Biltong / Jerky Snack

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 308541

A mate of mine has started to make biltong / jerky for a hobby and earn a bit of beer money.

I got three packets off of him yesterday, and it has nice spicy flavour with a hint of smoke and chillies, and it did not raise my carbs up at all all though there was beer involved as well.

7tsinMC.jpg

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried to get this in the UK, I ordered some but brown sugar was in the ingredients. I decided not to bother, but the dog enjoyed them!

D

Deleted member 308541

I have tried to get this in the UK, I ordered some but brown sugar was in the ingredients. I decided not to bother, but the dog enjoyed them!
You will not get this stuff in the UK, no sugar in the mix either.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d highly recommend these guys, they make jerky (meat and vegan) and biltong here in South Wales. Good friends of mine and really lovely people :) http://cowleysfinefoods.co.uk/

That's a really interesting web site. It's also the only place I've seen in the UK which offers pemmican. I've been wanting to try the sort of pemmican they used on Antarctic explorations for a while now, but don't trust myself to make a palatable version of it. The stuff on this site looks more complex and unfortunately they've added fruit and possibly honey to it, but I don't think I'm going to be able to resist getting some to try.

They've got lots of interesting flavours for their beef jerky as well. So far there are 4 items in my shopping basket!

Very unusual to see someone selling horse meat as well. And they've got a very dark sense of humour - making jerky out of horse meat and calling it 'My Brittle Pony'! I think people are either going to love that or hate it.

Anyway thanks for the link - they owe you a bit of commission.

Reactions: Prem51

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Boo1979 I can't see ingredients listed, I don't suppose you have a packet lying around?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Boo1979 I can't see ingredients listed, I don't suppose you have a packet lying around?
No but I know they are sugar free if thats your question - beware tho the normal biltong, Ribeye biltong and Jerky from the same company all have added sugar
Edit - found the ingredients list
Ingredients: Beef (250g of beef per 100g of finished product), cider vinegar, salt, spices (coriander, pepper, chilli, nutmeg), colour (ammonia caramel), citric acid, preservative (potassium sorbate), antioxidant (ascorbic acid)

Last edited:

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Try 'Forman and Field' smoked salmon jerky. Expensive but a delicious treat and no sugar - just salmon and smoke.

Reactions: xfieldok

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried both recently. ....being a meat eater ii thought i would really enjoy it. ..omg it was disgusting. .binned it

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's a really interesting web site. It's also the only place I've seen in the UK which offers pemmican. I've been wanting to try the sort of pemmican they used on Antarctic explorations for a while now, but don't trust myself to make a palatable version of it. The stuff on this site looks more complex and unfortunately they've added fruit and possibly honey to it, but I don't think I'm going to be able to resist getting some to try.

They've got lots of interesting flavours for their beef jerky as well. So far there are 4 items in my shopping basket!

Very unusual to see someone selling horse meat as well. And they've got a very dark sense of humour - making jerky out of horse meat and calling it 'My Brittle Pony'! I think people are either going to love that or hate it.

Anyway thanks for the link - they owe you a bit of commission.
I get lots of new things to try, by way of commission and testing the veggie products! They do spiced mealworms and crickets too, they’re a great low carb, high protein snack. Love them. They use our grapes to make fruit leather with too :) I’m certain if you get in touch and ask if they’d do a low carb version at some point, they’d be open to the suggestion, they’re always keen to please new customers and try new ideas.

My Brittle Pony is ace, I used to love it before the meat allergy hit. They’ve also done llama and zebra (tastes like stripey horse) and other exotic meats. The lamb and venison ones are amazing. Their stock changes through the year too, Martin is an inveterate foodie inventor and is always coming up with mad/interesting/amazing recipes.

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get lots of new things to try, by way of commission and testing the veggie products! They do spiced mealworms and crickets too, they’re a great low carb, high protein snack. Love them. They use our grapes to make fruit leather with too :) I’m certain if you get in touch and ask if they’d do a low carb version at some point, they’d be open to the suggestion, they’re always keen to please new customers and try new ideas.

My Brittle Pony is ace, I used to love it before the meat allergy hit. They’ve also done llama and zebra (tastes like stripey horse) and other exotic meats. The lamb and venison ones are amazing. Their stock changes through the year too, Martin is an inveterate foodie inventor and is always coming up with mad/interesting/amazing recipes.

I ordered 3 flavours of beef jerky and the pemmican in the end.

I think I will get in touch and see if they'll make a low-carb pemmican, that's good to know they are open to suggestions.

I didn't go for the horse meat jerky. Yet. I'll be placing another order if I like the first one though, maybe I'll get tempted. I'm a product of my society however and find the idea somehow not quite right ... I certainly wouldn't eat dog as I can relate to dogs and love them, and I know some people feel the same about horses. But I don't feel the same about horses, so I can see myself getting tempted. I've probably had plenty of horse meat already without realising it, based on the news. And there's those big sheds which farmers have and nobody knows what goes on inside.

There's lots of interesting stuff on that site which unfortunately I can't have. The '***** Swears Roulette' is a great idea!

Reactions: LooperCat
D

Deleted member 308541

I didn't go for the horse meat jerky. Yet. I'll be placing another order if I like the first one though, maybe I'll get tempted. I'm a product of my society however and find the idea somehow not quite right ... I certainly wouldn't eat dog as I can relate to dogs and love them, and I know some people feel the same about horses. But I don't feel the same about horses, so I can see myself getting tempted. I've probably had plenty of horse meat already without realising it, based on the news.
I have eaten horse meat, it has a slightly sweeter taste to beef to my palate, I ate dog in Singapore years ago at a street stall. I asked what it was and she said something or other then went "woof woof", it was tasty.

My mate has put a waiting list up for his biltong / jerky as he cannot keep up with demand.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I used to really enjoy horsemeat. I inadvertently had dog in Vietnam, but didn’t find out until it was too late! Tried whale in Norway, tasted like fishy beef...

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Mel dCP ... the package has arrived! No, I don't mean our secret drug deal, I mean...

Exciting! I really love the packaging, very quirky.

I had to try the pemmican first as it's something that's fascinated me for years. I expected to hurl - the idea of animal fat stored for a long time at room temperature just doesn't sit well with me, but I'm fascinated by it because it was used by explorers. Anyway I'm pleased to say it was pretty good. It may even become an acquired taste.

Now that I've opened it I'm going to put its shelf life to the test. I'm going to store it at room temperature, then take it out hiking with me and see how it lasts over a hot weekend. It won't be this weekend so it will be sitting around for a while. Will also be interesting to get a feel for how much energy it gives me while walking. I can pretend I'm a proper adventurer / pioneer / explorer / American Indian / whatever.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey @Mel dCP ... the package has arrived! No, I don't mean our secret drug deal, I mean...

Exciting! I really love the packaging, very quirky.

I had to try the pemmican first as it's something that's fascinated me for years. I expected to hurl - the idea of animal fat stored for a long time at room temperature just doesn't sit well with me, but I'm fascinated by it because it was used by explorers. Anyway I'm pleased to say it was pretty good. It may even become an acquired taste.

Now that I've opened it I'm going to put its shelf life to the test. I'm going to store it at room temperature, then take it out hiking with me and see how it lasts over a hot weekend. It won't be this weekend so it will be sitting around for a while. Will also be interesting to get a feel for how much energy it gives me while walking. I can pretend I'm a proper adventurer / pioneer / explorer / American Indian / whatever.
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it all. I recall Martin found a pack that had fallen down the back of a shelf unit that was over ten years old. They had it tested, and it was still fine to eat... I’ve got packs from four years ago in my cupboard :D

Reactions: AdamJames