Intermittent Fasting Advice

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like a bull at a gate, and being thoroughly disillusioned with my ultra slow weight loss on LCHF, I've taken the plunge and gone on a fast, but I have no idea what I'm doing, and I was wondering if you fasters might have some guidance in the form of web pages or youtube videos I could have a quick browse through.

I woke up yesterday morning and decided not to eat for a few days just to see what my body does. Yesterday I drank water and 3 coffees with a splash of cream. Today I've had water and 2 coffees with a splash of cream (so far - it's 6pm now so maybe one more before bed. I feel grumpy, but I think that's because of the stuff I've been reading and how totally ripped off I've been by the people I've tasked with taking care of my health (I now realise it really is down to me to figure it out as best I can).

So anyway, I lost about 5 kg in the first month or so after I was diagnosed, but then even though I didn't change what I was eating, I started to gain it back again. It was so hard to shift in the first place, I was feeling very down watching the scale creeping back up again. I've read a few people on this forum singing the praises of fasting and so I thought I'd give it a shot, while I still have a smidge of will power left.

So if you have some free online resources that you've found useful, I would really appreciate the links! Thanks :)

Reactions: Petaluk

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes i fasted the other day for 24 hours and it wasnt easy.
I had to keep myself busy,and i got hungry during it but i got over that

I personally wiuld start slowly maybe at 12 hour fasts then 24 hour before going into 48 hour fasts
They say not to eat a big meal after a fast though as it can give you a stroke :meh:

Reactions: beth cordoba

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's been about 46 hours so far, if it's ok to have those coffees. I guess intermittent fasting isn't what I want to do, since I just figured out that was more when you go one meal a day more or less. I just want to lose some weight. I got down to 99.9 kg from 104.5 when I was first diagnosed by following a pretty strict low carb healthy fat diet, but then after a month, without any real change to my eating, the weight started creeping back on again. I feel like my body wants to be about 100 kg and will pretty much do whatever it takes to keep at that weight. I don't know what I'm doing, but I dropped half a kg yesterday, which gave me some motivation to keep at it.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My other message to any newly diagnosed Type 2 is actually to stop worrying about weight loss and concentrate on BG control. IMO it's way more important than weight loss. Getting hung up on a number on a scale is a recipe for disaster when you've got a condition you need to manage for life.

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually your right

I have been looking and measuring by t shirt size,now im down to 6xl :eek:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Keep at IF AND LCHF. don’t worry about the weight it really will take care of itself

Get a copy of this ........
IMG_1529052569.175596.jpg

Reactions: MrsGruffy

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Indy51 - That was a very interesting video. Definitely going to give OMAD a go once I finish this fast, and hope I can find the will power to sustain it. Hopefully a long-ish fast to kick start me will make hunger less of an issue. Would you stick to LCHF for the OMAD? Seems like it's the only way for me if I don't want to push my BG up to stupidly high.

Reactions: Petaluk

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
But not this......
IMG_1529052617.440174.jpg

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Thanks @Indy51 - That was a very interesting video. Definitely going to give OMAD a go once I finish this fast, and hope I can find the will power to sustain it. Hopefully a long-ish fast to kick start me will make hunger less of an issue. Would you stick to LCHF for the OMAD? Seems like it's the only way for me if I don't want to push my BG up to stupidly high.

Stick to LCHF Always

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
What is you food diary like each day. Perhaps if you told us what you eat every day we might be able to tweak it a little

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep at IF AND LCHF. don’t worry about the weight it really will take care of itself

Get a copy of this ........View attachment 27088
Thanks @rab5 I have been watching everything Fung I've been able to find on youtube. He's an amazingly easy to follow speaker and what he has to say matches with my experience so far. I don't have any money to spend on anything right now, but hopefully what I save on groceries this week will pay for that book!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes i fasted the other day for 24 hours and it wasnt easy.
I had to keep myself busy,and i got hungry during it but i got over that

I personally wiuld start slowly maybe at 12 hour fasts then 24 hour before going into 48 hour fasts
They say not to eat a big meal after a fast though as it can give you a stroke :meh:

May I ask where you got the information about stroke risk, please?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
May I ask where you got the information about stroke risk, please?
It is important to keep electrolytes up during the fast, maybe half a teaspoon of salt per day in the drink of your choice.

It is advisable to break the fast with a small meal based on fat / protein but not carbs. Carbs can follow a few hours later. Death due to breaking the fast with over consumption is extremely rare, but better to be safe than sorry, and is more applicable to multi-day fasting.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My usual food day would be 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon with a couple of cherry tomatoes and coffee with cream for breakfast (or an egg custard with a few slices of thawed frozen strawberries and sugar free maple syrup - claims it has no carbs)
A low carb (8g carb) wrap with salad (baby spinach, cucumber, capsicum, a slice or 2 tomato and a couple of scratches of grated carrot)and egg/ham/chicken/mackerel with olive oil for lunch.
Some sort of meat (around 200g ish) with vegies (stir fried in coconut oil or butter) for dinner.
1 snack.. like a home made baked custard (2.3g carbs) or home made chocolate mousse (5g carb) most days.
Hunger attacks slayed with a teaspoon of no sugar peanut butter (2 -3 a day) or small handful of mixed nuts.
I'm quite fussy - I don't eat cheese or yoghurt, and hate most sauces and dressings. I do add some garlic and chilli to most of my stir fries and a splash of fish sauce or soy... Occasionally I make myself a satay, which is really just coconut cream and peanut butter with spices. I also had success with making keto swedish meatballs from the dietdoctor site with some slight tweaks (no cheese in mine). I've been trying to get oily fish into me twice a week, and at least one other fishy meal - I'm not keen on fish, but I know it's good for me.
I've done keto before, and gained weight. I figured out from recent reading that it was because I was eating too much protein, so this time I've kept to smaller portions of protein and try to keep the fat up. Most of my fat comes from butter, coconut oil, olive oil and cream. I don't count stuff, and I don't keep a diary. Obviously, apart from the lunch time wraps, no bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, all the good things that make all that other stuff taste so good.
I have really cut out everything else. I drink 2 or 3 coffees with a dash of cream each day and only water apart from that.
I hate that I sound like a whinger! I've been spending time every day trying to find new recipes that I think I will like. I want to avoid sweeteners and fake (I can't believe it's not..) food. I do like this maple syrup substitute though, but I make sure I only have a spoonful tops and not every day. Anyway.. I think that's pretty much it.. it gets boring, but I haven't lost the plot at all.. apart from 80g of sugar free, low carb licorice this one time.. in 2 months.

Reactions: rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I found that the snacking between meals knocked me back. I have ended up doin two meals a day. Whenever I snack between meals I tend to stay or put on a wee bit of weight.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'll keep up the fast for a few days if I can and then try for one meal a day.. worth a try. I have great doubt in my will power/self control - but here I am, nearly 48 hours without food apart from the dollops of cream I have in my coffee. I feel fine, and not especially hungry but I could eat something, that's for sure. This is doable though, at least so far. Apparently, from what some fine folk have shared with me, the 3rd day is when the hunger wanes to some degree for some people.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Are you taking medication for your illness