Dementia - 40yr Olds Assessment?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my husband is 52, we have only realised today that his is supposed to be having health checks..........................

will ring surgery on Monday to arrange one.

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This presentation suggest why early prevention...lowering insulin load/resistance may be a really good idea...

upload_2018-6-16_19-15-52.png

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I read that article.
I am coming up to 56, not once have I had a health check at my surgery.
In theory, if I had one at 40, I should have had a few by now.
The only health check up I have had at my surgery, was when I joined present surgery at 39, checking height, weight and blood pressure.
The yearly diabetic check up, I have to keep calling my surgery about this, well going from my last yearly check, apart from the HbA1c that's done before this, the only thing they dis was check my blood pressure and go through my results. I did get asked my weight, I just guessed as had no idea, even saying that, I was not asked to get on the scales. The yearly check before, the nurse actually asked why I was there, told her, got sent away because I was only allocated a 5 minute slot and not the supposibly half hour appointment.
I regularly call to ask for a well woman check up. Always told they don,t do them, and if I had any womanly problems then to see a gp

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The health checks were started in 2009 and are every 5 years so the most checks anyone will have had is 2. It was on one of these "MOT tests" that I discovered that I had diabetes. If you have an annual diabetes assesment then it covers the same things.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I worry about how many people are diagnosed with dementia when, in fact, they could be deficient in Vit B12. Several prescribed medications can cause absorption problems, including Metformin! Doctors don't seem to be very knowledgeable about B12 Deficiency, don't test for it (although testing isn't very reliable anyway), don't listen to symptoms, don't follow NICE guidelines and maybe try to treat some of the symptoms, rather than look for the root cause.

In fact, my GP did request B12 blood test for me but, when the results came back, below the normal range, just said that was fine. I did a lot of research, decided I probably was deficient, GP was adamant I wasn't so wouldn't treat me for it so I eventually went about self-injecting. After a few months, I was feeling better than I had felt for a long time. A year on, ie now, I feel a different person. My GP has seen the difference and he knows I'm self injecting so he has to realise that I was deficient after all. Still, it's not expensive to self inject and 'I'm' in control of this!!! ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think I need to take full control of my blood results but my GP's are very cloak and dagger. I'll work on them thou. Mine not on-line. Very little on-line about any tests or anything of any use. I'll have a chat with them one day I'm not ill or in pain.

greycat001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I worry about how many people are diagnosed with dementia when, in fact, they could be deficient in Vit B12. Several prescribed medications can cause absorption problems, including Metformin! Doctors don't seem to be very knowledgeable about B12 Deficiency, don't test for it (although testing isn't very reliable anyway), don't listen to symptoms, don't follow NICE guidelines and maybe try to treat some of the symptoms, rather than look for the root cause.

In fact, my GP did request B12 blood test for me but, when the results came back, below the normal range, just said that was fine. I did a lot of research, decided I probably was deficient, GP was adamant I wasn't so wouldn't treat me for it so I eventually went about self-injecting. After a few months, I was feeling better than I had felt for a long time. A year on, ie now, I feel a different person. My GP has seen the difference and he knows I'm self injecting so he has to realise that I was deficient after all. Still, it's not expensive to self inject and 'I'm' in control of this!!! ;)
Hello Energize,
I was very interested to read about your B12 Injections. Like you my GP is refusing to give me injections because I am right at the bottom of the scale! Please could you tell me where you get your supply and how often do you use them?

Many thanks

Greycat