Different Ways Of Taking Insulin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

For everyone who takes insulin how do you manage daily with taking it and remembering? My consultant just let me know yesterday she’s starting me on insulin with every meal. It’s my first time using it and all I was taking before was metformin,for first time users is it more likely to have injections or could you ask to have a pen etc?

Reactions: Diabetic46years
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are self-absorbed.
Hi,

For everyone who takes insulin how do you manage daily with taking it and remembering? My consultant just let me know yesterday she’s starting me on insulin with every meal. It’s my first time using it and all I was taking before was metformin,for first time users is it more likely to have injections or could you ask to have a pen etc?

The pens should be available as opposed to the old-fashioned syringe. Be very careful with your doses and be prepared for some low blood sugars and some high glucose levels because getting used to using insulin is difficult, but your body needs the insulin because it is not making enough or any at all.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @shannonlouisea I am suspecting the reason you've been put on insulin is that your blood glucose levels are pretty high ? Taking insulin is a fact of life, I rarely forget because the importance in keeping good control means I will (hopefully) avoid diabetic complications which could worsen my quality of life, that in itself is a big enough incentive to always stay in control and after a while it becomes automatic to eat, take insulin, if you're struggling then set a reminder on your alarm for mealtimes or write it on your hand.

Are you testing your blood glucose levels regularly ? Yes you will get a pen so it's easy to carry around. Also if your taking insulin for meal times has anyone talked about carbohydrate counting with you and adjusting doses - assuming you are going to be on novorapid that is.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ shannonlouisea,
Taking insulin becomes a habit.
On a pump it is a bit easier as I only need to change the reservoir holding the insulin and the needle under the skin every 3 days or so BUT remembering to give the bolus dose before each meal I very occasionally forget. Feeling unwell in several hours time with I high BSL does give one an incentive to remember !!
The opposite can happen too, where I have forgotten that I have already given myself the dose and injected the dose a second time !! Of course there is no way to 'extract' the added dose so it is a matter of eating more to combat the low blood sugars until the effect of the insulin wears off.
There is a device called Insulog which can be fitted to any of the insulin pens which logs dose and time with a[ information sent to your mobile phone. I do not know if it reminds you to give a dose though.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Looking at your previous posts I see that you're pregnant. (Congrats.)

Most people get given pens, so I expect you will too. But an insulin pen is effectively a syringe, it's just wrapped in a much prettier and more convenient package. Lots of people go on insulin when they have gestational diabetes, and go on to get the hang of it and have successful pregnancies. You'll probably come off the insulin once the baby has been born.

If you're finding the blood tests difficult ask the consultant if you can have a continuous glucose monitor (eg freestyle libre). They may not give it to you but it's worth a try.

Good luck

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just realised this post is in the insulin pump forum. Maybe a mod should move it to the pregnancy forum????