Diabetics R Us

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It’s got a long date on, so I could buy more, but it’s also quite expensive. I also like frying chunks of it and having it for breakfast with sliced mushrooms and asparagus cooked in goat butter.

Mushrooms on my shopping list - check! Paneer in my fridge - check. It might be good to fry it in some cumin butter ... I'll try. When in India I always order paneer somethingorother. Love the stuff. Hey, will put frozen spinach on the list too :) I'm glad I'm not allergic to anything, because the range of food is quite poor here.

Reactions: pcs63

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Too much micro wave radiation about got to protect your self.

Reactions: porl69

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
It’s fab stuff. Together with paneer, it’s the only cheese I know of that doesn’t melt when it gets hot. I only buy one pack a fortnight because I’d eat waaaaaaay too much of it. It’s got a long date on, so I could buy more, but it’s also quite expensive. I also like frying chunks of it and having it for breakfast with sliced mushrooms and asparagus cooked in goat butter.
That's it. I'm moving in with you.:D

Reactions: Antje77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I’m making some changes to my basal insulin at the moment and finding diabetes to be a real PITA. :banghead::banghead::banghead: All hugs gratefully accepted. But I do have a shiny new red steel pen for my Tresiba, so that’s nice.

But in other news, husband brought home a baby cauliflower for 5p from the reduced counter in Asda last night, and it’s now marinating in soya yogurt, chilli sauce and tandoori spice for a roasting later. To go with a saag paneer (made with halloumi) and some cauliflower rice.

Woke up on a 6.3, so I count that as a T1 win :)

Why have you not posted that lovely picture as you have in that other place, and post the recipe here? :)

Reactions: Brunneria

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Why have you not posted that lovely picture as you have in that other place, and post the recipe here? :)
As requested, but not really much of a recipe...

Tandoori baby cauliflower:

1 baby cauliflower (the little romanescos are food, but out of season atm)
Alpro soya (or whatever) yogurt
Tandoori spice mix (Asian shops)
Chilli sauce (because I don’t do bland)

Mix the marinade ingredients and slather the cauliflower in it. Leave as long as possible. Roast for an hour at 200C, or until soft and browned.

Saag Paneer:

2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp curry paste (I use a madras one)
2 courgettes
300g frozen spinach
100g paneer/halloumi cheese, diced
200g yogurt

Melt the oil and fry the curry paste. Add the diced courgette, and cook until it’s as soft as you prefer (I like it all dente). Add the yogurt and spinach, cover and let cook for a bit. Add the cheese cubes. I cooked it a few hours in advance to let the flavours get to know each other a bit.

Cauliflower rice:

Buy a tub for 90pmfrom Asda and follow the instructions. Or... melt a couple of tbsp coconut oil in an oven dish with plenty of salt and pepper. Toss the rice in this to coat, and roast for 40 minutes at 180, turning every ten minutes. This gives a wonderfully nutty, not at all squelchy substitute.

The whole meal was 21g carbs, but all nice slow ones. 52g fat and 29g protein using my ingredients.

463DC9B4-4E96-4157-B365-65145A7461ED.jpeg

Reactions: heh and karen8967

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I've been up all night, as it were, and I'm terribly disappointed by the lack of photos. Hopefully the delay has allowed time for the costume from eBay to arrive, however. Now I must off to bed...
Sorry, I'm soooo tired after my weekend away. I'll try to do it tomorrow. The costume is a great fit!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As requested, but not really much of a recipe...

Tandoori baby cauliflower:

1 baby cauliflower (the little romanescos are food, but out of season atm)
Alpro soya (or whatever) yogurt
Tandoori spice mix (Asian shops)
Chilli sauce (because I don’t do bland)

Mix the marinade ingredients and slather the cauliflower in it. Leave as long as possible. Roast for an hour at 200C, or until soft and browned.

Saag Paneer:

2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp curry paste (I use a madras one)
2 courgettes
300g frozen spinach
100g paneer/halloumi cheese, diced
200g yogurt

Melt the oil and fry the curry paste. Add the diced courgette, and cook until it’s as soft as you prefer (I like it all dente). Add the yogurt and spinach, cover and let cook for a bit. Add the cheese cubes. I cooked it a few hours in advance to let the flavours get to know each other a bit.

Cauliflower rice:

Buy a tub for 90pmfrom Asda and follow the instructions. Or... melt a couple of tbsp coconut oil in an oven dish with plenty of salt and pepper. Toss the rice in this to coat, and roast for 40 minutes at 180, turning every ten minutes. This gives a wonderfully nutty, not at all squelchy substitute.

The whole meal was 21g carbs, but all nice slow ones. 52g fat and 29g protein using my ingredients.

Thank you now on my to do list.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

vradulich

I’m on my fifth glucose tester they seem to all be considerably inaccurate . With in two minutes I get 40 points difference this is on all of the ones I’ve had so far anyone else find this the case ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I’m on my fifth glucose tester they seem to all be considerably inaccurate . With in two minutes I get 40 points difference this is on all of the ones I’ve had so far anyone else find this the case ?

The readings taken are just a snapshot in time. Our cells do not glycate at the same rate nor do they march along in formation like a squadron on parade. The trends upwards/downwards are most important. There is also about a 15% variance +/- with readings.

Coco_Laur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tbh separate threads can help because although these are extremely similar illnesses, they are actually also quite different, so they each have their specificities.
Having said that, a common thread is a greeeaaat idea! :)))

Reactions: Fairygodmother