Scientific Article On Lada: Current Status And New Horizons

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s always nice to find a new article on LADA. This is definitely a scientific article, but I thought it was interesting. Mentions some areas in which LADA has different prognosis from T1 or T2. . Also interesting that they talk about genetic differences. At the end they also talk about different treatments.
Yes, it is one you have to wade through, not a casual read, but thought I’d share.

https://www.e-enm.org/DOIx.php?id=10.3803/enm.2018.33.2.147

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, always good to read new articles about LADA - even if I do keep stopping to look up words!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You can also search PubMed. Lots of LADA peer review articles there.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A great article. One problem is that it doesn't address those of us who exhibit all the characteristics of LADA but have negative GAD but low c-peptide. What are we? I call myself LADA as I have degraded beta cells, low insulin resistance, have a good BMI (23) and need insulin. My honeymoon period has been long - perhaps up 5 to 10 years. I have never been overweight in my life. I still believe there is a wider range of causes of beta cell degradation such as viruses and look forward to more research reports in this area.

Reactions: nyalam

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
A great article. One problem is that it doesn't address those of us who exhibit all the characteristics of LADA but have negative GAD but low c-peptide. What are we? I call myself LADA as I have degraded beta cells, low insulin resistance, have a good BMI (23) and need insulin. My honeymoon period has been long - perhaps up 5 to 10 years. I have never been overweight in my life. I still believe there is a wider range of causes of beta cell degradation such as viruses and look forward to more research reports in this area.
Can’t recall where, but I read one article where they wanted to subdivide LADA into 3 or 4 types. I think the bottom line is that they really don’t know.
Just curious, but did they check the other autoimmune labs? Some say they want 2 or more of the different labs positive before they diagnose LADA. Then there are those who say if any of the labs are positive the diagnosis is positive.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s always nice to find a new article on LADA. This is definitely a scientific article, but I thought it was interesting. Mentions some areas in which LADA has different prognosis from T1 or T2. . Also interesting that they talk about genetic differences. At the end they also talk about different treatments.
Yes, it is one you have to wade through, not a casual read, but thought I’d share.

https://www.e-enm.org/DOIx.php?id=10.3803/enm.2018.33.2.147
Thanks, very interesting and valuable. Makes me wish I could get my GP to prescribe basal insulin for me (in the hopes of preserving beta cells longer) but unless/until my results deteriorate there's no hope of that. I see you are not yet on insulin. How do you feel about that?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One problem is that it doesn't address those of us who exhibit all the characteristics of LADA but have negative GAD but low c-peptide. What are we? I call myself LADA as I have degraded beta cells, low insulin resistance, have a good BMI (23) and need insulin. My honeymoon period has been long - perhaps up 5 to 10 years
It seems to me you are currently doing the best possible for yourself and succeeding very well in prolonging your honeymoon period. What more could you get from a more precise diagnosis?

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, very interesting and valuable. Makes me wish I could get my GP to prescribe basal insulin for me (in the hopes of preserving beta cells longer) but unless/until my results deteriorate there's no hope of that. I see you are not yet on insulin. How do you feel about that?
Since I eat LCHF/Keto, my glucose is generally controlled for the moment. I figure I am preserving some beta cells by not asking them to do much. Current weekly average is 91 or 6 with range of 70’s to a very rare 150’s (4.6-9.9). I have a Libra which I use with a MiaoMiao and the Spike app, so I should know when my pancreas gives out. (Such a “fun” thought.). The only thing I want at the moment is metformin. With any exercise or stress, exercise is always a stress in south Florida due to the heat, my glucose will go from 80’s to 140’s. I want the metformin to decrease the liver dumps. Since I am currently doing OK with my diet I doubt my Endo would prescribe insulin at this time.

Reactions: Geoffno6

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think one of the challenges for researchers, doctors and patient alike is that more refined tests may produce a greater number of results that seem to fall across two previous categories ( e.g.T2D and LADA), or results which stretch the category itself (e.g LADA). We live in a sea of uncertainty.
What is suggested is that our genetic make-up is so varied across a population and populations that we end up with a myriad of sub-categories. Scientists and doctors like, it seems, to be able to pigeonhole medical conditions so that it is easier to understand them and treat them. ( of course the reality is that one is not diagnosing and treating a condition, one is treating a human individual with particular signs, symptoms and test results, who lives outside a test tube in the real world and thus is subject to the environment also affecting the way his/her genes express themselves.
In such a sea of uncertainty what we look for are experts who can tolerate this uncertainty and with consummate skill find the best fit in terms of test and treatment for each individual.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since I eat LCHF/Keto, my glucose is generally controlled for the moment. I figure I am preserving some beta cells by not asking them to do much. Current weekly average is 91 or 6 with range of 70’s to a very rare 150’s (4.6-9.9). I have a Libra which I use with a MiaoMiao and the Spike app, so I should know when my pancreas gives out. (Such a “fun” thought.). The only thing I want at the moment is metformin. With any exercise or stress, exercise is always a stress in south Florida due to the heat, my glucose will go from 80’s to 140’s. I want the metformin to decrease the liver dumps. Since I am currently doing OK with my diet I doubt my Endo would prescribe insulin at this time.
Your numbers sound great to me, apart from those very rare spikes to 150 (do you know what causes these?) and the less serious spikes after exercise. I sympathise with you about the problems of exercising in the heat, as my exercise has really suffered during our recent heat wave.

Of course I don't want my pancreas to give out, but if it does I'd like things to happen fast (though not putting me in hospital, obviously). My dread is that I will suffer gradually worsening bg despite all my efforts, but my GP will refuse to acknowledge that I have a problem until lots of damage will have been done. However I tell myself that things rarely pan out as one imagines in advance.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Your numbers sound great to me, apart from those very rare spikes to 150 (do you know what causes these?) and the less serious spikes after exercise. I sympathise with you about the problems of exercising in the heat, as my exercise has really suffered during our recent heat wave.

Of course I don't want my pancreas to give out, but if it does I'd like things to happen fast (though not putting me in hospital, obviously). My dread is that I will suffer gradually worsening bg despite all my efforts, but my GP will refuse to acknowledge that I have a problem until lots of damage will have been done. However I tell myself that things rarely pan out as one imagines in advance.
I’ve found my spikes are caused by stress, grazing, or the combination of both. While I grew up eating a sit down dinner with my family, that was the only actual meal we ate. Instead, we grazed. Since I now live alone, My tendency is to graze all the time. I have found that even if I am not eating a lot each time, eating a bit here and a bit there seems to have an additive effect on my glucose. Combine that with stress and the fact that I tend to eat when stressed.....not a good combo. Although, it’s actually quite interesting to see on my Libra. A small rise on top of a small rise on top of a small rise = a large spike. I’m trying to eat all my “snacks” back to back, like a meal. It’s helping. I also actually see how protein increases my glucose levels and can no longer ignore it or treat it like a freebie. Bummer!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve found my spikes are caused by stress, grazing, or the combination of both. While I grew up eating a sit down dinner with my family, that was the only actual meal we ate. Instead, we grazed. Since I now live alone, My tendency is to graze all the time. I have found that even if I am not eating a lot each time, eating a bit here and a bit there seems to have an additive effect on my glucose. Combine that with stress and the fact that I tend to eat when stressed.....not a good combo. Although, it’s actually quite interesting to see on my Libra. A small rise on top of a small rise on top of a small rise = a large spike. I’m trying to eat all my “snacks” back to back, like a meal. It’s helping. I also actually see how protein increases my glucose levels and can no longer ignore it or treat it like a freebie. Bummer!
This is very interesting. Dr Bernstein is insistent that food intakes should be spaced at least 4 hours apart, preferably 5. I do try to live up to this, but I sometimes feel that to live up to Dr B's insights one would have to be a robot. (Or Dr B himself, of course.) It is made more complicated for me by my gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying, a common diabetic complication). This means that sometimes my bg stays low or even falls for hours after a meal, so eating another one even after 4 hours may mean two meals will eventually hit my bg at once.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Interesting read. Thank you for posting.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That is really interesting . My readings have been getting higher and I’ve noticed in my food diary I’ve been grazing and I’m also stressed. I probably need to be more strict and see what happens.