality was coming back - these days I know that I have overdone the carbs by the reduction in energy - and that closes the door on weightloss, as the insulin denies energy to the body, stashing away the glucose and preventing it being burnt off.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The diabetes education pair were baffled by my lowered Hba1c but no significant loss in weight - a couple or maybe three pounds I think - but I still had a poor hysterical pancreas pouring out insulin even after some months on low carb.
It took a while, but gradually my energy levels increased - so I knew that normality was coming back - these days I know that I have overdone the carbs by the reduction in energy - and that closes the door on weightloss, as the insulin denies energy to the body, stashing away the glucose and preventing it being burnt off.
I had it the other way 2.5 stone weight loss but exactly the same hb thing result!

Ballerina

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I too was frustrated at the slow weight loss,given that I had cut down massively on carbs. After 13 months,I'm down by 2stone,4lbs. So not a quick ,huge loss but I'm happy with my overall health and appearance. Weightlifting and hiit has 'reshaped' me. We are all different and I bet you will soon start noticing your clothes feeling looser,and your energy levels going up and up. Keep doing the lchf ,it's by far the way to go!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have heard that sometimes the scales is not the right way to gauge your weight loss, but more your clothes size, or measure yourself with a tape measure. I have lost just over 2 dress sizes. I have no idea what I weigh or the weight on scales that I have lost. How are your clothes? are they looser? You may have gained muscle which would give the impression that you have not lost weight.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard that sometimes the scales is not the right way to gauge your weight loss, but more your clothes size, or measure yourself with a tape measure. I have lost just over 2 dress sizes. I have no idea what I weigh or the weight on scales that I have lost. How are your clothes? are they looser? You may have gained muscle which would give the impression that you have not lost weight.

I've taken everyone's advice and have banished my scales from the bathroom, and it does make me feel better actually. Some clothes feel looser and some friends reckon my face looks slimmer so hopefully I'm on the right track at long last :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I've taken everyone's advice and have banished my scales from the bathroom, and it does make me feel better actually. Some clothes feel looser and some friends reckon my face looks slimmer so hopefully, I'm on the right track at long last :)
I think that is a good idea. I think that you can drive yourself crazy constantly standing on the scales. I do not even own any scales, to be honest. It has taken me a year to lose just over 2 dress sizes, whereas some people it can be much quicker. It will happen just give it time. Try not to think about weight loss, it will happen all of a sudden. That dress in your wardrobe that was way to tight before will suddenly to your surprise will either fit you nicely or will be too big lol. This is what happened to me with a lot of clothes. Good luck