1st fast and medication

tinydemon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone! Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been lchf for 3 weeks and am doing my first fast today. I ate at 8pm last night and I haven't had my morning meds (metformin, empagliflozin,) yet as they should be with food. What do other people do? I'm was aiming for 16:8 fast but I'm still feeling ok (bloods 6.1 on waking, 4.8 just now at 2.30pm) and wondering if detrimental to aim for 24 hours if I feel I can! Sorry for the long post! Michelle.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tinydemon . I started back on LCHF on 30th April I do 18/6 fasting. Nothing after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, only black tea water and vitamin water as needed. I find this easy as I don't have much of an appetite in the mornings. My Bs were 16.6 when I started they are now down to single figures with the last 5 days being between 4.5 and 5.6 this is after 12 hour fast and done in the morning. I also go for 20% carbs. I'm also on Metformin and Glicazide so have these with first lot of food, then take others with last lot of food about 19.00 ish. We are all different so just see what suits you. Good luck.

tinydemon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tinydemon . I started back on LCHF on 30th April I do 18/6 fasting. Nothing after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, only black tea water and vitamin water as needed. I find this easy as I don't have much of an appetite in the mornings. My Bs were 16.6 when I started they are now down to single figures with the last 5 days being between 4.5 and 5.6 this is after 12 hour fast and done in the morning. I also go for 20% carbs. I'm also on Metformin and Glicazide so have these with first lot of food, then take others with last lot of food about 19.00 ish. We are all different so just see what suits you. Good luck.

@Terrytiddy thank you for your reply! I will do just that and see how it goes. I don't think I'll get to 24 hours but was concerned if I did, that I'd only be getting one lot of medication in! I think it'd be wise for me to do 16:8 for now and possibly longer if meds (hopefully) change! And congratulations on your readings! Great news!

Reactions: Terrytiddy

nanamama

Congratulations to both of you. I have so much medication that requires it to be taken with food and at least one that must be every 8 hours that I my head is spinning with the challenge this presents. Fasting has always triggered migraines and I cannot take anything for them right now so I dread that part of it as well. I still want to try intermittent fasting once I figure out the medication part. Your success has given me hope. Thank you.

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Any particular reason why not ?

Because it is good for health to eat dinner earlier. It would also help you to avoid gastric problems and other stomach issues. You would also time to digest your food.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because it is good for health to eat dinner earlier. It would also help you to avoid gastric problems and other stomach issues. You would also time to digest your food.
Not sure I can agree with that but each to their own. I usually eat my one meal a day at 7.30 to 8 in the evening and get no problems.

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not sure I can agree with that but each to their own. I usually eat my one meal a day at 7.30 to 8 in the evening and get no problems.

Maybe you sleep later. I was also saying in the terms of fitness.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting has always triggered migraines and I cannot take anything for them right now so I dread that part of it as well. you.
I used to suffer from chronic migraines, which were eventually controlled by meds, and I used early on to ccasionally get hunger related ones so you have my sympathy! But since my T2 diagnosis I've eaten a low carb diet for the last four and a half years, which has reduced both migraine incidence and severity. There have been a few other discussions regarding this, so maybe try a low carb diet before you start thinking about fasting and see if that helps with the migraines. My major weight loss and drop in glucose levels were a direct result of simply cutting carbs right down, so you may not necessarily need to fast.

Robbity

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I fast I take my meds with a small glass of full fat milk...not sure if this is advisable?
But, my dad used to say, milk lines your stomach :/

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I fast I take my meds with a small glass of full fat milk...not sure if this is advisable?
But, my dad used to say, milk lines your stomach :/
Hi @Petaluk how long do you fast for and for what reasons?:)

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight loss stalled so after advice to try fasting to jump start it again, I did 2 sessions of 48 hour fasts in 2 weeks.it worked!