denisfeather

Hello everyone,

Nice to meet you all on this forum. Have read some very interesting posts before making an account here.

I struggle with Reactive Hypoglycemia, i have been told to eat more protein, low carbohydrate and more fat to ease my symptoms. I must say it is working but it is very hard getting used to this diet.

What i wondered for advice, is in a few months, i have to travel alot for work and will be staying at various hotels. I might not always get the time to eat everything perfectly low carbohydrate as i will be on the go. Has anyone tried any herbs that might help decrease insulin release or slow down the digestion process, my dietitian will be talking to me about this on my next appointment, which is in another 2 months.

If anyone has any experience with any herbs or medications that helped with their Reactive Hypoglycemia i would be grateful. I know some people have had success with Cinnamon and this eases their symptoms despite adding more carbohydrate to their meals.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone,

Nice to meet you all on this forum. Have read some very interesting posts before making an account here.

I struggle with Reactive Hypoglycemia, i have been told to eat more protein, low carbohydrate and more fat to ease my symptoms. I must say it is working but it is very hard getting used to this diet.

What i wondered for advice, is in a few months, i have to travel alot for work and will be staying at various hotels. I might not always get the time to eat everything perfectly low carbohydrate as i will be on the go. Has anyone tried any herbs that might help decrease insulin release or slow down the digestion process, my dietitian will be talking to me about this on my next appointment, which is in another 2 months.

If anyone has any experience with any herbs or medications that helped with their Reactive Hypoglycemia i would be grateful. I know some people have had success with Cinnamon and this eases their symptoms despite adding more carbohydrate to their meals.

Hi and welcome to our forum @denisfeather.

I travel quite a lot, and restrict myself to some meat prepared beforehand, or a boxed salad. I also fast, as this should not trigger any insulin.
Hotels can be and should be very accommodating to you. I have only come across one chain of hotels that haven't got a RH option on their menu. I always ask for the chef and ask relative questions about how they prepare food. They oblige and will probably prepare a freshly cooked low carb meal for you.
Breakfast are usually really good. Nowt like a premier inn English breakfast, all cooked fresh in an oven, no oils, bacon, poached eggs, sauteed onions and mushrooms, tomatoes, and seconds if you want them, washed down with copious mugs of black tea.
That will last me till evening.
I don't use herbs. Only when I fancy a sausage or burger which are home made and herbs are added, I have never noticed any difference.
Meds, my endocrinologist started me on a diabetic drug called Januvia, which is the trade name of Sitagliptin.
What this does, is if you go hyper because of too many carbs, the spike is reduced because the chemical change causes a better first insulin response, so the need for a secondary response is not necessary.
I don't need to take the drug but you never know how you react to the food you eat.
I went through a number of tests to verify that it helped with initial insulin response.
It is not a cure, indeed, there can be side effects. So it is not suitable for everyone.
My last hypo occurred during this test.

Dietary control is the most important treatment for RH. I have not had a hypo for four years, not because of the drug but eating very low carb and being in continuous ketosis.

I have found that intermittent fasting will help with control. I do not keep to the usual meal times, I only eat when I want to and usually not much.

You may be advised to eat every three hours or so. I did this for the first few months after diagnosis, it did help, but it was a pain, once I found that I didn't have to eat regular especially at work, so I didn't. You may have to wait until your insulin levels are low, and you are getting regular normal blood glucose levels before meals.
Which is where you should aim to be as much as possible.
Have you found which foods you have an intolerance to?
What tests have you had?
Do you keep a food diary?

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Reactions: fumanchu