Why So Few?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Perhaps more T1s would join in if there was a fasting BG thread for T1's (with a title specifying T1)? It might help newbie T1s?
The thread what's you fasting BG is for everyone, it's just because there are more T2, there's more of them posting. Somone made the point earlier that fbg isn't as important

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Indeed we can, and my comments have been in response to a thread started by a T1 asking why so few T1s contribute to the site.

There's been numerous instances of T1s becoming terrified of insulin after T1 threads getting swamped by T2s talking nonsense about how insulin should be avoided as much as possible because it'll make them fat, put them on a constant roller-coaster, hypoing all the time, and that outdated gibberish the Law of Small Numbers.
@Scott-C I think it might have been me that thought............... possibly still think insulin contributes to making fat

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thread what's you fasting BG is for everyone, it's just because there are more T2, there's more of them posting. Somone made the point earlier that fbg isn't as important
Yes I know it's for everyone, what I was suggesting was something that's not for everyone so that it doesn't get swamped by T2s. FBG may not be as important but surely it would be helpful for new T1s to have somewhere to post theirs and ask for help if needs be.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I wonder how many of my fellow T1s would post on a separate thread called "Hey T1s, what's your fbg this morning with as much or as little chat as you like?" At least I might get a feeling that I am one of some rather than one of few.:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how many of my fellow T1s would post on a separate thread called "Hey T1s, what's your fbg this morning with as much or as little chat as you like?" At least I might get a feeling that I am one of some rather than one of few.:)
Well the only way to find out is to start the thread yourself. Go on - I dare you!! :D The worst that could happen is that you end up talking to yourself, but at least you'd know you were having intelligent conversations.

Robbity

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's a good idea because in doing so you would be giving newbie T1s (and LADA) an easy way of asking for help. So those experienced T1s who don't feel they need to post their FBGs may decide to do so if it can help others. Giving and receiving support has to be good right?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
But you and others have introduced the idea of bombing and attacking T2s on this thread.

Oh, come on, it was obviously just a bit of good natured joshing, and seems to have been taken that way by T2s. I've spent a fair bit of my time contributing to T2 posts who have had queries about the vagaries of bg meters and libre, but I can't be bothered any more if I'm going to get pulled up for a bit of dark humour.

And criticising the Law of Small Numbers as Gibberish is neither humorous, supportive, nor helpful.

It's gibberish because it fails to acknowledge that higher amounts of insulin are accompanied by a higher amount of carbs, and unless something has gone seriously wrong with the carb count, there will generally be a broad correspondence between carbs and bolus, and nothing which can't be easily repaired with a few glucotabs or another shot. Yet, Bernstein cites it as a "law". That, and calling his book a "Solution" says more about the vanity of the man than his intellect. He needlessly limits food options.

If I'm going to moderated over a valid criticism of a person who seems to be regarded as a deity on this site, it probably goes part of the way towards explaining the op's query about why so few T1s contribute - they are fed up with the overemphasis on low carb and keto.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, come on, it was obviously just a bit of good natured joshing, and seems to have been taken that way by T2s. I've spent a fair bit of my time contributing to T2 posts who have had queries about the vagaries of bg meters and libre, but I can't be bothered any more if I'm going to get pulled up for a bit of dark humour.

It's gibberish because it fails to acknowledge that higher amounts of insulin are accompanied by a higher amount of carbs, and unless something has gone seriously wrong with the carb count, there will generally be a broad correspondence between carbs and bolus, and nothing which can't be easily repaired with a few glucotabs or another shot. Yet, Bernstein cites it as a "law". That, and calling his book a "Solution" says more about the vanity of the man than his intellect. He needlessly limits food options.

If I'm going to moderated over a valid criticism of a person who seems to be regarded as a deity on this site, it probably goes part of the way towards explaining the op's query about why so few T1s contribute - they are fed up with the overemphasis on low carb and keto.

Perhaps you would do well to consider that your ‘good natured joshing’ has already required the input of several moderators on this thread, and it was your posts which have done more to derail this thread than any others.

The OP was an enquiry about fasting blood glucose. The multiple other subjects have been largely introduced by yourself in what looks increasingly like an attempt to ride your hobby horse around the park.

If you wish to discuss this further then please do so by sending me a PM. If you continue to debate the subject on this thread it will be seen as further thread derailing and your posts will be deleted.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This thread isn't about a them against us. The question is why type 1's don't post as much. I have noticed derailing by both type's, 1 and 2, even threads, regarding type 1 from the DCUK News Bot has caused type 2's to post that this and that happens to type 2's and not just type 1's when the article is actually about type 1. Lots of things on here are exasperating at times and the smaller groups, type 1, Lada, Type 3 etc are quite small, so we are out numbered, I used to have a laugh and banter with other's on the forum, but don't post much anymore, as some have gone and I have noticed lost of changes over the years. Most of the threads are regarding type 2 and diet, either low carb, keto, Newcastle, because the forum has a very high % of type 2's. A couple of years ago I mistakingly posted my fasting BS on the type 2 thread, I realised my mistake. apologised and everyone was fine about it, no one batted an eyelid :)
I think the main reason I don't post my BS, is because when I have posted a low on waking, eg 3.4, I received 'likes' which to me wasn't really appropriate, but when I asked about the 'likes' I was told it was just an acknowledgement, but being that low isn't good. Also seeing some member's who, for example, have gone to bed on a 4.6 and woken on a 5.0 and are so concerned and upset about it, makes me feel rather inadequate ( even after 29 years) and I think to myself, you really don't know how lucky you are. This is just my perspective on the Thread's title.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast . Well said. A genuine reply from a genuine T1 who has experience and an understanding of life with T1 diabetes not only in the real world but also on this " forum".
How I wish we could have this reasoning and sensibility guiding the forum.

Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m having a distinctly pants bg kind of a day. Stubbornly remaining above 8 :banghead:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP asked the question why few T1s post on the general FBG thread, some of you gave reasons why.

I agree with @Robinredbreast that a T1 reading of 3.4 as FBG isn't really a good thing, yet we T2s often think the lower the better.
T1 FBGs are so different from T2 FBGs so surely it's important to share with each other so that newbies can see they aren't the only ones with strange readings sometimes.

Are any of you T1s, LADAs and 3cs interested in your own thread for FBGs or not? If it doesn't help you personally it may help others.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My T2 perspective on FBG for T2s is they are a waste of a strip to be honest. (Unless you are tightly controlled all the time and only keep an eye on FBG) For newbies it can be upsetting, confusing, demoralising when they report high numbers and see others with spectacular numbers. I often advise newbies to leave the FBG alone until such time as the pre and post meal numbers are consistently in target. I find these threads just lead to competition, and comparing oneself with others is never wise with this condition.

Sorry, not answering the OP's question, but I think it has already been answered by several posters.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180610-155601.png
    Screenshot_20180610-155601.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 320

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
This thread isn't about a them against us. The question is why type 1's don't post as much. I have noticed derailing by both type's, 1 and 2, even threads, regarding type 1 from the DCUK News Bot has caused type 2's to post that this and that happens to type 2's and not just type 1's when the article is actually about type 1. Lots of things on here are exasperating at times and the smaller groups, type 1, Lada, Type 3 etc are quite small, so we are out numbered, I used to have a laugh and banter with other's on the forum, but don't post much anymore, as some have gone and I have noticed lost of changes over the years. Most of the threads are regarding type 2 and diet, either low carb, keto, Newcastle, because the forum has a very high % of type 2's. A couple of years ago I mistakingly posted my fasting BS on the type 2 thread, I realised my mistake. apologised and everyone was fine about it, no one batted an eyelid :)
I think the main reason I don't post my BS, is because when I have posted a low on waking, eg 3.4, I received 'likes' which to me wasn't really appropriate, but when I asked about the 'likes' I was told it was just an acknowledgement, but being that low isn't good. Also seeing some member's who, for example, have gone to bed on a 4.6 and woken on a 5.0 and are so concerned and upset about it, makes me feel rather inadequate ( even after 29 years) and I think to myself, you really don't know how lucky you are. This is just my perspective on the Thread's title.

Well said RRB

Reactions: karen8967

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robinredbreast . Well said. A genuine reply from a genuine T1 who has experience and an understanding of life with T1 diabetes not only in the real world but also on this " forum".
How I wish we could have this reasoning and sensibility guiding the forum.
We won't get that if T1s don't bother posting because they are outnumbered by T2s.

Maybe the report button would be useful if T1s feel that T2s are taking over T1 threads? (lol yeh I expect to be reported for posting on this thread now lol - but in my defence I feel I have been respecting T1s in doing so) We do need experienced T1s to guide newbies. Please T1s don't just stop posting because there are so many T2s. That's not going to help even things out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the report button would be useful if T1s feel that T2s are taking over T1 threads? (lol yeh I expect to be reported for posting on this thread now lol - but in my defence I feel I have been respecting T1s in doing so)

This isn't a T1 thread. It was posted in Ask a Question on which anyone can reply.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I cried tear of laughter at that, so thank you :)

I was hypo this morning and 11 yesterday if we're posting fasting BG's

I know half a dozen real life t1’s and I don’t think they use or are aware of this forum. They manage perfectly well without it!

I joined here at the end of 2017 after 33 years T1 and managed, but it's interesting reading other T1 viewpoints and predicaments.

I'd have to say the response above from the moderator is pretty poor in response to valid points from a T1 perspective...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
This thread isn't about a them against us. The question is why type 1's don't post as much..................
...............I think the main reason I don't post my BS, is because when I have posted a low on waking, eg 3.4, I received 'likes' which to me wasn't really appropriate, but when I asked about the 'likes' I was told it was just an acknowledgement, but being that low isn't good. Also seeing some member's who, for example, have gone to bed on a 4.6 and woken on a 5.0 and are so concerned and upset about it, makes me feel rather inadequate ( even after 29 years) and I think to myself, you really don't know how lucky you are. This is just my perspective on the Thread's title.

I think I have contributed to the FBG thread a couple of times when I wanted to have a whinge about waking up with glucose levels in double figures. But to be brutally honest, the reason I don't routinely post my figures is because it bores the pants off me and I simply cannot be bothered to boot up the computer to write '5.6' and then log off to continue getting ready for work.

I do understand that some T1's may get excited about having an FBG that's lower than normal and feel the desire to share the experience with the community. But from my own perspective as a working T1, I actually don't want to be too low on workdays because I have to get in the car and drive to the office, so having a low FBG becomes an irrelevence anyway.

Reactions: kev-w