Itv The Fat Fix: Diabetes

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that we each must find an approach that suits us as individuals. Where I disagree with you is the point you make about being excluded from making any criticism due to the lack of qualifications. It is unhealthy, I feel, to attempt to shut down debate because the whole point is to argue for and against etc.
Even the leading experts of particular fields argue, criticize and debate.
You said it exactly there has to be two sides for a debate the for and against but that rarely happens here anything mentioned in the news shown on TV or even on here that is not about low carb for diabetics is instantly condemned as being wrong exactly as the liquid diet was from the programme.... so no debate here on that it was all negative

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Are you still with us @Guzzler? Do you need help? Should we call an ambulance?

In the first section before the advertisements last night, the 'experts' said 1) Exercise is crucial for tackling diabetes, and 2) Calories are everything.

I had visions of your head exploding. Are you okay? :)

I think I held it together pretty well....... until someone mentioned it. And then everything went a bit blurry and I'm afraid that's all I remember until the psychiatrist woke me up.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You said it exactly there has to be two sides for a debate the for and against but that rarely happens here anything mentioned in the news shown on TV or even on here that is not about low carb for diabetics is instantly condemned as being wrong exactly as the liquid diet was from the programme.... so no debate here on that it was all negative

I'm not sure that that is true. Members have remarked on the speed of improvement in numbers.
The important message that Type 2 Diabetes should be taken seriously was firmly put across in the programme as was the fact that it can be well managed. The programme has raised awareness of dietary intervention which is a good thing.

Perhaps restricted calorie diets would be more popular here on the forum if they worked for the majority but NDers themselves, and by this I mean Profs Gill and Taylor et al, have published the results of their findings so far and in my opinion the results back up the anecdotal evidence that exclusion diets in terms of calorific value are not new concepts and that many people do not attain the promised results. This applies to all diets of every description as one size does not fit all. To put it bluntly, if 100 people do this "almost starvation diet" and 48 of them meet the end point criteria where does that leave the remaining 52 people? It is not going to be popular with them.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The two who went on the two week 18/6 hour and 1800/600 calorie diets and reduced their HbA1cs were celebrity chef Rosemary Shrager and the doctor/comedian Paul Sinha.
I don't understand how they could have greatly reduced their HbA1c figures in just two weeks. Doesn't it take 8-12 weeks for red blood cells to be replaced?
My hbac1 was 56 so this was of great interest to me. I feel the program has caused me false hope
It also took me 3 weeks after this reading to get my bg between 4-7

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My hbac1 was 56 so this was of great interest to me. I feel the program has caused me false hope

My A1c was 98. There is a shed load of hope, lass. My last A1c was 43. Keep at it, it is very early days for you and you are tackling this condition and will reap the rewards. Take it steady.

Reactions: Prem51

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My A1c was 98. There is a shed load of hope, lass. My last A1c was 43. Keep at it, it is very early days for you and you are tackling this condition and will reap the rewards. Take it steady.
Thank you Guzzler :)
I do think the rapid weight loss I had initially helped via LCHF diet worked ( about approx 20 lbs) , although recently my weight loss is really slow- 2 lbs a week if I’m lucky :(

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you Guzzler :)
I do think the rapid weight loss I had initially helped via LCHF diet worked ( about approx 20 lbs) , although recently my weight loss is really slow- 2 lbs a week if I’m lucky :(

It is still going in the right direction. To be honest, I would take pride in your improved bg management because I feel that that is more important. Keep slogging away at it, you will get there.

Reactions: briped and Prem51

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm not much of a cook but this makes me want to make an effort to learn! I have shared on my fb page.. Your blog is great thank you for sharing! Whilst I've been low carb for years I eat pretty much the same things on a weekly basis. I really need to change it up!
Aw, thank you. I like fannying about in the kitchen, so if I can share that and make it simple for others to make food they enjoy (without too much faff), I’m one happy bunny :)

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes dietitian
Wow the passion in your posts is so up-lifting, I wish we could do one massive XPERT Health programme. I am a facilitator for the XPERT Health diabetes education programme and the low carb lifestyle WORKS for those who want control of this condition.

I'm sure there are many people here who would love to help with that. There is such a culture of blame towards T2 diabetics but the food industry relegate the one important value to diabetics to the back of food packaging and do not cater for any low carb lifestyle. There are always going to be people who love their chocolate and biscuits and don't care.. but there are huge numbers of people trying to do the right thing and are being misled into believing the food they are buying when in fact it is laden with carbs.

As you say a wasted opportunity to actually help people.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It also took me 3 weeks after this reading to get my bg between 4-7
You are doing well @Petaluk if you are now getting readings between 4-7. And a weight loss of up to 2 lbs a week is good too.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To put it bluntly, if 100 people do this "almost starvation diet" and 48 of them meet the end point criteria where does that leave the remaining 52 people? It is not going to be popular with them.
Well really it is not about the number of people a certain diet works for. Yes low carb works we know that but because we are all individuals there will always be exceptions that for many reasons it is not suitable. If any other diet works for a person who can't do low carb but have found another way then that can only be good. We can't totally slam a diet as being wrong just because it is not what we do no diet is wrong if it works for someone.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well really it is not about the number of people a certain diet works for. Yes low carb works we know that but because we are all individuals there will always be exceptions that for many reasons it is not suitable. If any other diet works for a person who can't do low carb but have found another way then that can only be good. We can't totally slam a diet as being wrong just because it is not what we do no diet is wrong if it works for someone.

I agree with you. As I said, we must each find our own path but that does not mean we cannot debate the merits or disadvantages of diets other than the one that works for us as individuals. ND is not a new concept after all and has been debated ad infinitum.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with you. As I said, we must each find our own path but that does not mean we cannot debate the merits or disadvantages of diets other than the one that works for us as individuals. ND is not a new concept after all and has been debated ad infinitum.

Indeed the debate over use of low calorie versus low carb diets was raging over one hundred years ago. The consensus then, which was based on the research methods of the time, which no doubt wouldn't directly stand up to the rigor of today, was that in general a low calorie treatment didn't have a universally observed benefit over low carb and was on the whole less palatable, but a few individuals were more responsive to it. I have yet to see any modern research that really contradicts this conclusion at a more detailed level.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Indeed the debate over use of low calorie versus low carb diets was raging over one hundred years ago. The consensus then, which was based on the research methods of the time, which no doubt wouldn't directly stand up to the rigor of today, was that in general a low calorie treatment didn't have a universally observed benefit over low carb and was on the whole less palatable, but a few individuals were more responsive to it. I have yet to see any modern research that really contradicts this conclusion at a more detailed level.

I learned just this morning that Sarah Hallberg (Virta Health) says that the critism that LCHF cannot be proven because of the lack of proven long term data is wrong. They at VH have been monitoring beta hydroxybuterate which proves sustainability and adherence. This was in response to a question on n=1 reporting with food diaries.

Edited to add.

The adherence figure quoted by Hallberg was 83% which, if true, is better than restricted calorie diets.

Last edited:

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad I found this thread- just wanna repost this that I posted in another group- I’m so annoyed my blood pressure is raised - deep breaths-

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)
Hello lovelies, This may not be considered the right place for this post but I feel a connection to you guys and want the opinions of this group in particular. Has anybody watched “diabetes, the fast fix” I saw episode 1 with my boyf and guess what? Not one single mention of the word carbohydrates?!???!? Lot of focus on “fat” people, saving the NHS, and how much it costs the Nhs. Very disappointed so far, but it’s only week one. After the participants lose weight and go off on their way, what happens then ? However as a previous ( and regular) consumer of vlc ( very low carb) diet, like the CAMBRIGE DIET - I believe this prevented an earlier diagnosis in me. But I think it encouraged the demonisation of fat people. Lots of “fat makes you diabetic” and no “underlying propensity for diabetes makes you fat” which is what I have been discovering-
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?posts/1813191/

lindisfel

Expert
What makes us fat is eating the poor diet caused by Ancel Keys rigged science. It causes insulin resistance for many and metabolic syndrome.
In this process most of us put on weight due excessive insulin. Re: Hyperinsulinemia.
Our body becomes inflamed due excessive insulin, our bp goes up and our CV system gets knackered.

When blood glucose can no longer be controlled at maximum pancreatic throttle because our insulin sensitivity has dropped we develop T2D. And as a result have two enemies, high insulin and high blood glucose, we lose our sight and have to have various bits cut out or cut off. Oh and we get arthritis! Also we get cancer and Alzheimer's.
All through a man's ego and an unwilliness now for many to make a change from the wrong course derived from a rubbish hypothesis!

Some fortunate souls have really sensitive insulin and never get fat or get metabolic syndrome.
Dr Ted Naiman on youtube is worth watching.
Derek

Last edited:
Reactions: flexi06 and Prem51