Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I really do not understand how Paul and Rosemary were said to have avoided their diagnoses. The tests (A1c) clearly showed their status.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I agree - my excesses were low fat products, fruit and lovely cold orange juice and wholemeal varieties of every carb not a white or beige product in sight. Healthy hey? I also hiked miles. Ps the thirstier I got ( didn’t know this was down to diabetes) the more cold orange juice I drank - ah so that’s one of the reasons I got an hbaca1 of 97 and a bmi of over 30 an excess of fruit and orange juice! I eat more calories now with a bmi of 20.1 and hbaca1 of 30 than I ate at that time when I was miserable and hungry and of course obese!
Similar to me with the orange juice, I know exactly how you feel, as we both thought we were being healthy, yet when the thirst kicked in this became super toxic to us....at least we know now.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Similar to me with the orange juice, I know exactly how you feel, as we both thought we were being healthy, yet when the thirst kicked in this became super toxic to us....at least we know now.

Colleen perhaps making the same error with the pineapple? Although in the Pre D range, I still think fruit should be eaten as a treat and for me as a T2 something to be avoided.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the whole thing confusing and it made little sense to me. My reason for this is simply this.....I wasn't fat to start with before being diagnosed as pre diabetic but I still went on to lose over a stone and a half as they seem to suggest is the magic fix. That may help as it did me to a certain extent BUT.....if I eat high carb anything my blood sugar still goes crazy high and takes forever to come down thus proving that losing weight is not the complete fix as my body still cannot cope with even a moderate amount of carbs. Eating low carb is the 'magic fix' and they seemed to totally avoid that in the tv programme which didn't surprise me as they seem to not acknowledge it to a great extent. If starving and drinking those disgusting shakes is the best they can come up with then I will continue with our way here and eat low carb as that works for me. My weight stays down and I can also enjoy the odd treat :)

Currently waiting for latest blood results.....July 5th as the nurse is on holiday smh.....not expecting great numbers as I have just lost my husband but I am now trying to get back on track. They just noticed my blood pressure is high.....180/60.....just a LOT I'd say....now I am on meds which to date have had no effect :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They just noticed my blood pressure is high.....180/60.....just a LOT I'd say....now I am on meds which to date have had no effect :(

I am so sorry you have recently lost your husband. This must have had an affect on your blood pressure, and may still be doing. All that upset and stress plays havoc, not just with blood glucose but with our BP. Hopefully it will improve. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That’s very true. And

Please can you tell me how you make this? It looks and sounds amazing!

Me, too. No need for a "near starvation diet" as Dr. Zoe proposes, in my opinion.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I missed this evening's episode. To be honest, I just forgot.
That shows how little I enjoyed it last night!
I won't bother with the catch up.

I did watch the earlier programme on ITV about eating healthily. That was a complete load of rubbish. The dietician even showed the lady a picture of the Eatwell Plate.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the programme I have been free of diabetes since June 2016 when my A1c was 44.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
According to the programme I have been free of diabetes since June 2016 when my A1c was 44.

Remission is easy if you have set your own criteria. I am now Diabetes free and really.... by my own own set of criteria I never was Diabetic. BRB just off out before the chippy closes ;)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry you have recently lost your husband. This must have had an affect on your blood pressure, and may still be doing. All that upset and stress plays havoc, not just with blood glucose but with our BP. Hopefully it will improve. :)
It was high before he got ill and passed away but my wonderful practice nurse decided that 158/60 is ''fine'' !!! That is what it is most days and now they spotted it again when I had my bloods taken for my yearly review. I am not expecting great results as I haven't been eating too well while nursing my husband but am trying to get back on track and will definately be asking to see the GP if this nurse dares tell me any of my results are ''fine'' when they are clearly not

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, same here. According to the 12 month criteria used by Prof. Taylor in the DIRECT study I have been in remission since June 2014 . I also did it in less time than his participants, and lost 33% of my body weight. No meds, and all on a very enjoyable and easy LCHF diet.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Colleen perhaps making the same error with the pineapple? Although in the Pre D range, I still think fruit should be eaten as a treat and for me as a T2 something to be avoided.
Yes the fructose is metabolised by the liver directly which is perhaps already fatty, raspberries maybe as these are lower sugar. Better than what she used to have so at least progress. The problem is supermarkets are obsessed with making fruit sweeter, stop already.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The penny has finally dropped for me that me being told by my DN, and me believing her, that my HbA1c of 47 is not diabetic now, is maybe not right.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think some Dr's tell you the whole story and some don't.
Maybe they only share what's important at the time.? Or some don't really care, anyway.
Dr Zoe seemed enthusiastic but chef and chaser looked anything but.
A big shock, to them both. :(

Gee1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I missed tonights episode, can someone please update on what happened and was it any better then last night? Tnx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I missed tonights episode, can someone please update on what happened and was it any better then last night? Tnx

Marginally better in that they mentioned insulin resistance but did not elucidate. They said what it is that the HbA1c measures. However, they stuck rigidly to their 'restricting calories is the answer/losing weight speedily is the answer theory.
They did put two celebs on fasting type diets, though, which I was surprised about.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can fast.....I can eat less calories.....but at the end of the day non of that really changes the fact that if I don't eat low carb my blood sugar will fly up and my HbA1c will be bad. I believe we can control our situation and achieve ''remission'' but it is totally dependent on maintaining a low carb way of life. That seemed to be the one thing they avoided on the programme....it was all about losing weight and half starving which kind of annoys me as generally many label diabetics as ''fat and lazy'' which is often not the case. I am frequently told that I cannot eat what I eat as it doesn't conform to the NICE way of thinking even though it works for me. So I am afraid I will ignore the so called new thinking and stick with the knowledge I have gained here on this forum. It far out weighs anything the medical people have to say. It is time they reviewed the NICE way and listened to the people who have achieved so much success here. Low carb is the only way to beat diabetes. My practice nurse incidentally says it is ''fine'' if my blood sugar goes up to 18 and takes 10 hours to come back down to normal.....I rest my case!

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m really confused by this show - especially the second part. I got the impression from watching it that by losing weight and lowering your hbac1 to normal level you are not diabetic anymore. Is this really possible??? Before watching and reading the forums It seemed to me that if you ever go above 48 on your hbac1 you are a diabetic forever. So confused ‍♀️