Newly diagnosed type 2 - have cried the entire weekend.

Jaz006

Hello all...I went to see the nurse this morning.. I didn't cry (progress):). It went okay. She was super impressed that I knew so much about type 2. I told her my new friends from Diabetes UK have been helpful and supportive plus I have done my research over the weekend.

The review took just under an hour and she told me the result that came back from the lab said my blood sugar was 7.6. Cholesterol, thyroid, Iron, B12 were all normal. Blood pressure today was normal.

She talked to me about meds and I have decided to try changing my diet for 3 months to see how I get on. I watched a tv program tonight on BBC1 called the truth about carbs and i feel it was really useful.

Apparently I have to have a special eye test which is fine and she tried to sell me the flu jab and some other jab but I declined them.

Anyway I feel less stressed and worried about it today. I am dreading the girls in the office asking me about how I got on on Friday with the doctor. I am not sure I want to share just yet. I thought I would have been given some kind of testing kit but I wasnt. Oh she had signed me up to a course called Desmond I think she said.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support. I know it's not the end of the world... but it definately has been a shock to my world because I have never been ill before or needed to put strain on the NHS.

Reactions: Prem51

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello all...I went to see the nurse this morning.. I didn't cry (progress):). It went okay. She was super impressed that I knew so much about type 2. I told her my new friends from Diabetes UK have been helpful and supportive plus I have done my research over the weekend.

The review took just under an hour and she told me the result that came back from the lab said my blood sugar was 7.6. Cholesterol, thyroid, Iron, B12 were all normal. Blood pressure today was normal.

She talked to me about meds and I have decided to try changing my diet for 3 months to see how I get on. I watched a tv program tonight on BBC1 called the truth about carbs and i feel it was really useful.

Apparently I have to have a special eye test which is fine and she tried to sell me the flu jab and some other jab but I declined them.

Anyway I feel less stressed and worried about it today. I am dreading the girls in the office asking me about how I got on on Friday with the doctor. I am not sure I want to share just yet. I thought I would have been given some kind of testing kit but I wasnt. Oh she had signed me up to a course called Desmond I think she said.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support. I know it's not the end of the world... but it definately has been a shock to my world because I have never been ill before or needed to put strain on the NHS.

Hi Jaz006, a warm welcome from Denmark too. I wished I could have hugged you when I read your first post, and am so glad you seem to be taking the situation so much more in your stride now. I know it's a shock. We all do.

I'm sure you'll manage to improve your BGs with a sensible diet, and Low Carb is the key to me, and probably to you too.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
That's great news isn't it? Do you happen to remember what kind of blood test it was that gave the result 7.6? Depending on where you live, it's usually an HbA1c test at diagnosis, with a result of >48, so I'm guessing it's not that type of test, unless it's using a different measure. Sorry, I didn't check to see whether you live in the UK or somewhere else.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Hi @Jaz006 and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get that diagnosis, and it does take a bit of time to get your head around it all. You have done well to find this forum, you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.

Regarding your review with dn, I am assuming your blood sugar test result was 7.6% on the DDCT scale (there are different ways of measuring blood glucose which can be confusing). That would be 59.5 on the HbA1c scale. It isn't very high, and there are people on here who had higher figures on diagnosis, but have reduced their readings by their 3 month retest.
HbA1c scale is below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic.

It's good that your dn isn't putting you on meds immediately, often Type 2s are prescribed meds if they are over 58.
Type 2s aren't usually prescribed bg test meters and testing strips unless they are on insulin. That is mainly due to cost. But it is advisable to get your own meter and strips so you can test your reaction to different foods, and know how you are doing. The cheapest strips are with the Codefree or Tee2 meters. I expect someone (@Bluetit1802 ) will be able to provide you with a link to order one of these.

I went on the DESMOND course. I found it useful, but you should be aware that it gives the standard NHS advice to continue eating starchy carbs, which isn't good for Type 2s as starchy carbs turn to glucose quickly in our bodies. That BBC program last night was correct about that.

Anyway keep researching and asking questions on here. You should ask your surgery for a printout of your test results if you do not have online access to your test results - they are supposed to be accessible to you online, but you have to request access.
As I said previously, your bg level isn't very high and you should be able to lower it before your 3 month retest.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning @Jaz006 good results from nurse. I was given the same 3 months to sort myself out by my Dn. So I started Low Carb High Fat (LCHF). Have to say best thing I have done. After first week 10 days of it settling down and getting use to it, I'm now well on it!!
First month I lost 8.4 kg, got Bg down from 16.6 to 7.0 (currently running at 5/6.) I do 18/6 fasting, so no food after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, with just black tea, coffee, water and vitamin water while fasting. I have less than 15 - 20% carbs per day. I have a lot more energy and never feel hungry. LCHF seems to work for a lot of type 2's so why not give it a go? Did not see the programme on carbs as I don't have a TV. There is a thread on the forum called "Low Carb Diet" also one called "What have you eaten today" for good food and meal ideas. Good luck on which ever path you choose and keep us posted. :)

Jaz006

Hi @Jaz006 and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get that diagnosis, and it does take a bit of time to get your head around it all. You have done well to find this forum, you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.

Regarding your review with dn, I am assuming your blood sugar test result was 7.6% on the DDCT scale (there are different ways of measuring blood glucose which can be confusing). That would be 59.5 on the HbA1c scale. It isn't very high, and there are people on here who had higher figures on diagnosis, but have reduced their readings by their 3 month retest.
HbA1c scale is below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic.

It's good that your dn isn't putting you on meds immediately, often Type 2s are prescribed meds if they are over 58.
Type 2s aren't usually prescribed bg test meters and testing strips unless they are on insulin. That is mainly due to cost. But it is advisable to get your own meter and strips so you can test your reaction to different foods, and know how you are doing. The cheapest strips are with the Codefree or Tee2 meters. I expect someone (@Bluetit1802 ) will be able to provide you with a link to order one of these.

I went on the DESMOND course. I found it useful, but you should be aware that it gives the standard NHS advice to continue eating starchy carbs, which isn't good for Type 2s as starchy carbs turn to glucose quickly in our bodies. That BBC program last night was correct about that.

Anyway keep researching and asking questions on here. You should ask your surgery for a printout of your test results if you do not have online access to your test results - they are supposed to be accessible to you online, but you have to request access.
As I said previously, your bg level isn't very high and you should be able to lower it before your 3 month retest.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Jaz006

As mentioned above, you will need to buy your own meter. It is very unusual for Type 2s to be given them on prescription, so we self fund. I'll give you some details in a minute, but firstly I want to advise you to ask for a print out of your blood test results. You can ring the receptionist for this, and you are entitled to them. They are important because you need to know all the actual numbers, not simply the nurse's word that are "normal" or "fine". They may well be lingering at the very edge of normal, and you need to know. (If you are in England your surgery most likely has test results on-line so you can see if yours does and ask how to register)

Now, back to meters.
The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I don't really know what to write. I was diagnosed type 2 at 5pm on Friday night by the Gp as my blood results came back. (I have been feeling faint, look pale and have cold feet).

Anyway I am extremely sad. I am confused by all the websites and what is good and not good to eat.

I really need to stop crying and get a grip because no one has died and I know I will be alright. I guess I dont like having a label. I am overweight so maybe it's my just desserts? I am totally heartbroken, scared and emotional.
Hope you can feel more positive following the advice on here. It is a tremendous blow for some of us, but we can make changes that will help. Good luck.

Jawl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed yesterday! Pretty much cried all of last evening/night. I exercise 6 days a week, but my diet isn't the best. I'm really daunted at the thought of low carb! I don't even know where to start, just googled and found this place!

I'm going for blood tests on Friday, to determine the extent. I'm going fasting. My last blood test wasn't fasting and it was 14.9. I have sugar in my urine. It's so much to take in.

Libby@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,
Can I just say this could have been my first post, I was diagnosed in October last year, it was a complete shock as I hadn’t had any of the typical diabetic symptoms and didn’t feel unwell. I cried at my first appointment with the diabetic nurse, I was so sad, annoyed, angry, you name the emotion I felt it.
However I also discovered this site, it has been my saviour, there are so many helpful and friendly people here, everyone has been where you are. Don’t worry things will settle down. You need some time to grieve but also to realise you have been handed a wonderful opportunity to make some changes that will make a positive difference to your health and well being.
I was (and still am) overweight but cannot tell you how much progress I have made. I’m 4 stone lighter and on my way to hopefully putting my diabetes into remission. I have achieved this by adopting a low carb high fat approach to diet and increasing my activity, not by a lot, just a bit more walking, at a brisker pace and some swimming. There are still days when I wish this was all a bad dream but I can honestly say I have never looked or felt better, I don’t think that would be the case had I not been diagnosed with diabetes.
Ask questions here, no question is silly and someone will be able to point you in the right direction. We are all different and have different experiences and approaches to controlling this condition so you may gets lots of different answers, however that in my opinion is good, it gives you options, read what people say and make your own informed choices.
Take each day as it comes, be prepared to have good and bad days but hopefully you will see some fairly quick positives if you are willing to put in the work and that in itself will be your motivation.
Pretty soon others will pop up with advise, support and encouragement so don’t panic, you are not alone and everyone will be willing you on. Good luck.

Hi, Having a bit of a wobble and beating myself up for having Type 2. This post really helped. Thank you x.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Having a bit of a wobble and beating myself up for having Type 2. This post really helped. Thank you x.
[/QUOTE]
You are very welcome, being part of this forum will hopefully give you an understanding of how many of us are living with this condition and thankfully living well.
I still have days when I wish things were different however today is not one of them, I had my 2nd blood test since diagnoses recently and today got my results and I have achieved normal BG levels, that is all I hoped for 6 months ago. Into the bargain I’m 4 stone lighter, fitter and feeling well, healthy and happy. I have also made many friends here, ok we may only be virtual friends but never the less we care and support each other and I can honestly say despite the fact that sometimes I am talking to an avatar, that person understands my struggles but celebrates my successes.
Keep trying to do your best and don’t give up you to can achieve good things, you are with friends x

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.

Hi @Jaz006 I'm so pleased to hear how well you are doing now. Was just wondering if in your reading about diabetes you came across any further info about the pros and cons of flu and pneumococcal pneumonia vaccinations for diabetics? Of course it's your personal choice to have them or not and you don't have to justify your decision to anyone. Where I live we get the flu shot for free but the other one is quite expensive and we have to self-fund it.

laynche

Hiya, When yo are told it's like the world has come down... I thought my world had ended... I was diagnosed in Feb and has taken a few months to find the right medication (Victoza eppi Pen) and to be able to experiment with food. I got my sugar testing kit and since then have had a few experimental days. I am still adjusting but when you have the right team around you, family and the forum you start to feel like there is hope. It isn't a death sentence and I have chosen to completley change the way I eat which has helped with the weight loss.... One day at a time hun!xx

Reactions: Prem51 and Jenny15

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can sympathise with the Friday afternoon news - I had the same news nearly three weeks ago. I’m sure this forum will help us both learn a new way of life. I feel healthier already by keeping my carbs under 100g.

I read somewhere that people with diabetes are normally healthier than people without because we are so aware of what we are eating and have cut the junk.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Jaz006

Hi everyone, with regards to the flu jab I just don't want it.. it's not my thing.

I have been reading the low carb low cal book it's good isn't it? I love the pictures. How many carbs should I eat a day? I am so enjoying learning about carbs.

Still have not got any form of testing kit. I will ask at Sainsburys in the chemist. I don't want to be testing all the time but I am curious to know if I am doing okay. This morning I ate weetabix with fruit and milk instead of toast..... go Jaz:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Still have not got any form of testing kit. I will ask at Sainsburys in the chemist. I don't want to be testing all the time but I am curious to know if I am doing okay. This morning I ate weetabix with fruit and milk instead of toast..... go Jaz:)

Oh dear! You may have been better off with the toast! Breakfast cereals are very high carb, as are most fruits and milk.
You really need a glucose meter and then can see at a glance what these foods do to you.

It isn't the price of the meter that matters - you only need one meter, but you do need many thousands of test strips, so you need to check the price of the strips before you buy a meter. Strips are not interchangeable between meters.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

speccybecky

I am in the same boat. No symptoms except being tired , but have a lot of stress at the moment, at home and at work. Totally shocked when told I have type 2 . My fasting blood test was 7.3. I don't know what I'm supposed to be eating...everything has sugar! Can't do a lot of exercise as I need a new knee. I am to be sent on a DESMOND Course , but it could take a year. I will see dr in 3 weeks when he will prescribe a statin and tell me , I hope, what happens next. I'm really quite stunned to be told I have a ' life limiting disease' . Been reading conflicting advice , do I eat fruit? It's full of sugar....but surely better than chocolate/sweets. Are Diet drinks ok? Just don't know if I'm coming or going.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the same boat. No symptoms except being tired , but have a lot of stress at the moment, at home and at work. Totally shocked when told I have type 2 . My fasting blood test was 7.3. I don't know what I'm supposed to be eating...everything has sugar! Can't do a lot of exercise as I need a new knee. I am to be sent on a DESMOND Course , but it could take a year. I will see dr in 3 weeks when he will prescribe a statin and tell me , I hope, what happens next. I'm really quite stunned to be told I have a ' life limiting disease' . Been reading conflicting advice , do I eat fruit? It's full of sugar....but surely better than chocolate/sweets. Are Diet drinks ok? Just don't know if I'm coming or going.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

May I suggest you start your own thread? That way you will receive far more replies. Meanwhile, have a good read round and put any questions you have in your new thread.

Jaz006

Oh dear! You may have been better off with the toast! Breakfast cereals are very high carb, as are most fruits and milk.
You really need a glucose meter and then can see at a glance what these foods do to you.

It isn't the price of the meter that matters - you only need one meter, but you do need many thousands of test strips, so you need to check the price of the strips before you buy a meter. Strips are not interchangeable between meters.

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Hi Bluetit,

Actually the weetabix and fruit was amazing because on a normal Saturday I would have had toast and then snacked throughout the day when out and about... however today I have not done that and I've drunk loads of water and am feeling on top of the world.:). I've also walked miles today...around a car boot sale. Lol

Sainsburys didn't have the strips so thank you for the information above I will check it out. Kind regards Jaz

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit,

Actually the weetabix and fruit was amazing because on a normal Saturday I would have had toast and then snacked throughout the day when out and about... however today I have not done that and I've drunk loads of water and am feeling on top of the world.:). I've also walked miles today...around a car boot sale. Lol

Sainsburys didn't have the strips so thank you for the information above I will check it out. Kind regards Jaz
You can't get the low cost meter and strips at a supermarket - the 'Codefree' one is recommended due to it being cheap enough to use all the time - and you can even tick the box which informs them that you are a diabetic and get it free of VAT - but the weetabix and fruit is high carb and should really be avoided.

Reactions: becca59