Needing To Gain Weight To Fight Cancer

mondFi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a friend with cancer. He is now underweight and in order to face an operation needs to put on weight.

Putting on weight with carbs will feed the cancer. If he is in ketosis then (hopefully) the cancer will not be quite so happy.

So, he doesn't need to worry about putting on fat. He isn't interested in putting on lean muscle - he's just interested in gaining enough weight so that they'll operate and then possibly having enough weight left on that he can do a keto diet with any more chemo and hopefully starve that f****** cancer.

Does anyone have any experience, suggestions or ideas for how feasible it will be to put on weight on a keto diet?

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, spitting, dog poop on the pavement
More fats? Cream, butter, cheeses..That might help

Reactions: mondFi

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a friend with cancer. He is now underweight and in order to face an operation needs to put on weight.

Putting on weight with carbs will feed the cancer. If he is in ketosis then (hopefully) the cancer will not be quite so happy.

So, he doesn't need to worry about putting on fat. He isn't interested in putting on lean muscle - he's just interested in gaining enough weight so that they'll operate and then possibly having enough weight left on that he can do a keto diet with any more chemo and hopefully starve that f****** cancer.

Does anyone have any experience, suggestions or ideas for how feasible it will be to put on weight on a keto diet?

mondFi - When I needed to gain a little weight, after surgery (thankfully not for anything sinister), I upped my protein, then upped the fats too.

When I mentioned my desire to regain the weight I had lost to the ANP who was helping me manage my wound, she told me not to expect the gain to be anything like rapid, as my body already had much to cope with, and I imagine that very much applies to your friend.

The secret, as I learned, much to my frustration, is that I just had to keep at it. Eating more than we really want to, or feel we need, isn't much fun after the briefest of times.

I wish your friend well, and hope he can enjoy better health in the future.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Bullet proof coffee. I have one every day, probably worth around half a stone. 30g coconut oil and 30g butter in a largish coffee mug, microwave to melt then blend with a simple battery operated blender then add the coffee (the nicer the coffee the better eg coffee pod or filter)

Flakes almonds with double cream. Great for breakfast.