Exercise Instructors For People With Diabetes

Afternoon all. I have just joined the forum and hoping someone can offer some advice??
I am a level 3 personal trainer and also a Phase 4 Cardiac rehabilitation instructor. But I would like to start offering exercise classes to people with diabetes. To train cardiac patients I have had to do certain courses and I just wondered if anyone knew if there were any specific qualifications required to be able to offer classes? The charity I work for are willing to pay for training but I cannot find much info stating what or if anything particular is needed. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks

Kevin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect there may not be specific courses for training for diabetics. A well-controlled diabetic will not have any more specific disabilities or exercise limitations than a normal person. A badly controlled diabetic could have a wide range of issues. The main thing I guess would be those on insulin would need to take account of their blood sugar level before and possibly during exercise if extended to avoid going hypo. Someone else might know of some training courses?

Hi. I suspect there may not be specific courses for training for diabetics. A well-controlled diabetic will not have any more specific disabilities or exercise limitations than a normal person. A badly controlled diabetic could have a wide range of issues. The main thing I guess would be those on insulin would need to take account of their blood sugar level before and possibly during exercise if extended to avoid going hypo. Someone else might know of some training courses?
Thanks for the reply, That is the conclusion I am coming to, I have seen that there are basic guidelines regarding blood sugar levels and potential issues or restrictions to follow, But it also seems that there are courses out there, but they vary wildly in what they cover and what they cost and what or if they have any benefit. I am wary of a lot of courses out there, they are money making schemes a lot of the time!! I just wondered if there is a standard requirement? For example to work with my cardiac patients I have to be certified by BACPR, wasn't sure if there was a similar set up for Diabetes? Thanks again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your problem will be that of course there really aren't any generic "People with Diabetes". There are multiple different sorts 1's, 2's, 3c's, LADA"s (no not the cars) and many others. Some lift weights, run marathons etc and some are incapacitated. What are you thinking of offering?
Personally I'm no great fan of exercise so your problem with me would be bone idleness - apart from swimming which I love but still can't be a****d to do most of the time.

Reactions: zand

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your problem will be that of course there really aren't any generic "People with Diabetes". There are multiple different sorts 1's, 2's, 3c's, LADA"s (no not the cars) and many others. Some lift weights, run marathons etc and some are incapacitated. What are you thinking of offering?
Personally I'm no great fan of exercise so your problem with me would be bone idleness - apart from swimming which I love but still can't be a****d to do most of the time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday - I think - I was listening to a radio program about someone who takes people for walks - rather like the people who take dogs for walks, and the various reasons - security, encouragement, companionship etc were interesting.
maybe some thing of the sort might serve to help diabetics who are feeling they lack motivation.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply, That is the conclusion I am coming to, I have seen that there are basic guidelines regarding blood sugar levels and potential issues or restrictions to follow, But it also seems that there are courses out there, but they vary wildly in what they cover and what they cost and what or if they have any benefit. I am wary of a lot of courses out there, they are money making schemes a lot of the time!! I just wondered if there is a standard requirement? For example to work with my cardiac patients I have to be certified by BACPR, wasn't sure if there was a similar set up for Diabetes? Thanks again.
Hi . Am a PT and did once consider this route too given the 'plague' of diabetes that is upon us.
I did the Exercise on Referral (level 3) course and this helped in my previous job because we ran a doctor referral scheme and this a recognised qualification, which does cover diabetes as well as other 'co morbidities' and obesity. The problem U have found is that unless you are an NHS insider, doctors don't appear to be keen to put your in touch with their patients. I think there is a 'market' for combining sensible food advice with exercise but what I tell all the diabetics I come across in my gym is that food is about 90% of the problem if managing type 2 blood sugars and weight loss. I have never come across type 1s who need advice on exercise since it is such an individual thing and type 1s know their own bodies better than the professionals usually! I would be interested to hear what you decide to do although I suspect having yoru current level 4 would qualify you to teach diabetics ( a lot of whom will have CVD too) provided you do a basic medical check before starting e.g. are they taking insulin or hypoglecmic meds etc? and usual Par Q type stuff.