1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Itv The Fat Fix: Diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by ThePenguinPimp, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You said it exactly there has to be two sides for a debate the for and against but that rarely happens here anything mentioned in the news shown on TV or even on here that is not about low carb for diabetics is instantly condemned as being wrong exactly as the liquid diet was from the programme.... so no debate here on that it was all negative

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I think I held it together pretty well....... until someone mentioned it. And then everything went a bit blurry and I'm afraid that's all I remember until the psychiatrist woke me up.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I'm not sure that that is true. Members have remarked on the speed of improvement in numbers.
    The important message that Type 2 Diabetes should be taken seriously was firmly put across in the programme as was the fact that it can be well managed. The programme has raised awareness of dietary intervention which is a good thing.

Perhaps restricted calorie diets would be more popular here on the forum if they worked for the majority but NDers themselves, and by this I mean Profs Gill and Taylor et al, have published the results of their findings so far and in my opinion the results back up the anecdotal evidence that exclusion diets in terms of calorific value are not new concepts and that many people do not attain the promised results. This applies to all diets of every description as one size does not fit all. To put it bluntly, if 100 people do this "almost starvation diet" and 48 of them meet the end point criteria where does that leave the remaining 52 people? It is not going to be popular with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Petaluk

Petaluk Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My hbac1 was 56 so this was of great interest to me. I feel the program has caused me false hope
    It also took me 3 weeks after this reading to get my bg between 4-7

• Hug Hug x 2
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

My A1c was 98. There is a shed load of hope, lass. My last A1c was 43. Keep at it, it is very early days for you and you are tackling this condition and will reap the rewards. Take it steady.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Petaluk

Petaluk Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you Guzzler :)
    I do think the rapid weight loss I had initially helped via LCHF diet worked ( about approx 20 lbs) , although recently my weight loss is really slow- 2 lbs a week if I’m lucky :(

• Like Like x 2
  7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It is still going in the right direction. To be honest, I would take pride in your improved bg management because I feel that that is more important. Keep slogging away at it, you will get there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ThePenguinPimp

ThePenguinPimp Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a cook but this makes me want to make an effort to learn! I have shared on my fb page.. Your blog is great thank you for sharing! Whilst I've been low carb for years I eat pretty much the same things on a weekly basis. I really need to change it up!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aw, thank you. I like fannying about in the kitchen, so if I can share that and make it simple for others to make food they enjoy (without too much faff), I’m one happy bunny :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ThePenguinPimp

I'm sure there are many people here who would love to help with that. There is such a culture of blame towards T2 diabetics but the food industry relegate the one important value to diabetics to the back of food packaging and do not cater for any low carb lifestyle. There are always going to be people who love their chocolate and biscuits and don't care.. but there are huge numbers of people trying to do the right thing and are being misled into believing the food they are buying when in fact it is laden with carbs.

As you say a wasted opportunity to actually help people.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ThePenguinPimp

That was truly informative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

You are doing well @Petaluk if you are now getting readings between 4-7. And a weight loss of up to 2 lbs a week is good too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do like that! I've bookmarked and will def use for inspiration. Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well really it is not about the number of people a certain diet works for. Yes low carb works we know that but because we are all individuals there will always be exceptions that for many reasons it is not suitable. If any other diet works for a person who can't do low carb but have found another way then that can only be good. We can't totally slam a diet as being wrong just because it is not what we do no diet is wrong if it works for someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I agree with you. As I said, we must each find our own path but that does not mean we cannot debate the merits or disadvantages of diets other than the one that works for us as individuals. ND is not a new concept after all and has been debated ad infinitum.

16. Jay-Marc

Jay-Marc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Indeed the debate over use of low calorie versus low carb diets was raging over one hundred years ago. The consensus then, which was based on the research methods of the time, which no doubt wouldn't directly stand up to the rigor of today, was that in general a low calorie treatment didn't have a universally observed benefit over low carb and was on the whole less palatable, but a few individuals were more responsive to it. I have yet to see any modern research that really contradicts this conclusion at a more detailed level.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I learned just this morning that Sarah Hallberg (Virta Health) says that the critism that LCHF cannot be proven because of the lack of proven long term data is wrong. They at VH have been monitoring beta hydroxybuterate which proves sustainability and adherence. This was in response to a question on n=1 reporting with food diaries.

Edited to add.

The adherence figure quoted by Hallberg was 83% which, if true, is better than restricted calorie diets.

#177 Guzzler, Jun 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  18. flexi06

flexi06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glad I found this thread- just wanna repost this that I posted in another group- I’m so annoyed my blood pressure is raised - deep breaths-

19. flexi06

flexi06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)
    Hello lovelies, This may not be considered the right place for this post but I feel a connection to you guys and want the opinions of this group in particular. Has anybody watched “diabetes, the fast fix” I saw episode 1 with my boyf and guess what? Not one single mention of the word carbohydrates?!???!? Lot of focus on “fat” people, saving the NHS, and how much it costs the Nhs. Very disappointed so far, but it’s only week one. After the participants lose weight and go off on their way, what happens then ? However as a previous ( and regular) consumer of vlc ( very low carb) diet, like the CAMBRIGE DIET - I believe this prevented an earlier diagnosis in me. But I think it encouraged the demonisation of fat people. Lots of “fat makes you diabetic” and no “underlying propensity for diabetes makes you fat” which is what I have been discovering-
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?posts/1813191/

20. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

What makes us fat is eating the poor diet caused by Ancel Keys rigged science. It causes insulin resistance for many and metabolic syndrome.
    In this process most of us put on weight due excessive insulin. Re: Hyperinsulinemia.
    Our body becomes inflamed due excessive insulin, our bp goes up and our CV system gets knackered.

When blood glucose can no longer be controlled at maximum pancreatic throttle because our insulin sensitivity has dropped we develop T2D. And as a result have two enemies, high insulin and high blood glucose, we lose our sight and have to have various bits cut out or cut off. Oh and we get arthritis! Also we get cancer and Alzheimer's.
    All through a man's ego and an unwilliness now for many to make a change from the wrong course derived from a rubbish hypothesis!

Some fortunate souls have really sensitive insulin and never get fat or get metabolic syndrome.
    Dr Ted Naiman on youtube is worth watching.
    Derek

• Like Like x 2
    #180 lindisfel, Jun 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook