Dexcom G6

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
well after a little humming and arring I have pre ordered a G6 on a mnth trial, once it arrives I will post what I think of it

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Gaz-M i’ve also been looking at this so would be interested to know how you get on.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I’m resisting until my g4 transmitter runs out it’s on month 6

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Hi @Gaz-M i’ve also been looking at this so would be interested to know how you get on.
will let you know Juicyj, ordered but on pre-order but hopefully here by the end of the month

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got an email today telling me mine is being shipped now and will be with me by next week.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine arrives today. I'll have to be patient though - my current G4 sensor has about a week to go.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has arrived & I've already hit a problem. I knew my phone wasn't on their compatibility list but it's Android 7.1.2 & I thought I'd at least be able to try the app. Unfortunately I can't even download it to try it - "This app is incompatible with all your devices". Hmmm

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It has arrived & I've already hit a problem. I knew my phone wasn't on their compatibility list but it's Android 7.1.2 & I thought I'd at least be able to try the app. Unfortunately I can't even download it to try it - "This app is incompatible with all your devices". Hmmm

try searching for the apk file outwith the play store.......you can then install it regardless.......it may still have issues but at least you can try...

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
try searching for the apk file outwith the play store.......you can then install it regardless.......it may still have issues but at least you can try...

Not sure how I can do that, I would need to know the exact name of the apk I guess?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine's due to arrive tomorrow.... I'm planning on wearing a Dexcom G5, G6, Libre and Medtrum sensor. If anyone wants to lend me a Medtronic Guardian Connect feel free...!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed to get hold of a copy of the G6 app. It installed but reports "incompatible device" & won't go any further..
Options: Buy a receiver (£240?), spend a fortune on a Samsung Galaxy S?, or buy a used Samsung Galaxy S?.
At the moment I use xDrip+ with my G4 & fortunately it looks like that's now working with the G6 (thank you Jamorham) so that's the way I'll go.
Shame though, I'd have liked to try the Dexcom software. Perhaps they'll expand their list of compatible devices.

srhare90

I got the G6 a few days ago (I bought a receiver as well because I'll need it for work) but I've managed to get the app on my non-compatible phone.
If you Google build your own dexcom app and then find the option which is titled '[OC] Build your own Dexcom G5 Android App - no phone limitations' then you should be able to get set up.
It's a reddit site with a link to take you to a Google form that then sends you an email to a Dropbox file which is the apk you need. It says G5 but the page it takes you to is for the G6 as well. I was a bit unsure and it does seem a bit dodgy with all the links but it seems to be clean.
It lets you set a few options before you download it. I've downloaded it using all of the default options and it has worked flawlessly for a few days (with the exception of once telling me that my phone was incompatible and then all I had to do was click ok or next and it worked).

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got the G6 a few days ago (I bought a receiver as well because I'll need it for work) but I've managed to get the app on my non-compatible phone.
If you Google build your own dexcom app and then find the option which is titled '[OC] Build your own Dexcom G5 Android App - no phone limitations' then you should be able to get set up.
It's a reddit site with a link to take you to a Google form that then sends you an email to a Dropbox file which is the apk you need. It says G5 but the page it takes you to is for the G6 as well. I was a bit unsure and it does seem a bit dodgy with all the links but it seems to be clean.
It lets you set a few options before you download it. I've downloaded it using all of the default options and it has worked flawlessly for a few days (with the exception of once telling me that my phone was incompatible and then all I had to do was click ok or next and it worked).

Interesting! Thank you. (Though it does sound a bit dubious)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've not started using the G6 yet. Planning on doing so when the current G5 sensor dies.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed to get hold of a copy of the G6 app. It installed but reports "incompatible device" & won't go any further..
Options: Buy a receiver (£240?), spend a fortune on a Samsung Galaxy S?, or buy a used Samsung Galaxy S?.
At the moment I use xDrip+ with my G4 & fortunately it looks like that's now working with the G6 (thank you Jamorham) so that's the way I'll go.
Shame though, I'd have liked to try the Dexcom software. Perhaps they'll expand their list of compatible devices.

I would like to use mine with xDrip as well, but even after setting the settings to where it should be at, it doesn't seem to pick it up at all. Anyone got any ideas on this? Somebody said I should Force Stop the Dexcom App in order for xDrip to pick it up, but, i'm a bit afraid of doing that.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to use mine with xDrip as well, but even after setting the settings to where it should be at, it doesn't seem to pick it up at all. Anyone got any ideas on this? Somebody said I should Force Stop the Dexcom App in order for xDrip to pick it up, but, i'm a bit afraid of doing that.

Hi, I haven't actually started mine yet as the current G4 sensor is still running OK. You'll need the latest "nightly" xDrip+ as Jamorham is currently working on G6. I suggest if you have specific questions that you contact him on Github: https://gitter.im/jamorham/xDrip-plus

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
01/07 nightly build of xDrip+ allows you you to start and stop the G6!