1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

1st fast and medication

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by tinydemon, May 16, 2018.

1. tinydemon

tinydemon Type 2 · Member

Hi everyone! Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been lchf for 3 weeks and am doing my first fast today. I ate at 8pm last night and I haven't had my morning meds (metformin, empagliflozin,) yet as they should be with food. What do other people do? I'm was aiming for 16:8 fast but I'm still feeling ok (bloods 6.1 on waking, 4.8 just now at 2.30pm) and wondering if detrimental to aim for 24 hours if I feel I can! Sorry for the long post! Michelle.

2. Terrytiddy

Terrytiddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @tinydemon . I started back on LCHF on 30th April I do 18/6 fasting. Nothing after 20.00 till 14.00 next day, only black tea water and vitamin water as needed. I find this easy as I don't have much of an appetite in the mornings. My Bs were 16.6 when I started they are now down to single figures with the last 5 days being between 4.5 and 5.6 this is after 12 hour fast and done in the morning. I also go for 20% carbs. I'm also on Metformin and Glicazide so have these with first lot of food, then take others with last lot of food about 19.00 ish. We are all different so just see what suits you. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tinydemon

tinydemon Type 2 · Member

@Terrytiddy thank you for your reply! I will do just that and see how it goes. I don't think I'll get to 24 hours but was concerned if I did, that I'd only be getting one lot of medication in! I think it'd be wise for me to do 16:8 for now and possibly longer if meds (hopefully) change! And congratulations on your readings! Great news!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook