Diabetics R Us

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I taught my eldest to swim in Lister Drive Baths. Did you ever go to the Silver Blades Ice Rink?

I remember our physics teacher used to take us ice skating on school outing days, but I couldn't remember the name of the place. I just checked and yes! It was Silver Blades apparently. The one in Kensington. I remember it well (apart from the name!). I used to love those outings.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I remember our physics teacher used to take us ice skating on school outing days, but I couldn't remember the name of the place. I just checked and yes! It was Silver Blades apparently. The one in Kensington. I remember it well (apart from the name!). I used to love those outings.

The smell of the skate room is one never to be forgotten.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The smell of the skate room is one never to be forgotten.

Haha! Now you mention it, it was a really unique smell. Nothing else quite like it.

From what I remember there was the occasional whiff of hotdogs and a vinegary smell from the skates that they handed out that had been worn by a thousand other people, but most of all the whole place smelled of ... cold. Or something which only low temperatures can produce. I can't put my finger on it.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oooh! Now, then, my youngest (footy mad) just popped his head round the door to tell me that a Spanish fella with Type 1 Diabetes has scored for his country in the World Cup. I punched the air!

Reading from his phone, my lad said that the lad reported "I was told as a teenager that I would never play as a professional". Well, take that! He shoots, he scores, he's a winner.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I, too, was born and bred in Liverpool. I grew up in Stoney Croft (near Old Swan) and left the Pool in my early twenties. I have lived in Yorkshire since then and consider myself a Yorkie but with a lovely rounded Scouse accent. I would love to start a thread entitled 'Desperate Scousewives' just like the radio programme. :)
Im old swan

Reactions: mountaintom

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to go there all the time happy memories used to love the cone of chips

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I lived for a while in those flats above the shops in St. Oswald Street. I hear they are long gone now.
They went years ago its a big tesco now lived in old swan for 35 years but im originally from toxteth

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They went years ago its a big tesco now lived in old swan for 35 years but im originally from toxteth

Blummin eck! I lived in L8 for a while too. Off Granby Street. I've always been a bit of a Gypsy, moving about a lot.

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well friends im off to bed now so il bid you all goodnight and sweet dreams

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the feeling that the separate threads have been created. Isn't the whole idea to be supportive and friendly towards everyone? Do we really need separate threads for T1 and T2? This has really saddened me. So I've created this thread.

"A place for us diabetics to have a chat, post blood glucose numbers if you want to, have some fun and banter and a even have a little whinge."

Basically type 1 and type 2 are two totally different diseases