Diabetics R Us

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugfest sounds wonderful! Can I bring the dogs?

Please do. Dogs are the best things to hug in the world. Well actually I don't know - I've never tried hugging a reindeer for example, so maybe bring them as well and I can compare...

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
using these threads to vent their resentments

Sometimes I resent having type 1 diabetes. T1 is a pretty big deal. This forum is one of the only places I can occasionally vent my resentments and frustrations because nobody at home understands completely what I am going through. They sympathise. But they don’t KNOW. I am not alone in thinking this.
Are you suggesting that I sacrifice that privilege because somebody is slightly offended by very faintly offensive remarks which are clearly tongue in cheek?
The health and safety officers on here need to relax a bit. I don’t actually think anyone is THAT offended.
I have far more important things to be worrying about than how the PC brigade view my comments. I am not personally attacking anyone nor am I using offensive language.

Reactions: karen8967

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please do. Dogs are the best things to hug in the world. Well actually I don't know - I've never tried hugging a reindeer for example, so maybe bring them as well and I can compare...
Will do of course! As long as I get a hug as well :)

Reactions: mountaintom

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone. :)

What a lot has happened since I had my tea. We now have 3 R-Us threads. I think it's all a bit of a mess.

Off to cuddle my dog and think about it.

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do of course! As long as I get a hug as well :)

Virtual hug sent for now! More at the hugfest :) I like hugs.

If the hugfest turns out to be anything like most parties I've been to however, I'll probably end up in the corner talking to the dogs. But I'll be happy :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sometimes I resent having type 1 diabetes. T1 is a pretty big deal. This forum is one of the only places I can occasionally vent my resentments and frustrations because nobody at home understands completely what I am going through. They sympathise. But they don’t KNOW. I am not alone in thinking this.
Are you suggesting that I sacrifice that privilege because somebody is slightly offended by very faintly offensive remarks which are clearly tongue in cheek?
The health and safety officers on here need to relax a bit. I don’t actually think anyone is THAT offended.
I have far more important things to be worrying about than how the PC brigade view my comments. I am not personally attacking anyone nor am I using offensive language.
Sometimes venting helps to relieve pressure that is building to dangerous levels so vent away we all need to gripe now and then.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Everyone using this forum does so on the understanding that their posts comply with the forum ethos and rules (link in my signature).

Please bear this in mind with every post you make, on this and all the other threads.

We ALL get frustrated and resentful, and we ALL benefit from having outlets for those emotions, but if people express themselves in ways that break the forum rules, then they will be subject to moderation (as laid out in the same rules).

Fortunately, keeping to the rules is easy. They boil down to a few simple, comfortable concepts:
- be polite
- treat each other with respect, and
- if you don’t want to do those things, then refrain from posting

Hope that clarifies.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Random reflection: I took a couple of days off from Metformin. I've been low carbing very strictly for a couple of months now, and I was wondering what the difference would be. My BGs bounced up 12 hours after by 1 -2 mmol/l each reading. I was a bit disappointed. I thought I might have healed myself. More importantly, the weather here is freezing - down to 0 C overnight most nights. My daughter bought me the nicest pair of merino hiking socks which are keeping my feet warm better than any socks I've ever owned. I think I'm going to have to find the money for a few more pairs. I've found keeping my feet warm during the day has improved my night time issues with them (pain and RLS). About to go for my second HBA1C and my app suggests it will be 6.6. A very marked improvement on 11.9!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone using this forum does so on the understanding that their posts comply with the forum ethos and rules (link in my signature).

Please bear this in mind with every post you make, on this and all the other threads.

We ALL get frustrated and resentful, and we ALL benefit from having outlets for those emotions, but if people express themselves in ways that break the forum rules, then they will be subject to moderation (as laid out in the same rules).

Fortunately, keeping to the rules is easy. They boil down to a few simple, comfortable concepts:
- be polite
- treat each other with respect, and
- if you don’t want to do those things, then refrain from posting

Hope that clarifies.

Well, I have always obeyed those rules so clearly don’t have anything to worry about.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll probably end up in the corner talking to the dogs. But I'll be happy :)
Take some liverwurst with you to share with my dogs and they'll be happy to listen to you all night!

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I for one am liking this thread. With all these exclusive threads being set up, and as a recent rediagnosis of LADA from Type 2, I would have felt like I didn't have a home! It's good to have somewhere just for diabetics whatever shade of D you happen to be!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grrrrrr. Had fish fingers tonight and didn't remember how much I usually inject for them. Clearly guessed wrong, now waiting to see if I guessed my correction dose right. Now I'm at it, I seem to remember exactly this happened the last time I had fish fingers.
Ah well, I still like them (especially because combined with whatever greens I bought for the guinea-pigs they make a meal when I don't feel like shopping ) , I only need to remember to inject more than I think for them :)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Any place where people congregate will naturally sort itself into areas where people who have more in common will gather together and share experiences and advice.

There are some issues that are very specific to T1s, to be fair. Same as there are very specific T2 things. And as a tiny minority of the diabetic world, T1 specific things can after get lost among the other still very interesting and informative information here that’s relevant to everyone. I know nothing about Gliclazide, although a couple of real life friends use it. They don’t know agreat deal about fiddling with insulin doses and timing. Nothing sinister about it at all. ;)

[reference to earlier deleted post, edit by Mod]
I agree with all that but as a T2 on insulin, I fit in neither group but need info from both groups. The way some people act can make this challenge harder than it needs to be. But that's online life, so I try to just laugh these days.

What I like about this thread is that members from all the little minority groups like mine can feel comfortable posting in it. Bravo!

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hello everyone. :)

What a lot has happened since I had my tea. We now have 3 R-Us threads. I think it's all a bit of a mess.

Off to cuddle my dog and think about it.
Trying to have separate threads based on diagnosis types is like trying to herd cats. That's why I like *this* thread because it tries to get away from that problem.

My approach to online forums is generally that people can say what they want within the forum's rules and if I don't like it I'm not forced to read it. Once people start trying to meet the demands of people who take offence at things that most others don't, the whole thing tends to fall apart.

Just my two cents worth.

Reactions: dancer

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the T1 thread to be quite informative and interesting. I always knew that T1s had to balance between lows and highs but hadn't fully appreciated the daily challenge to do this. I have more empathy with T1s now.