Freestyle Libre sensors not available

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Since two month i'm using the Libre and could get sensors of Weldrick's online pharmacy. They have stopped selling them and since one week i'm running around like crazy to get some. I live in London, have tried the biggest pharmacies in the West End and smaller ones in Islington and Camden.

Since three month i'm also on the waiting list at Abbot, the rep told me on the phone they might be able to deliver from July on. The libre has helped me so much and gave me some confidence back.

My DN at the Royal Free said in March the hospital can prescribe from May on. Was there last month but was told by another DN i need to ask the GP.. Tomorrow i will try but have little hope.

Where do you guys buy them please?

D

Deleted Account

Many people write about getting their's from Asda, Boots and Superdrug.
But this seems to be regional.

Reactions: enzina

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try a superdrug or Asda pharmacy Im also in London and have got sensors from both

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get mine from my local Asda pharmacy (my local Asda is quite large and has a pharmacy and optician just outside the actual main store).
But yes I think it's very dependent on which store you go into cos a while back quite a few said they could get from Boots, but my local one (well local to work) didn't have them and had never heard of them.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you, i have just found the thread which mentioned that the sensors are not available in Boots anymore. I have spent hours today to get some but will try tomorrow again.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The libre has helped me so much and gave me some confidence back.

It's life changing and I can only imagine your frustration at not being able to get new sensors. It would seem that Abbott themselves have instructed pharmacies not to supply to customers unless they have a prescription. Although you might be able to get a prescription, GPs in my CCG (Chiltern) were still being instructed not to prescribe by the CCG (as of April 2018). As far as I can see, it is not a POM (Prescription only Medicine), probably because it isn't a medicine, so it's Abbott applying this restriction.

Since two month i'm using the Libre and could get sensors of Weldrick's online pharmacy.

Since Christmas I had been getting my sensors from Boots, but I had just starting getting my sensors from Superdrug (£35), but that might not be the case next time I ask. In the meantime I have been able to order from Abbott, but as an existing customer there was no problem apart from having to pay £48 (ish) again, at least they are looking after existing customers. As has been mentioned, Boots, Asda, Lloyds who were supplying to everyone have restricted supply to prescription only. However, some branches seem not to have got the memo yet (my local branch included) and they might be available in some stores.

I don't know how private prescriptions work, I know my GP said she wouldn't write a private prescription just because I wanted something, she'd apply the same rules as for NHS prescription. In which case I can't see the reason for private prescriptions. Having said that it might be worth asking your GP for advice. You have legitimate reason as you've used it, benefited from using it, and are now being prevented from getting it. Good Luck.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Today i have called my GP first thing in the morning to ask for a sensor prescription. Although i had showed and explained the Freestyle system to him quiete a few times and one of his students is using it too and we spoke about it, he didn't have a glue what i was talking about and told me it isn't in his system. He asked me to go to the chemist, get the prescription code and we could go ahead. Unfortunately the chemist told me after a phone call to the GP they would have to ask the CCG..
Can't believe this nonsense.

Anyway, i finally found a Superdrug where i could order two sensors. While i was standing at the till i noticed a small basket full of sensors, they were all orders i was told.

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Anyway, I finally found a Superdrug where i could order two sensors.
That's brilliant news! Excellent! It's a nonsense isn't it?

I assume that because CCGs all over the UK are making funding decisions at different times, the pharmacy you went to is worried about whether they will be able to get their money back from the NHS. The fact that your GP is claiming ignorance, I can't comment on, or should I say shouldn't comment on.

I hope that your Superdrug source will continue but bare in mind that somebody on this forum has mentioned that Reading branch were selling the sensor, but would be stopping.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's brilliant news! Excellent! It's a nonsense isn't it?

I assume that because CCGs all over the UK are making funding decisions at different times, the pharmacy you went to is worried about whether they will be able to get their money back from the NHS. The fact that your GP is claiming ignorance, I can't comment on, or should I say shouldn't comment on.

I hope that your Superdrug source will continue but bare in mind that somebody on this forum has mentioned that Reading branch were selling the sensor, but would be stopping.

Thanks again DavidGrahamJones! You're completely right.
The GP has just called me to tell me i will not get it on prescription. he literally said it is not available on the NHS yet, haha. I have looked it up, the Royal Free is in Northwest London, i live in Islington on the border to Camden. That means if i was a Camden (NW) resident, i would get it because i fill the criteria but because i live in N1 i am not eligible. :-(

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
he literally said it is not available on the NHS yet, haha. I have looked it up,

So, he doesn't know about the internet and obviously doesn't read the papers. Most of the papers picked up on the patch Theresa May was wearing back in January.