Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really shouldn’t read this forum while eating my tea! :hungover::depressed:

I saw it on I player last night after a non D colleague saw it, raised the subject at work yesterday, missed the point (another Mail reader. Say no more..) & we had a heated debate about "toast & liver function during the excercise test," which finished with me pulling a BG meter out of my pocket... (Don't ask. We were all good this morning. Back to mutual respect.)

Yep, my interpretation on "that segment" was two doctors having a cordial discussion for the benefit of the viewer. While one got "high" as a meter length rod with a camera on the end was incerted..

... Good to see Dr Unwin. I felt it was a good program for nonDs & Ds alike.. (That's my take as a T1 carb watcher.)

My "engineer" colleague may have missed the point on what it means to Ds. But at least he's rethinking spuds & "power drinks" on his bike rides.. ;)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could use that footage for a sci-fi film as the docking tube between two spaceships and have the actors walk along it.

If we're getting sci-fi here, maybe a little nod to Kubrick:

"My God, it's full of (st)****"

xl1XYq8.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, that could be the reason.
Very helpful reply.

Johnoo - If you look at the specific wording on the notification, it goes something like, "X replied to the thread "Y". There may be more posts after this."

So, you only ever receive one alert for a reply, until you next look at that threead, whilst logged in. You will receive other alerts if anyone quotes, or Likes your post on the same thread.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was 100% sure it would help me lose weight I would go for it.

I can't recall the specific research, but I seem to recall a slim, healthy woman experienced a particularly vicious gut issue (e-coli, or something like that - can't recall that detail), which severly impacted her gut flora. Following a gut flora transplant, donated by her twin, who happened to always have been heavier than her slim sister, the recipient became overweight, so there are undoubtedly risks involved.

Apologies for my memory, but I obviously assessed the info as not rerequirrered longer term, or my goldfish syndrome is getting worse!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched it with my sister, and she clearly had a ‘light bulb moment’. I think, for the first time ever, she understood! My family are diabetics, Type 1 and Type 2, everybody! My sister is the only exception but that’s because she has Crohn’s disease and struggles to absorb anything, and has lost at least half of her gut. So I think it was pitched just right for ‘lay people’. I know I’m a lay person, but I have spent so many hundreds, or even thousands of hours reading / researching / watching - I know that I know much more than most medical professionals. So, this programme served a purpose. I know we ‘purists’ can criticise it, but it was interesting and enlightening for Joe Public and on the whole, I thought it was useful.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried all sorts of different n=1 resistant starch experiments, but they all took my blood glucose too high.
So I just don't bother any more.
Nowadays if I want to splurge a little on carbs they are root veg or gluten free and are smothered in butter, cream or meat fat, which lowers and extends the spike better for me than relying on resistant starch ever did.

Of course, combining fats and carbs is bad for overall health in the long run, and bad for the waistline in the short run. So I save it for special occasions.
I found that if I cooked pasta, ran it under the cold tap and reheated it it didnt raise my BG too much. I also toast low carb bread straight from the freezer which has similar affects ie not too much rise in BG.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It was fully explained in the programme. Personally, I have only tried this with rice and the results were disappointing.
I do it with pasta and have good results - also toast low carb bread straight from freezer which works.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't recall the specific research, but I seem to recall a slim, healthy woman experienced a particularly vicious gut issue (e-coli, or something like that - can't recall that detail), which severly impacted her gut flora. Following a gut flora transplant, donated by her twin, who happened to always have been heavier than her slim sister, the recipient became overweight, so there are undoubtedly risks involved.

Apologies for my memory, but I obviously assessed the info as not rerequirrered longer term, or my goldfish syndrome is getting worse!
Very many years ago my slim husband was asked to give a poo sample to be tested for a study. He was chosen because he had never had antibiotics. My guess is that some of his gut flora are a different type to mine as perhaps mine of that specific type have been destroyed by antibiotics in the past, never to return. I have had several probiotics but perhaps they are missing the most valuable gut flora? Who knows, but I would be willing to try.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that if I cooked pasta, ran it under the cold tap and reheated it it didnt raise my BG too much. I also toast low carb bread straight from the freezer which has similar affects ie not too much rise in BG.

Daphne - When doing that with pasta, have you tried continuing testing beyond the 2 hour mark? For me, pasta was never a rocket fuel, in terms of blood scores, but it always raised my bloods a bit, but that modest rise continued for an extended period.

I was never a big fan of pasta, so giving it up was zero hardship.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Daphne - When doing that with pasta, have you tried continuing testing beyond the 2 hour mark? For me, pasta was never a rocket fuel, in terms of blood scores, but it always raised my bloods a bit, but that modest rise continued for an extended period.

Soggy cardboard? For me, it was never worth trying the cook and cool method.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Soggy cardboard? For me, it was never worth trying the cook and cool method.

Each to their own choices.

Now I'm GF, it's just another reason not to bother with it, but for me, that's no hardship.

Reactions: Guzzler

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I usually do with most ‘carbier’ foods particularly when reintroducing them and, looking back at my thread in 2015, when I first tried it I was 5.6 pre meal, 7.5 after 1 hour, 7.7 after 2 hours and back down to to 5.5 after 3 hours. This was the norm whenever I had it. Ironically whilst I still have pasta occasionally I usually have courgetti or courgette lasagne with my bolognase sauce these days. However I do seem to be able to eat more carbs than many forum members so I have never gone very low carb which may have something to do with it.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally had time to watch this programme (though not had time to read through 10 pages on this thread!)

I thought it was very clear - the style of eating discussed closely matches what I have been doing for the last 14 months - and it's worked very well for me. I was amused to see the positives of eating the odd apple - I am very careful about portion sizes - but I do eat 2 or 3 portions of fruit a day along with LOTS of veg and salad :)

johnoo

Finally had time to watch this programme (though not had time to read through 10 pages on this thread!)

I thought it was very clear - the style of eating discussed closely matches what I have been doing for the last 14 months - and it's worked very well for me. I was amused to see the positives of eating the odd apple - I am very careful about portion sizes - but I do eat 2 or 3 portions of fruit a day along with LOTS of veg and salad :)
Welll done on your results, but it's more than just a two week trial as described on the programme.
In saying that the Programme should have got people thinking.

johnoo

I do hope so, but we have had one newbie that thought it was irritating (on another thread)
Perhaps, like a lot of people, they can't accept the truth.
But again it's harder when one is working alone & not on a very controlled trial.
One should also think of the other parties in a marriage, my wife at times says " I try so hard to give you the correct food & your BS goes up". Diabetes is not only one persons problem it's the supporters problem as well

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I watched this with my 12-year-old who has, it's fair to say, an absolutely atrocious diet currently, for complicated reasons that aren't really under my control - he has a number of sensory / developmental issues and lives at school Monday - Friday.

I said to him, "If you can watch this to the end, look me in the eye and tell me you're fine with your lifestyle, I'll no longer nag you about what you eat. If you get to the end and say you'd like to change some stuff up, I'll be the first to help you figure out how that works and get everyone else on board, too".

Then we watched it.

That was a week ago. In the week since, he's given up bread and cereals and has made the staff at the House (where he stays Mon - Fri) watch the documentary, too.

Today he ate pineapple and mango with yogurt (and topped with pomegranate) for breakfast (compared to his usual milkshake and Shreddies!), he was surprised to see that he wasn't hungry by lunchtime so skipped it, and then for diner he tucked into a HUGE plate of green salad (lettuce, spring onions, cucumber and sliced green peppers dressed with a little parmesan, lime juice and walnut oil), garlic stuff green olives and half a packet of pepperoni. Better yet, he said it was the tastiest day of food he'd ever had and was already planning tomorrow's breakfast when he went to bed.

I was astonished.

He then also begged me to come to his school and the House next week to help everyone get on the same page when it comes to what he wants to eat and how he wants it prepared. The House is freaking out slightly about cost and fussiness, but - after a year on LCHF - it'll be easy enough to make it cost-effective (which is a weird phrase to use in any case when talking about a young person's health and diet - just how would you measure how "cost effective" a healthy diet is anyway?), sustainable and easy to prepare.

In this instance, my son's autism is an advantage: once he finds something he likes, he'll stick to it for years. So cheesy omelettes, fruit and yogurt, stuffed peppers, ham and soft cheese roll-ups... all rapidly becoming part of his food vocabulary and habit.

I'm so grateful this documentary happened: the beige, white and green carbs concept made it super-simple for my son to understand, and today we saw the result: a low-carb, inexpensive, flavourful healthy diet.

I'm calling my surgery on Monday to make sure my GP and my DN (who REALLY needs a little push) watch this, too.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's brilliant, @SockFiddler - I hope you or someone else who tweets will send a link to your post to @xandvt to let him know about a success story from his show :)

Maybe it's time for me to sign up!