New To Type 2

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Hello all, I have pancreatitis and got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around 6 weeks ago and I'm still as confused as ever. The GP originally diagnosed me with type 3 but when I told the diabetic consultant this he almost guffawed and took delight in trying to educate me about types of diabetes and I was type 2 beyond any question or doubt, me being me and being as confuddled, in pain and generally "still at home planning this" as I was I simply tried to remember what the good doctor had said. At the moment this 48 year old man is struggling to come to terms with how difficult walking around has become and almost every time I come on this fantastic site I end up shutting down my phone and get up immediately trying to find something to do to get rid of the horrors that I have in my head after reading some of the posts....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the response and the link, the more information I can get type thing just now, not big enough yet to admit how afraid I am but at least I'm not alone, again thanks very much.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, tagging @daisy1 For some info for you.

Yes it's frightening at first and a lot to take in, but after a while the fear fades and life goes on. Are there any particular questions you have?

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My main concern at the moment is the pain in my thighs when I walk further than a few metres and just really what should I know, expect sorta thing, sorry but I really am mystified about all this.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Know that you are not alone and that this is a very manageable condition, with the right diet and exercise you'll have your blood sugar in range in no time.
Feel free to ask any question you have and I or another member will answer it. For now take care and I wish you the best in your management

Helen1899

If you were very ill with your pancreatitis and had a hospital stay you have probably had some degree of muscle wastage. I would think once you get up and moving a little more hopefully this will ease especially as soon as you get some good nutrition into you. I’m newly diagnosed as well. It is horrible and terrifying. I hope you feel better soon.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the feedback, maybe a little bit of history is in order to better understand the position I'm in, I was originally diagnosed with pancreatitis more than 10 years ago and was getting along ok, well apart from regular hospital visits for MRI, x-rays, stent fitting and removal and rehydration after an attack, and started having shortness of breath with thumping erratic pulse. My partner and I both panicked a bit and we were advised to go to the local surgery who called an ambulance. When I was on the ambulance the paramedic took blood and then asked about my diabetes, I was taken aback but asked the docs about it and after bloods being taken and tested I was diagnosed with type 3 quickly amended to type 2. That was about 6 weeks ago and recently my shoulder and legs have been aching like I've never felt before and even after avoiding it like the plague I googled it and apparently these aches and pains can be associated with diabetes, thankfully enough I stumbled onto this site so things are looking up at least. At the moment I'm using a monitor 3 times a day before meal times as I was instructed and that's as far as my understanding goes, when the number is high it's bad and in some way explains why I feel the way I do but what makes the number go up or down or why it's bad I haven't a clue.

Thanks for any guidance given or offered.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Grant1969 sounds like you've had a rough time. The good news is that thongs can improve pretty quickly.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Grant1969

Hello Grant and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Ally Pally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The colour pink!
I was diagnosed as T2 in December, following the compulsory health check by the Swiss Driving Authorities for soon-to-be 70s (I’m a Scot, living here since 1975). They didn’t ban me from driving (surprised my doc) but I have strict rules to follow. My stomach initially had problems coping with Metformin (1000mg twice daily, plus Insulin late evening). My Doctor changed my meds to Galvus 50mg, still with late evening insulin. I had severe side effects, but no tummy troubles. I’m now (at my request) back to Metformin 50mg twice daily, plus Januvia 50mg, morning and insulin late night. I occasionally have a tummy upset but my glucose readings have markedly dropped - this morning 6.7mmol, which is very promising. I’m still experimenting, trying to find my ideal diet. I’ve come to terms with the fact that pasta, rice and pizza are a no-no - difficult in a country with so many Italian & Asian restaurants. I can only eat so much rabbit food.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type two - if you really are a type two, the numbers before eating are of little use to you if you don't then test two hours later to see what your meal has done to your blood glucose.
By avoiding foods which spike your BG you can stay out of trouble, and that should be a great help if you are still producing enough insulin for your needs.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for that, at least taking readings before and after make sense but not what I've been told to do, it's really confusing me because the doc emphasised about increasing my carb in take because I'm so thin, 8 1/2 stone just now, and seems to be concentrating on my weight gain before my diabetes. I'm still unsure about whether I actually have it or not because other than taking readings nothing else has changed, no medication or diet plan or advice apart from contradictory advice from a dietician about canderel instead of sugar which gave me terrible diahorroea? and the doc saying add sugar to get heavier.

Mazza71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Rude people, being in constant pain,
Hi I feel for you with all the confusing information, I'm a T2 & have always found it very confusing so much so I think I've buried my head in the sand for years .it's only since being put on injectables in the last 2 weeks that I've started to look at all the information again & carefully ,joining this site is one of the best things I've done.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - no matter what type of diabetic you are, being unable to cope with sugar and starches is pretty much part of the definition of the problem.
If you are a type two then eating sugar will give you the classic symptom of glucose in the urine with the option of a UT infection or thrush - though eating starches is likely to do the same.
Maybe try eating a little more in general - chicken thighs roasted on a rack so the skins are crispy and the meat juicy are very eatable, either with veges roasted beneath or eaten cold with a little salad, if you need any encouragement.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well - no matter what type of diabetic you are, being unable to cope with sugar and starches is pretty much part of the definition of the problem.
If you are a type two then eating sugar will give you the classic symptom of glucose in the urine with the option of a UT infection or thrush - though eating starches is likely to do the same.
Maybe try eating a little more in general - chicken thighs roasted on a rack so the skins are crispy and the meat juicy are very eatable, either with veges roasted beneath or eaten cold with a little salad, if you need any encouragement.

Thanks for this, you nearly reawakened my slumbering appetite, since losing my sense of smell due to a motorbike accident years and years ago I've had to be reminded to eat, one of the contributory factors of my present condition.