Blood Pressure 135/90

ghost_whistler

Just had mine checked and I'm told this is pre-hypertension/almost high blood pressure. They want me to be tested again inc ase it's anomalous.

Assuming it's not, why would this be the case with a low carb diet?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not necessarily anything to do with diet. Stress, illness, weight can all affect BP.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be "white coat syndrome" my BP is always on the high side at the GP's but home test readings are fine, My DN accepts my readings and/or takes them with an old fashioned stethoscope

Reactions: AloeSvea

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too get white coat syndrome, I always take a daily reading at home for a week leading up to routine appts with my GP at his suggestion. I did it leading up to my asthma check up with a nurse recently and she didn’t bat an eyelid when I produced my notes!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could be the heat?

ghost_whistler

Could be "white coat syndrome" my BP is always on the high side at the GP's but home test readings are fine, My DN accepts my readings and/or takes them with an old fashioned stethoscope
Sure, understandable

but i've never had an issue before with BP

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure, understandable

but i've never had an issue before with BP

Might be worth getting a BP monitor and taking it at home. Sit still and relax for at least five mins, have both feet flat on the floor with your arm supported for the most accurate results.

ghost_whistler

Ok i thought they'd be more expensive. Anyway it's not something i have the spare cash for right now. The chemists did it for free so I'll have to rely on them

Just a bit concerned. The major downside to keto/low carb is that when people experience these kinds of anomalous or probematic results the communities don't really seem to want to know or have an answer. There are a lot of envagelists who talk up the lifestyle but walk away when someone has a few issues or problems etc.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok i thought they'd be more expensive. Anyway it's not something i have the spare cash for right now. The chemists did it for free so I'll have to rely on them

Just a bit concerned. The major downside to keto/low carb is that when people experience these kinds of anomalous or probematic results the communities don't really seem to want to know or have an answer. There are a lot of envagelists who talk up the lifestyle but walk away when someone has a few issues or problems etc.

Just make sure you are allowed to sit for atleast five minutes if you get the chemist to do your BP.
You could ask your GP if they have a machine they could loan you for a week to do home readings, rather than just get put straight on meds. That’s what I did to start with.
We can only talk from our own experiences and a lot of us have had success improving our health by various methods, including low carb. I don’t think people are walking away just that they can’t help if they have no experience of your situation.
I do hope you get sorted out and it was just a anomaly as you said.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't think it's the community not wanting to be involved, it's simply that there are so many variable potentially impacting something like BP, plus of course the heat we have at the moment.

It makes sense that you have this checked out, but peresonally, I wouldn't be losing any sleep over a single, isolated elevated BP.

I hope it settles down, but make sure you're well hydrated when you go for yourr retest, and arrive with plenty of time, so that you've not just been rushing around when it's next taken.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I developed very high blood pressure in my 30s. After many tests to rule out causes, it has been recorded as idiopathic - no known cause. I was at my lowest weight ever, but still overweight. It was such an insult when I'd been working so hard to get my weight under control for several years preceding. One high reading is no cause for alarm, believe me. Your BP numbers move around quite a bit from day to day. If you had the reading done in the chemist, perhaps pop back in daily for a few days to see what the numbers are? I am currently wearing a 24 hour monitor (getting it off in 2 hours.. and can't tell you how relieved I am - not the best night's sleep I've ever had!) to check whether I can start reducing my medications for high BP. After running high for years even with medication ( higher than your reading most of the time), it seems something has shifted and my new readings are down to 100/60 (from an average of 160/90) and I've experienced dizziness a bit when I stand up. So it's hard to know what might have caused your high-ish reading, but it's definitely worth pursuing and also finding out whether there's any reason behind it. I had a lot of tests including ultrasound of my kidneys to try to figure out what was going on with me, but everything checked out fine.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't say I've heard of that one Harry. Where did you learn that?
Ive also read that beetroot juice is good for high b.p. ( cant remember why, something to do with relaxing blood vessels) unfortunately, for me at least, its not so good for blood sugars and sends them too high

banshee71

my blood pressure did this at the drs, never had a high blood pressure reading in my life, then had 3 consecutive high readings at gps. Turns out it was white coat syndrome, most gps do a 24hr monitoring, they fit you with a machine, send you off to spend your day as normal and then download the readings 24hrs later...turns out my bp is actually normal- low. So it's worth asking your gp.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sure, but I can't afford anything like that

Some pharmacies also have an in-store do-it-yourself BP tester/ arm wrap that is very cheap to use - just a couple of NZD. I used my local one until I bit the bullet and bought my own (and for my partner which made it even more cost effective!). We have never looked back in terms of reassuring ourselves. Especially reassuring me, and keeping me abreast with exactly how close I am to be hypertensive.