Hypoglycemia?! Confused

Lauren955

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been documenting my
Blood sugar for a couple of months now, as after food a couple of hours after I get very trembly and feel anxious. (I have suffered from anxiety for 5 years anyway) the lowest I’ve caught was 4.0 which then went back up to 4.9 on its own. And the highest I’ve had is 7.8. Which shows they seem to be quite tight numbers too I don’t get a big spike or a fast drop so I am confused why I keep feeling symptoms of reactive Hypoglycemia when my sugars aren’t low!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, @Lauren955 ,

You meter could possibly be reading 15% higher than your actual blood figures. (The meter accuracy tolerance level.) Which could make it closer to 3.4Mmol?? (Slap me if i have the "maff" wrong.)

You could be quite hypo aware too..

I'm not certain if you treat first then test? (or if so, with what?) But the figures reading could also be on the way up?

I'll tag in @Lamont D & @Brunneria

Reactions: Jayden2407

Lauren955

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I usually test first and i never know when to treat as it’s never been under 4 on the meter. My doctor says I’m fine as I’m not diabetic but I worry that it could actually be low and my meter just doesn’t show that it’s low ;(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lauren955

If your numbers are between 4 and 7.8 then those are excellent numbers.

Can i ask if you are keeping a food diary? Do you get the symptoms after every meal or snack? Or after certain meals? Or even certain foods?

Lauren955

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Forgot to mention I am non diabetic which is even more confusing as I feel shaky after a couple of hours within Eating and it doesn’t matter what I eat either! :( with my anxiety and mental health too I tend to worry a lot about my health and this is driving me crazy!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually test first and i never know when to treat as it’s never been under 4 on the meter. My doctor says I’m fine as I’m not diabetic but I worry that it could actually be low and my meter just doesn’t show that it’s low ;(

No worries, I fully empathise with your concern. i'm coming from the "angle" of a T1 on meds.. I'll leave you in the capable advice of RH'ers. (who may have different "protocols" for hypos.)

All the best! :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve been documenting my
Blood sugar for a couple of months now, as after food a couple of hours after I get very trembly and feel anxious. (I have suffered from anxiety for 5 years anyway) the lowest I’ve caught was 4.0 which then went back up to 4.9 on its own. And the highest I’ve had is 7.8. Which shows they seem to be quite tight numbers too I don’t get a big spike or a fast drop so I am confused why I keep feeling symptoms of reactive Hypoglycemia when my sugars aren’t low!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
As has been already said, your blood sugar levels are in the normal range.
If you have not dropped below 4mmols, then that is not a hypoglycaemic episode.
And that is taking everything into account.

Using my experience with this forum.
However, I have seen a post from someone having similar symptoms.
I have tried to find the thread but I couldn't see it.
You may wish to trawl through the forum but if I remember correctly, the poster didn't get any satisfactory replies that us RH ers have tried.
If I remember correctly, you test before and look for a spike, but you stay in normal levels, even though you have tested at say one hour, two hours, you gradually get the symptoms as you described. Which leads you to the problems like your anxiety and other health issues. Yet, despite the testing, you stay in normal levels. You get all the symptoms of Hypoglycaemia without going hypo!
I believe the term referred to this is, flat line hypoglycaemia.
But I may be completely wrong, I have been before!
I can't diagnose you as I'm not a doctor, I'm using my knowledge of similar posts.

Have you tried intermittent fasting?
Or do you know of any food intolerance or allergies?