1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed type 2 - have cried the entire weekend.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Jaz006, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jaz006

Jaz006 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think once a week won't kill me coz I have cut everything else. Saturday's will never be the same again without Papa John's pizza in the evening. I could kill for a packet of crisps... but I am enjoying eating new things and crisps have been replaced with mixed nuts and seeds. So I am keeping my half a weetabix on a Saturday morning ... sorry.

2. PamJHS

PamJHS Type 2 · Active Member

Hi @Jaz006, I was completely shocked when I was told I was T2 in a phone call from my GP, she told me to reduce carbohydrate intake and I found this site fairly quickly with lots of ideas how to do that.

As for blaming yourself for being overweight - don't. It's a societal problem, and it seems that conventional weight-loss advice over the last half-century may be to blame. I've never had any lasting success with the usual diets, in fact I've yo-yo dieted for the past 40 years. I started off in the healthy weight range for my height in my twenties, and I'm now obese. I feel quite cross that the weight gain may have been down to my metabolism not working properly. Every time I've been told by a doctor to lose weight, I've pointed out that I've tried everything and asked what they suggest. So I'm hoping low carb and high fat is the key to the mystery for me.

In fact, for several years I've been telling people I have FOLS - Fat Old Lady Syndrome - because, whatever my problem, it seems it is caused by fat and can only be cured by weight loss! Yet when the GP showed me my notes on his screen, there was a graph showing a rapid increase in blood sugar over the last three years - which has never been mentiuoned to me before.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook