Changing My Career

GatoMessi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What sort of career will suit to people with Type 2 (on metrformin) ?

I do not want to be stuck working on the computer all day, as I feel it isn't good for me with lack of exercising. To be honest, I wish to go back to college to learn something else. To become a travel vlogger has always been on my mind, and it will help me to balance things between "going out" and doing computing work (for example editing).

When I went to Australia for a month in January (booked a week before - only £550 flight), and came back, feeling better, but now I am back to square one.

What about you? How's your living in term to your diabetes type 2?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't see how being a T2 should affect your choice of career. Do what you want to do.

Reactions: xxTinksxx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there are lots of reasons for changing career path, retraining and getting out from behind a desk.
But i don’t think that T2 is the best reason to do those things, and I certainly don’t think they are a necessary way to cope with T2.

I have a sedentary desk job. It fits my experience and skillset - and the older I get, the more my knees and back appreciate not being on the go all day.

But nor do I want to sink into a blob on the sofa all day. I have dogs, a garden, active holidays and we live close enough to the high street that walking is a better option than driving. No gym. No excitement, sky diving or treks in the Himalayas. All very normal and run of the mill, but it all adds up to a steady beneficial effect on my health.

So I suppose I am saying, shake your life up, if you want, but don’t use Diabetes as an excuse, or a blame.
Just live your life how you want, and control your diabetes to fit in with that.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why don't you come to the Netherlands to sail with guests on one of those ships? You won't get paid a lot but it's great fun!
394446_3160308345061_658739501_n.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds fantastic, where do I SIGN UP...;)
You become a member of "Werk in the chartervaart" on facebook, you get a 'dienstboekje' at the SAB in rotterdam and you visit a doctor for a quick medical. Then you post on the facebook page that you are looking for work on a ship and someone will want you right away or at the last within a week or two. Easy as that.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I do not want to be stuck working on the computer all day, as I feel it isn't good for me with lack of exercising.
Welcome to the forum @GatoMessi. What you eat is more important in controlling T2 than exercise, unless perhaps you become a professional marathon runner.

GatoMessi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @GatoMessi. What you eat is more important in controlling T2 than exercise, unless perhaps you become a professional marathon runner.

I am controlling on what to eat. Went from 110 to 86 (Latest), but my eyes sensitively aren't getting better.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's a good reduction. Your retinopathy should improve as your blood glucose gets lower.
I am retired but I did a fairly physical job when I was working. I became T2 after I retired, partly due to becoming more sedentary, but combined with other factors. I did exercise more after diagnosis, walking 20-30,000 steps a day. But it was by a fairly spartan diet, just eating one small meal a day for 4 months that reduced my HbA1c.
There's a saying that you can't exercise your way out from a bad diet.
Exercise does help but not that much. There are a number of people on here who are unable to exercise because of disabilities, but have reduced their bg levels by lchf.

But if you feel you need a change of career, go for it!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I do not want to be stuck working on the computer all day, as I feel it isn't good for me with lack of exercising. To be honest, I wish to go back to college to learn something else. To become a travel vlogger has always been on my mind, and it will help me to balance things between "going out" and doing computing work (for example editing).

When I went to Australia for a month in January (booked a week before - only £550 flight), and came back, feeling better, but now I am back to square one.

What about you? How's your living in term to your diabetes type 2?

First question: can you make a living as a vlogger? Or is this a sideline where other income funds the travel and you are just writing and videoing about your travels for your own satisfaction?

Second question: going back to college (are you UK based?) can be a very expensive thing to do, and you will either need a loan or an independent source of income. What did you think of studying at college?

Am I right in guessing that you work in the IT industry and are fed up? Looking for a change in direction but not hurting for immediate funds?

Whatever, T2 shouldn't affect your choice of future career apart from being aware that more exercise and less cake can be helpful. You can even change your lifestyle (exercise before work, lunch time, after work) and perhaps take up a travel related hobby such as long distance cycling which you can vlog about without giving up your job.

Bottom line; T2 is largely irrelevant.

GatoMessi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a good reduction. Your retinopathy should improve as your blood glucose gets lower.
I am retired but I did a fairly physical job when I was working. I became T2 after I retired, partly due to becoming more sedentary, but combined with other factors. I did exercise more after diagnosis, walking 20-30,000 steps a day. But it was by a fairly spartan diet, just eating one small meal a day for 4 months that reduced my HbA1c.
There's a saying that you can't exercise your way out from a bad diet.
Exercise does help but not that much. There are a number of people on here who are unable to exercise because of disabilities, but have reduced their bg levels by lchf.

But if you feel you need a change of career, go for it!

30,000 steps a day, that's abut 12-15 miles, 4-5 hours a day! I eat 3 meals a day, morning just cereal, afternoon salads. evening: fish or chicken with vegetables, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes it did take around 4 hours a day, but I had the time as I was retired. Over the last year I try to do at least 10,000 steps a day, though over the last few days I've had to struggle wit that as I have a bad knee. I hope it's just temporary and not something permanent caused by my walking.
Your meals sound good, except for the cereal. Cereals are high carb. Eggs, bacon, mushrooms or fried tomatoes would be more low carb.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
30,000 steps a day, that's abut 12-15 miles, 4-5 hours a day! I eat 3 meals a day, morning just cereal, afternoon salads. evening: fish or chicken with vegetables, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli.
You may want to rethink the cereals for breakfast.

GatoMessi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First question: can you make a living as a vlogger? Or is this a sideline where other income funds the travel and you are just writing and videoing about your travels for your own satisfaction?

Second question: going back to college (are you UK based?) can be a very expensive thing to do, and you will either need a loan or an independent source of income. What did you think of studying at college?

Am I right in guessing that you work in the IT industry and are fed up? Looking for a change in direction but not hurting for immediate funds?

Whatever, T2 shouldn't affect your choice of future career apart from being aware that more exercise and less cake can be helpful. You can even change your lifestyle (exercise before work, lunch time, after work) and perhaps take up a travel related hobby such as long distance cycling which you can vlog about without giving up your job.

Bottom line; T2 is largely irrelevant.
1) Yes, we can, but don't expect to get rich overnight though. I will do videoing more than writing, but not just for my own satisfaction. (I did HNC Travel & Tourism about 20 years ago as well as BSc Mathematics (dropped out)

2) There is "Student Loan" for HND/Bsc course which I won't be making any repayments until I've earned at least £21k a year. Also DSA (Disabled Student Allowance) as I am profoundly deaf.

Actually I work as online fashion, but the business is being declined anyway, so it is a good time to make a career change and less stressful. Being online all the time will not help me. I would have started a course last September, but I was newly diagnosed last June, and feared my "unknown" future. It was "coding" I was thinking about last year before I was diagnosed.

GatoMessi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it did take around 4 hours a day, but I had the time as I was retired. Over the last year I try to do at least 10,000 steps a day, though over the last few days I've had to struggle wit that as I have a bad knee. I hope it's just temporary and not something permanent caused by my walking.
Your meals sound good, except for the cereal. Cereals are high carb. Eggs, bacon, mushrooms or fried tomatoes would be more low carb.

Cereals like Weetabix, porridge????

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, cereals like porridge and weetabix are high carb - I looked at some weetabix yesterday and they were 70 percent carbs - far too high for me, I set my limit at 10percent.
I always used to look enviously at the grand old vessels we encountered in the Solent when I was sailing on a tiddly little Bermudan sloop.

GatoMessi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, cereals like porridge and weetabix are high carb - I looked at some weetabix yesterday and they were 70 percent carbs - far too high for me, I set my limit at 10percent.
I always used to look enviously at the grand old vessels we encountered in the Solent when I was sailing on a tiddly little Bermudan sloop.

I checked Google after I was diagnosed which is good and not. They aren't reliable then!

So what do you eat for breakfasts?