Metformin Sickness

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and as past 3 years have taken metformin 500mg once daily with breakfast to help with insulin resistance in the morning. We are now trying to get hba1c lower for pregnancy so my pre pregnancy nurse has upped the metformin to twice a day.

I feel so ill with it. Diarrhoea maybe twice a day which I can cope with but the horrible taste in my mouth and never ending nausea are horrific. I spoke to her about it but she said it should settle in a week or two. Is this true? Is there anything I can do in meantime to help ease the side effects? I always take it with food and drink plenty of water. She wasn't keen on prescribing the slow release but not sure why.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
She wasn't keen on prescribing the slow release but not sure why.
It may not have been approved for pregnancy??? For obvious reasons, they have to be very very careful about what drugs they use during pregnancy.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may not have been approved for pregnancy??? For obvious reasons, they have to be very very careful about what drugs they use during pregnancy.
Yes I thought it was most likely that but wasn't 100% sure. Just wanted to put as much information as I could into my question

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope that it does settle down, but it doesn't for everyone - I lasted five weeks and it was just getting worse.

Reactions: sjm1308

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope that it does settle down, but it doesn't for everyone - I lasted five weeks and it was just getting worse.
Oh no we are due to begin our ivf cycle in 5 weeks. My hba1c is 57 at the moment so it's just to tighten my control as much as possible. I'll give it a bit of time.