Why So Few?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C I just think it'd be good and reassuring for newish T1s like me to hear a bigger voice from those who have done the biz for far longer. I'm not saying that friendly advice isn't given, it's just seems like we're hiding.

I don't think we're hiding. It's more that we've got day jobs and just pitch in every now and then we're free at weekends.

I've done the biz for a long time, 3 decades. I've managed it ok without going to extremes. I can see a place for keto, lchf, for T2s and sometimes T1s.

But they can easily become extreme, and drive newly dx'd into eating disorders.

There's been some sickening posts from T2s earnestly advising some newly dx'd T1 that they should never ever have some fish and chips, and the same posters are posting elsewhere that they'll have a cheeky wee fish and chips every now and then.

T1 and T2 are different conditions. I accept that moderating carb intake is a good thing for T1s, but input from T2s will take you in to a very limited diet, needlessly so.

But what do I know? I've been T1 for 30 yrs. A lot of the T2 Bernstein enthusiasts on here have been T2 for, hmm, a year or two.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m here a fair bit because I’m self employed and things are depressingly quiet for me just now. If I’m typing I’m not eating :D. Being an all or nothing kind of chick, for whom moderation is a skill I just don’t have, keto works a dream for me - I’m a real binger. So at least if I binge on cheese, I may end up with an ar5e the size of Belgium, but my sugars will stay relatively steady. But it’s not like it’s going to put T1s into remission, is it?

I nicked a chip yesterday. Tasted like sugar and I had to spit it out. Am I cured?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sometimes tempted to napalm T2s who ask why was their bg 5.5 and then it was 5.7.
:D

Maybe as T2s we're more prone to OCD?? Personally I'd be frantically asking if my meter needed replacing instead of rejoicing that my levels were hopefully being nice and stable for a change....

But my biggest puzzle is why do they make scales that only show one weight - I've always weighed the same for the last four years - perhaps they need replacing too? :rolleyes:

@Mel dCP - Bouncy Bouncy!
But I can't make the curly brackets big enough for a proper cyber hug...

{ bloody_bounce_avatar.png
}
Robbity
(who's relieved she can still actually make fun of her T2 self)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Couldn't agree more, guys. T1 and T2 are totally different disorders with very different needs. Some forget that or just never understand it. And then there are the many minority groups like T3, LADA, MODY, 1.5, RH, T2s on insulin, unknown type, and other groups... IMHO there needs to be a bit less evangelical zeal from some quarters and a lot less judgment of others. But who am I kidding, it's the internet, lol.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest I have given up on the idea of cure reversal or even some sort of permanent remission for me they are an illusion and unattainable the past two years of austerity and striving for lower and lower BG thinking I had gained control now to find that simply altering my dosage of prednisolone has thrown all that out the window. I have decided to be a bit less obsessed with carbs and BG and be a little more relaxed about it and have a bit of fun for a change.

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 1 diabetics are fewer and advice on this forum are honest experience as I assume.

You don't advice on what you don't know the management unless you are a healthcare professional involved in care of T1D.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Reactions: briped

KevCB

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm one of the even fewer - Type 3c - so I know what you mean about there being less of us!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Ooh, competitive flat-lining, Nicole, I like it, should be an Olympic sport!

I've got a bluetooth transmitter on top of libre, so I get cgm graphs. Most of them are a rollercoaster mess, but I really liked these two.

In the first one, I thought, nah, it can't be that flat, maybe the sensor is glitched but there's a small delta change between each reading and evening and morning calibration bore it out. But still can't rule out the possibility that I was just leaning on the sensor all night!

In the second, shows how a bit of careful pre-bolusing helps a lot: downward gentle curve and rise for tea and supper instead of savage spike.

View attachment 26969
@Scott-C I think those graphs are brilliantly informative @NicoleC1971 you could join in this competition:), I can't as I haven't got a thingy. @mountaintom I like the naughtiness of a derailment but it might not be allowed. I agree with you @KC67 about still feeling like a newbie, but feel swamped by T2s and their comments about BG and food

I also agree with you @Scott-C and @therower that seeing all the low BGs posted from T2s makes me feel as though I should be there too. Note, not for medical assistance. So I think @kaylz91 and @mountaintom are right about posting high numbers, it'd reassure me that actually it's quite common.
I love the definition of a Typezero, thanks @Mel dCP they can be a pain in the ***
@Scott-C I think your comments about dealing with T1 and eating are sensible and makes me think I've been making a bit of a prick of myself.
I think you're all great and the comments have been fun and interesting to read. I get a very different less zealous feeling so thanks for sharing and having a laugh. I'm glad I asked the question.
View attachment 26970

Reactions: Jenny15

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I have given up on the idea of cure reversal or even some sort of permanent remission for me they are an illusion and unattainable the past two years of austerity and striving for lower and lower BG thinking I had gained control now to find that simply altering my dosage of prednisolone has thrown all that out the window. I have decided to be a bit less obsessed with carbs and BG and be a little more relaxed about it and have a bit of fun for a change.
It’s cheaper if you don’t test too often and, as my hba1c has been in the 30s for the last 4 years, I feel that I am well controlled so don’t necessarily need to. I even had a slice of Tiger Bread :hungry: the other day and didn’t test afterwards :eek: so may have to repeat the experiment to see what effect it did have on my BS! However I think that it is useful for new Diabetics to learn that good BS control can be achieved through diet (not ness very low carb) and meds for T2s and, apologies if I’m off piste here, meds and carb counting for T1s. I am not sure about any other types so will not comment!!

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
As a type 2 on insulin with a few other disorders that cause my blood sugars to be a trifle erratic I would love you guys to post your fasting readings on the relevant sites, I am positive it will introduce a necessary dose of realism to some of the regular posters that could be obcessed with low card and low blood sugars.

I have also restarted the " what are you doing now and humourus banter " thread in the general chatter section as I felt the site need something of that nature.

Alf now orf for a morening koffy.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@SueJB , here's a quote from an endo which, I feel, puts things into perspective:

https://diatribe.org/issues/58/quotable-quotes

"In all the work with diabetes technology I’ve done, I’ve worn CGM for long periods of time. I don’t have diabetes, but I’ll eat a dessert and go up to 200 mg/dl. I’ll also drop down to 50 or 60 mg/dl. People with diabetes are comparing themselves to a false standard. The pancreas, for all of the advantages it has, still allows big excursions. It’s crazy to think it’s ideal.”

-Dr. Steven Russell (Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA) urging people with diabetes not to be too hard on themselves.

Athough the novelty of cgm lets me play around with insulin and see more of what's happening, I managed ok for 28 years without it. Sometimes I actually get fed up with the information overload and wonder whether I'm paying too much attention to it.

Although it's nice to get a few 100% in range days, I've become much more relaxed about it going up to 9 or 10 for a few hours, because, as the doc quoted above says, that happens in non-T1s too. And why wouldn't it? That's what the bloodstream is there for, to distribute glucose around the body, so after a meal, one would expect it to be higher.

I'm ok with short periods of 9s and 10s every now and then. The thing to watch out for is regular extended 10s to 15s. That's dangerous ground.